Confirmed Trade: [PIT/TOR] Frank Corrado for Eric Fehr, Steve Oleksy & 4th in 2017

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Yeah, that's the big thing that confuses me here. He simply hasn't played at all this year, so how do we have any idea how good he is right now? All we have is the 18 game sample size from him playing in the AHL.

Either way, he's a 23 year old PMD prospect on a team who lacks PMD prospects. Oh yeah, and the Penguins gave up nothing for him. So I don't really see what there is to complain with this deal. Almost as minor of a deal as you can get.

He practiced with the Leafs the entire time until he went down to the AHL. We might not know how good he is due to limited viewings, but the Leafs management have a very good idea.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But the Leafs didn't want Fehr...that wasn't the goal of the trade. The goal was the 4th rounder.

Uh, a 4th rounder is borderline valueless. Why would the Leafs not want Fehr if they just traded for him?

Which is why the leafs wanted a 4th to take him on.
He had negative value. Corrado had 0 value.
See the difference? Surely you realize this was all about getting a pick to flex a bit of financial muscle?

Fringe players who clear waivers are more valuable than fringe players who haven't cleared waivers. Corrado doesn't have zero value because he's a 23 year old D prospect and he can be sent to the AHL.

Nothing against Corrado and I hope he gets time and then plays well for the pens. However, I'd rather have a guy whose impact/overall play has higher highs and lower lows than a guy whose just consistently a #6-8 Dman. You never know what's going to happen, but a guy who has shown upside is better than a guy whose consistently shown nothing/very little even if the first player has lower lows.

I'd be completely fine with him being a #6-#8 D. I'm not expecting him to be anything more..

He practiced with the Leafs the entire time until he went down to the AHL. We might not know how good he is due to limited viewings, but the Leafs management have a very good idea.

And teams have shown time and time again that they don't always make decisions on who to play based on who is better. Just look at what Babcock did with Cleary in Detroit.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
But the Leafs didn't want Fehr...that wasn't the goal of the trade. The goal was the 4th rounder. Just another case of the Leafs buying a pick with money other teams can't spend on the AHL.

I don't think Ron Burkle would have been struggling to pay that $2M, I doubt not wanting to pay his AHL salary had much to do with it.

As for the 4th rounder, good on them if that was their goal. If Corrado is playing well in the AHL he's worth the equivalent of a 4th rounder anyway.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
isn't frank corrado the guy who told ryan smyth in his last game that he met him at some restaurant when he was a kid?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why do you keep repeating that Corrado was waived when Fehr was waived yesterday and Olesky has been on waivers multiple times this year?

Why do you keep ignoring the only part of the deal that matters to the leafs, the 4th?

No one here cares about oleksey. Just like you shouldn't care about oleksey. Both guys are ahlers that are irrelevant. The leafs took on Fehr for a 4th and gave corrado a chance elsewhere.

Thats it. No need to argue further.

Ill be back when Corrado does nothing with the pens an isnt resigned. 29 teams passed on a guy that has no impact on the cap....lol

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
But the Leafs didn't want Fehr...that wasn't the goal of the trade. The goal was the 4th rounder. Just another case of the Leafs buying a pick with money other teams can't spend on the AHL.

The Leafs are still paying more than $1 million in cap space on Fehr if he's in the minors.

Fehr is a solid veteran 4th liner who lost his gig on a fairly decent Penguins team...I can't imagine the Leafs went out to waste ~$1.05m in cap room these next 15 months just for a late 4th round pick in a bad draft. Fehr is still an NHLer, he hasn't fallen off enough to bury less than half of his hit in the minors. Young teams need vets like Fehr and he was superfluous depth for the Pens. This deal makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Pens did this to free up contract spots
Leafs did this to grab a 4th and a forward they can expose in the draft. May mean something is in the works for a leaf veteran forward.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
I don't think Ron Burkle would have been struggling to pay that $2M, I doubt not wanting to pay his AHL salary had much to do with it.

Oh, I don't disagree that Pittsburgh can afford it, but how many other teams will trade for an AHLer making that salary knowing what they're getting is an AHLer? Not to mention the Leafs have cap space burning a hole in their pocket so might as well use it.

Corrado is an upgrade over Fehr and Olesky for sure, as there is a chance he becomes a legitimate NHLer versus either Fehr or Olesky. Maple Leafs get a fourth which is fresh hope for an NHL player in 3-4 years when they'll need it and some dead weight for a player they have 0% confidence will make the NHL. Everyone wins!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh, I don't disagree that Pittsburgh can afford it, but how many other teams will trade for an AHLer making that salary knowing what they're getting is an AHLer?

Corrado is an upgrade over Fehr and Olesky for sure, as there is a chance he becomes a legitimate NHLer versus either Fehr or Olesky. Maple Leafs get a fourth and some dead weight for a player they have 0% confidence will make the NHL. Everyone wins!

Yeah, let's just leave it at that. Neither team did bad on this deal. Pens got a younger project they can work with and a cap problem for next year fixed. Leafs got a 4th and a guy that can fit expansion draft requirements.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Uh, a 4th rounder is borderline valueless. Why would the Leafs not want Fehr if they just traded for him?

Fringe players who clear waivers are more valuable than fringe players who haven't cleared waivers. Corrado doesn't have zero value because he's a 23 year old D prospect and he can be sent to the AHL.

I'd be completely fine with him being a #6-#8 D. I'm not expecting him to be anything more..

And teams have shown time and time again that they don't always make decisions on who to play based on who is better. Just look at what Babcock did with Cleary in Detroit.

Yeah good luck with your 23 year old PMD prospect then
Lol. 29 teams must have been blind to pass on him for free but the pens rectified it by fleecing the leafs.

Good grief.

Too dumb to even continue this dialogue.

4th mystery box> 9th best dman on a horribad D corps

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Pens did this to free up contract spots
Leafs did this to grab a 4th and a forward they can expose in the draft. May mean something is in the works for a leaf veteran forward.

Stopmaking sense

The key to the deal was the 23 year old PMD. Smh

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah good luck with your 23 year old PMD prospect then
Lol. 29 teams must have been blind to pass on him for free but the pens rectified it by fleecing the leafs.

Good grief.

Too dumb to even continue this dialogue.

4th mystery box> 9th best dman on a horribad D corps

You seem overly aggressive to call this a win by Toronto or to tear down Corrado. Is this just what you do when Leafs players get traded?

And I never argued that the Penguins "fleeced" the Leafs, I said they got a decent young D and got out of a cap obligation for basically nothing. I said it was a great deal for them, and people took issue with me acting like Corrado isn't an abortion on skates for some reason. But this thread sounds eerily familiar to the Schultz thread from last year, I wonder if the end result will still be the same once Corrado is given a fair shot on a team that he fits the style of. Or maybe that doesn't happen, I have no clue. We're also arguing about Frank ****ing Corrado of all people, so maybe we should take a step back :laugh:

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

Yes, there is always a chance that they are wrong, but I'm willing to go with proven management over some hunch you might have (and 2 NHL viewings).

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah, that's the big thing that confuses me here. He simply hasn't played at all this year, so how do we have any idea how good he is right now? All we have is the 18 game sample size from him playing in the AHL.

Either way, he's a 23 year old PMD prospect on a team who lacks PMD prospects. Oh yeah, and the Penguins gave up nothing for him. So I don't really see what there is to complain with this deal. Almost as minor of a deal as you can get.

He is not a PMD. Do not expect that from him or you will be disappointed.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The 2 million dollar freed up next season will probably go to Bonino and just that alone if good for us to move Fehr unfortunately.

There is little chance the Pens re-sign Bonino.

Fehr can now be reunited with Laich on the Marlies so that is nice.

Serious question, how far down the depth chart has Pouliot fallen to not get a callup with all the Pens injuries and now they trade for two more dmen?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You seem overly aggressive to call this a win by Toronto or to tear down Corrado. Is this just what you do when Leafs players get traded?

And I never argued that the Penguins "fleeced" the Leafs, I said they got a decent young D and got out of a cap obligation for basically nothing. I said it was a great deal for them, and people took issue with me acting like Corrado isn't an abortion on skates for some reason. But this thread sounds eerily familiar to the Schultz thread from last year, I wonder if the end result will still be the same once Corrado is given a fair shot on a team that he fits the style of. Or maybe that doesn't happen, I have no clue. We're also arguing about Frank ****ing Corrado of all people, so maybe we should take a step back :laugh:

Comparing him to schultz is a joke. Different scenario.
Corrado is headed to the ahl by the way and unlikely to ever play a game with the pens. But yes ill be taking a step back from this convo.

You ahould take a step back from your expectations on corrado as well

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Given our track record with D (Niskanen, Daley, Schultz) I'll be eager to see what we can do with Corrado. He won't turn out to be the offensive dman they are but hopefully he can reach potential and be a young cost controlled depth defenseman.

On a related note, I love to re-visit those threads after we traded for Niskanen and Schultz. Over 90% negative outlook from the trading partner and many references to negative value.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I've always felt that Corrado could be a solid third pairing guy...expecting anything more than a solid #6 feels like setting yourself up for disappointment.

Not saying he can't be better than that, but I think the cap space is a bigger asset than Corrado.

He needs to be playing to make up for lost time anyway, I can't imagine the Penguins acquired him with the idea that he plays much of any role on this team this year. Next season is another story.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Comparing him to schultz is a joke. Different scenario.
Corrado is headed to the ahl by the way and unlikely to ever play a game with the pens. But yes ill be taking a step back from this convo.

You ahould take a step back from your expectations on corrado as well

No, I said that Leafs fans in here sound just like Oilers fans last year with Schultz. And I said my expectations for Corrado was him ending up a depth D and he's a decent D prospect now, so if I step my expectations back any further, I'd be expecting him to regress.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
With Hainsey and Streit added, kinda expected Pittsburgh to flip Corrado for a depth forward.

Hopefully, for his sake, Corrado doesn't get put in the press box again! :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah except that now we are stuck with Fehr on the cap for next year.

TOR has zero cap issues for next season. They have millions in cap space and no one really to spend it on. Fehr costing 2m next season is nothing. He's a good #4C who won't hurt you. I'm fine with PIT sheding a little cap, but it wouldn't have bothered me if Fehr was still here next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad