Confirmed Trade: [PIT/VAN] Erik Gudbranson for Tanner Pearson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
This offseason Marcus Petterson's agent needs to be like there's no way you're paying him less than Gudbranson and JJ

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Good God - never seen such hideous comments regarding one player. Vancouver seems thrilled to get rid of him.

I've seen this guy fight and he's an absolute beast. Obviously this is Rutherford adding needed physicality to the Pens. Does he get no credit for doing that?

Reactions: IComeInPeace

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Meh, Pearson was nothing. As always I'll reserve judgement on the player until he plays. Everyone was wrong about Justin Schultz. Everyone was right about Jack Johnson. We'll see.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Good God - never seen such hideous comments regarding one player. Vancouver seems thrilled to get rid of him.

I've seen this guy fight and he's an absolute beast. Obviously this is Rutherford adding needed physicality to the Pens. Does he get no credit for doing that?

People see his size and assume he brings physicality - he doesn't

If you look at his underlying stats you'll see that he's having a historically bad season and may possibly be the worst active dman in the entire league. The Canucks instantly become a better team simply by not having to play him every night.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
what I find incredulous is that GMJR has watched Crosby and Malkin tear these kind of defenders apart over the years and especially in our Cup runs.

We never won with these type of players. We beat these type of players to win.

Why man?

Reactions: TNT87 and vanarchy

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

Gudbrandson bleeds shots and goals against. Not good for a defenseman. I don't care how well you fight (which he didn't do often as a Canuck), if you can't play defense as a stay at home defenseman then you don't serve a purpose.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Problem is, he was brought in and constantly expected to do that and he only dropped the gloves when he felt like it. And on top of that he was putrid offensively and worse defensively.

Case of a player not knowing his role.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
JR is slowly destroying the Pens with his reckless trades/signings for players who really don't fit our system and the type of hockey Penguins played that won them the 2 cups.
Makes you wonder how much he relied on the braintrust that the pens have since lost since 2017. Botterill and Sexton lost to Buffalo, Tocchet to Arizona, Mike Bales to Carolina, Travis Williams (COO) to NYI.

The last year and a half he's pretty much throwing darts at a wall instead of the calculated moves we saw from 2015-17.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Not when it costs 4m a year and has 2 additional seasons past this one attached to it. It would have been one thing if he was a UFA. Still bad, but at least it could have been shrugged off as "meh rental because of injuries".

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Very happy with this. After doubling down & re-signing Guddy last year I figured he'd be here for the duration of his contract. Very surprised Jim moved on.

Not sure what Pearson will bring, but its a better fit for us so we'll take our chances on him.

Think this is a good move for the Nucks, Pearson has had a tough year but he should return to being a 2nd/3rd line tweener who does a bit of everything even if he is a little vanilla.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007

He wrecked Hamonic in a fight earlier this year but I wouldn't say he's a great checker or a monster fighter. He's pretty soft for his size.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
this is the type of trade that you sweat it out and hope the guy doesn't reconsider while waiting for him to sign and seal the deal

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Makes you wonder how much he relied on the braintrust that the pens have since lost since 2017. Botterill and Sexton lost to Buffalo, Tocchet to Arizona, Mike Bales to Carolina, Travis Williams (COO) to NYI.

The last year and a half he's pretty much throwing darts at a wall instead of the calculated moves we saw from 2015-17.

I doubt Bales so much and same with Tocchet... but Botterill and Sexton leaving meant a bigger role for Guerin and I think that's what the issue is. God I hope someone hires him as a GM this summer. Then we can trade JJ/Gudbranson to them.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Pittsburgh and Kings fans, has Pearson's skating and speed taken a step back? How is it

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Gudbranson is horrible. But he could add value to a team for a playoff run, so long he’s on the third pair.

My problem with him is his defensive awareness is poor for a defensive dman. He loses players in the slot and doesn’t protect passing lanes well. Zero agility. Decent speed once he gets going, which is usually chasing.

Great locker room add and he throws down in a scrap... but as far as playing hockey... JJ2.0

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
If you look at his underlying stats you'll see that he's having a historically bad season and may possibly be the worst active dman in the entire league.

We have one who could rival him for that spot. I expect Murray to get "injured" any day now in protest. Or injured for real when one of those two dinosaurs pushes an opponent into him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad