Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Didn’t know much about this guy but seeing him play and I’m actually shocked how weak a player he is. This guy is no where near so good as the player the Jets got. Not really getting this whole thing. It’s like the Jets stole a good player for a guy who isn’t going to be in the league. Very strange imo.
And you formed this opinion after watching him play two preseason games?

How f***ing dumb is that to already form that opinion? Both for Yager and for RM.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anyone saying McGroarty has looked bad for the Penguins is talking out of their ass. McGroarty looks good for the Penguins, just not "he needs to be in the NHL immediately" good. McGroarty will likely get half a season or so in the AHL and then jump to Crosby's line. He can absolutely be a 3rd line player in the NHL right now, but playing 1st line minutes in the AHL with top AHL scorers (which is what guys like Puljujarvi and Bemstrom are) is better for his development than getting 3rd line minutes in the NHL in defensive assignments. If Sullivan was willing to use his 3rd line in a more two-way or offensive role, I'd be much more inclined to put McGroarty in there. But with how Sullivan uses his bottom-6, him spending half a year in the AHL then jumping directly to Crosby's line is a better idea.

McGroarty's super high hockey IQ is his best trait from what I've seen, he simply knows where to be on the ice and anticipates plays really well. It's a very similar thing that made Guentzel a terrific winger for Crosby, I think McGroarty's upside is a more physical/bigger Guentzel. His skating is definitely really awkward, but I haven't noticed it as being a deterrent from the games I've seen. Granted, it's a lot easier to cover up poor skating if you have a high hockey IQ and know where to go. But the important part is that I think McGroarty's skating won't end up killing him as a prospect.

Great for Yager if he's doing well for the Jets as well, I liked him as a prospect although I've been unsure if he'll stick at center in the pros.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Gosh, if only someone, somewhere had told him that he may not be NHL ready, and that he shouldn't be extorting franchises without having proven anything. He burned a lot of bridges, tanked his reputation, and is going to end up in the minors anyway. I hope Vibes McGroarty happy.
From everything I’ve heard, his agent was telling him, he was always likely to play in the minors, BUT if he didn’t want to play in Winnipeg, to take the stand now so that’s what he chose to do.

It is funny that’s at least the partial demand he was making, and the first thing Pittsburgh told him they wouldn’t guarantee.

Fact is, sounds like he just didn’t wanna be part of the Winnipeg Organization.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Anyone saying McGroarty has looked bad for the Penguins is talking out of their ass. McGroarty looks good for the Penguins, just not "he needs to be in the NHL immediately" good. McGroarty will likely get half a season or so in the AHL and then jump to Crosby's line. He can absolutely be a 3rd line player in the NHL right now, but playing 1st line minutes in the AHL with top AHL scorers (which is what guys like Puljujarvi and Bemstrom are) is better for his development than getting 3rd line minutes in the NHL in defensive assignments. If Sullivan was willing to use his 3rd line in a more two-way or offensive role, I'd be much more inclined to put McGroarty in there. But with how Sullivan uses his bottom-6, him spending half a year in the AHL then jumping directly to Crosby's line is a better idea.

McGroarty's super high hockey IQ is his best trait from what I've seen, he simply knows where to be on the ice and anticipates plays really well. It's a very similar thing that made Guentzel a terrific winger for Crosby, I think McGroarty's upside is a more physical/bigger Guentzel. His skating is definitely really awkward, but I haven't noticed it as being a deterrent from the games I've seen. Granted, it's a lot easier to cover up poor skating if you have a high hockey IQ and know where to go. But the important part is that I think McGroarty's skating won't end up killing him as a prospect.

Great for Yager if he's doing well for the Jets as well, I liked him as a prospect although I've been unsure if he'll stick at center in the pros.
Seriously? How often do guys play a half season in the A and then are first liners? It’s obvious this guy isn’t nhl ready and might never be. Guys taken where he was in the draft are iffy, at best.

Reactions: hn777

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seriously? How often do guys play a half season in the A and then are first liners? It’s obvious this guy isn’t nhl ready and might never be. Guys taken where he was in the draft are iffy, at best.

Jake Guentzel did literally exactly that and that's why I used the comparison. Their skillsets (namely good shot and high hockey IQ) are extremely similar, while McGroarty sacrifices some skating for extra size. I have no doubts that McGroarty will be at least a good 3rd liner who fits well with Crosby by the end of the year.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about by saying McGroarty "might never be" NHL ready. Just a comically dumb take.

Reactions: Fordy

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
From everything I’ve heard, his agent was telling him, he was always likely to play in the minors, BUT if he didn’t want to play in Winnipeg, to take the stand now so that’s what he chose to do.

It is funny that’s at least the partial demand he was making, and the first thing Pittsburgh told him they wouldn’t guarantee.

Fact is, sounds like he just didn’t wanna be part of the Winnipeg Organization.
Let's face it, he was in for a struggle to get significant playing time in Winnipeg. The Jets have good winger depth, he wasn't going to crack the top 9 if he couldn't be a 2C. And he wasn't going to be without some development time. And maybe not at all with Brad Lambert's development. Maybe seeing his former 1st round pick USA teammate Chaz Lucius struggling to stay healthy, and down the depth chart, was enough to scare him off from being on the Moose, taking bus trips to Iowa, earning an AHL salary without anything but minimal bonuses, as the Jets are not traditionally big on signing and performance bonuses, and grinded Perfetti out of his.

The opportunity to play with a prospect poor team and get up the depth chart quick, increasing his chance for a better 2nd contract, probably had some allure.

Shlep

Sep 13, 2024
Kyle Connor played a full season in the A and then was a top liner. Also chosen later than McGroarty.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I still see this deal working out for both teams. Winnipeg needed another natural center prospect so getting Yager fits really well. He's had a real good camp but needs some more seasoning before he's NHL ready.

Even if McGroarty is a year away he's still a year closer then Yager from making it imo. He also has attributes in line with the wingers that have worked well with their top 2 centers. I'm sure he'll contribute positively for them.

I don't like what he did but I'm happy with the player we got back and think it fills more of a need.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
To be fair he has looked extremely bad and no where near an nhl talent.
In what context does he look “extremely bad”? In two preseason games?

Like holy shit. That's the amount of games you give someone to look bad or good? Just extremely jumping the gun.

How some can say Yeager looks amazing while McG looks awful is so damn dumb its unbelievable.

These guys are both young as hell with a ridiculous amount of growth still to be done. Neither of these guys should be counted on.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Also want to put out there that maybe the dude didn't want to continue to live in the middle of nowhere in Winnipeg.

That shit plays a part as well

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Didn’t know much about this guy but seeing him play and I’m actually shocked how weak a player he is. This guy is no where near so good as the player the Jets got. Not really getting this whole thing. It’s like the Jets stole a good player for a guy who isn’t going to be in the league. Very strange imo.
Sounds like a guy Dubas would target in a trade.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Yager will spend the season in the WHL.
McGroarty will spend half the season in the AHL and then the rest in the NHL

McGroarty is a year older and much further in his development. Yager's biggest problem is that he can't play in the AHL and his junior team will be devoid of talent. This season is going to be a waste for Yager unless Moosejaw trades him.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
When mcgroarty will be ready to contribute something meaningful to the pens Crosby will be long gone. If the reason for the trade was to help now then the trade was a failure. Gms job is to plan short term but long term also. I'm also not to heartbroken about losing a player who scores as many goals in 2 years as connor did in one in college. That doesn't scream top 6.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Also have to imagine McGroarty is thinking a bit too much right now forcing his way out and being aware he pissed off fans and will be compared to another prospect taken at the same spot he was. IDK much about him but I know other teams have prospects who should be ready underperform this time of year being in their heads wanting to prove themselves a bit too much.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think it’s anout 40% of guys picked 15 overall who play 100 nhl games. Yes, some guys picked around there become NHLers. And some get to be really good. But the odds are against that being the case. And watching this particular player (imo) he’s in the 60%.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

That’s kind of his issue right now, no? He hasn’t shown a 200’ game yet, because he’s having trouble with the pace of preseason games. At least nowhere near well enough, to be able to earn a Top 9 spot and continue to mature offensively, while playing in the NHL. There’s a big difference between the pace in these games, with regular season games as well.

Likely why they’ve seemingly already made the decision, he’s gonna need time in the AHL. Might be significant time too. We’ll know rather soon on that.

If he could keep up with the pace and had the strength, he’d be kept in the NHL, put on the 3rd line, and his natural offensive ability would come out, as he matured this year.. All while already contributing… It’s where the Pens need young guys to solidify that type of role. Then hoping they become Top 6 players.

That was how it was sold to fans. That they traded a prospect like Yager for a player who was much closer to contributing now.. during Sid’s Swan Song.

That came from Dubas, down to the media, and down to the fans. I think a lot of Pittsburgh fans somehow turned that speculation into him walking right into their Top 6, but fans do that when they’re excited about a kid.

That was never going to happen. So unless he has some sort of core injury or mental block effecting his play, someone was peddling bad information in Pittsburgh. That or Dubas overruled his scouts. I’d tend to go with the latter, as everything I could get my hands on suggested he needed time too. Maybe less time than Yager, but he was not plug and play ready.

He’s obviously not ready yet. His feet have always been an issue, and whether that’s effecting his pace issues or he can’t process the pace, only time will tell on that. I didn’t expect him be weak on pucks, and get pushed around like an 18-19 year old kid though. That’s a concern.

He’s now practicing with the second grouping of players too. Which usually means he’s not even in the equation for a roster spot. It’s probably why they haven’t put him on the ice with Sid or in the Top 6 either. If he’s having trouble with pace playing with Cody Glass, why embarrass him, out there with Sid?

Bottom line is, it’s fair to say everyone expected much more than we’re seeing.

That’s a very, very fair comment.

The entire reason many gave for the trade, was they felt McGroarty was NHL ready and Yager was 1-3 years away, as he still needs to physically mature. That he would help them now, compared to waiting for Yager.

That’s exactly how most people sold it….

It’s what I kept being told, so I bought into it too. Not that he could come right in, but I bought into that being the reason behind the trade, giving up a kid like Yager. Which seemed very counter productive on the surface. Especially after the year Yager had.

Now even more so, after watching both kids play in some games against NHL talent.

That’s the big miss here, and it’s already been a miss. Make no mistake, because that was the overwhelming reason given. That he was ready and Yager wasn’t.

Now, that all said, he’s a very talented kid who now knows what he needs to do, to play a regular shift in the NHL.

He needs to go down to the AHL and commit himself to getting stronger and playing that 200’ game. It’ll be his fastest route to playing a regular NHL shift.

The one thing they better be very careful of though? Don’t force him. You can ruin a talented kid because he’s not what you thought he was, as a General Manager. Dubas has a tendency to see these kids as pieces to a puzzle and not human beings. So they need to be careful.

Reactions: Fatass

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I still see this deal working out for both teams. Winnipeg needed another natural center prospect so getting Yager fits really well. He's had a real good camp but needs some more seasoning before he's NHL ready.

Even if McGroarty is a year away he's still a year closer then Yager from making it imo. He also has attributes in line with the wingers that have worked well with their top 2 centers. I'm sure he'll contribute positively for them.

I don't like what he did but I'm happy with the player we got back and think it fills more of a need.
Best take in the thread.:thumbu:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That’s kind of his issue right now, no? He hasn’t shown a 200’ game yet, because he’s having trouble with the pace of preseason games. At least nowhere near well enough, to be able to earn a Top 9 spot and continue to mature offensively, while playing in the NHL. There’s a big difference between the pace in these games, with regular season games as well.

Likely why they’ve seemingly already made the decision, he’s gonna need time in the AHL. Might be significant time too. We’ll know rather soon on that.

If he could keep up with the pace and had the strength, he’d be kept in the NHL, put on the 3rd line, and his natural offensive ability would come out, as he matured this year.. All while already contributing… It’s where the Pens need young guys to solidify that type of role. Then hoping they become Top 6 players.

That was how it was sold to fans. That they traded a prospect like Yager for a player who was much closer to contributing now.. during Sid’s Swan Song.

That came from Dubas, down to the media, and down to the fans. I think a lot of Pittsburgh fans somehow turned that speculation into him walking right into their Top 6, but fans do that when they’re excited about a kid.

That was never going to happen. So unless he has some sort of core injury or mental block effecting his play, someone was peddling bad information in Pittsburgh. That or Dubas overruled his scouts. I’d tend to go with the latter, as everything I could get my hands on suggested he needed time too. Maybe less time than Yager, but he was not plug and play ready.

He’s obviously not ready yet. His feet have always been an issue, and whether that’s effecting his pace issues or he can’t process the pace, only time will tell on that. I didn’t expect him be weak on pucks, and get pushed around like an 18-19 year old kid though. That’s a concern.

He’s now practicing with the second grouping of players too. Which usually means he’s not even in the equation for a roster spot. It’s probably why they haven’t put him on the ice with Sid or in the Top 6 either. If he’s having trouble with pace playing with Cody Glass, why embarrass him, out there with Sid?

Bottom line is, it’s fair to say everyone expected much more than we’re seeing.

That’s a very, very fair comment.

The entire reason many gave for the trade, was they felt McGroarty was NHL ready and Yager was 1-3 years away, as he still needs to physically mature. That he would help them now, compared to waiting for Yager.

That’s exactly how most people sold it….

It’s what I kept being told, so I bought into it too. Not that he could come right in, but I bought into that being the reason behind the trade, giving up a kid like Yager. Which seemed very counter productive on the surface. Especially after the year Yager had.

Now even more so, after watching both kids play in some games against NHL talent.

That’s the big miss here, and it’s already been a miss. Make no mistake, because that was the overwhelming reason given. That he was ready and Yager wasn’t.

Now, that all said, he’s a very talented kid who now knows what he needs to do, to play a regular shift in the NHL.

He needs to go down to the AHL and commit himself to getting stronger and playing that 200’ game. It’ll be his fastest route to playing a regular NHL shift.

The one thing they better be very careful of though? Don’t force him. You can ruin a talented kid because he’s not what you thought he was, as a General Manager. Dubas has a tendency to see these kids as pieces to a puzzle and not human beings. So they need to be careful.

You're posting a lot of words while saying "I haven't actually watched McGroarty or followed along with the Penguins situation". Saying McGroarty's issue is his 2-way game or being able to play at NHL speeds is a dead giveaway that you haven't watched a second of him. McGroarty's only issue is that he's not top-6 ready right now and him playing top line minutes in the AHL is a better way to develop him than bottom-6 minutes with how the Penguins use their bottom-6. That bottom-6 issue has nothing to do with McGroarty, it's that the Penguins bottom-6 is absolutely force-fed defensive assignments and usage and it's moronic to try to develop a potential top-6 forward in that kind of role.

It's very obvious for the difference of people who are just trying to grind axes and who have actually watched the two guys play. Zero Penguins fans are unhappy with where McGroarty it and it seems like zero Jets fans are unhappy with where Yager is.

Yeah I don't get why people don't just leave it at this. Penguins fans are happy with McGroarty and Jets fans are happy with Yager, why do we need these fake posts tearing down McGroarty from outside fans who have obviously not watched them?

Reactions: surixon

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yager will spend the season in the WHL.
McGroarty will spend half the season in the AHL and then the rest in the NHL

McGroarty is a year older and much further in his development. Yager's biggest problem is that he can't play in the AHL and his junior team will be devoid of talent. This season is going to be a waste for Yager unless Moosejaw trades him.
Does he though? Under the rules is is you play 4 CHL years you dont have to go to CHL. Does yr 1 count in 20/21.he is still is WJC eligible

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Does he though? Under the rules is is you play 4 CHL years you dont have to go to CHL. Does yr 1 count in 20/21.he is still is WJC eligible

This was something that Penguins fans talked about a lot, it was confirmed that his first year does not count for a full season. He wasn’t granted exceptional status in that year and therefore could not accrue a full season, him playing in as many games as he did was just because of how late COVID pushed that season.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He is 1 game played short in chl to play in ahl I believe. Crazy he can't get an exemption

Reactions: Buffdog

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
The only thing we know with absolute certainty is that we know exactly what both of these players are going to be going forward.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
He is 1 game played short in chl to play in ahl I believe. Crazy he can't get an exemption
I don't think another year in the WHL is the end of the world for Yager. From watching him, the biggest thing he needs (in my opinion) is some time to fill out and mature physically

I know that people see different things when watching players, especially in preseason. What I was looking for was positioning in the D zone and play away from the puck. In those ways, his game is already close to "pro-ready" but he just needs time to grow a bit

Also, what a release on that kid

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think it’s anout 40% of guys picked 15 overall who play 100 nhl games. Yes, some guys picked around there become NHLers. And some get to be really good. But the odds are against that being the case. And watching this particular player (imo) he’s in the 60%.
You just quoted yourself? :huh:

Was that meant to be like an edit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad