Proposal: PIT - EDM

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
kahun has showed much more than JP

Ya I’ve been loving his game and he scored a big goal Sat. He’s the kind of skilled guy they really need in their bottom six.

I can’t see trading him for a guy that is pretty clearly trending into bust territory. Silly asset mgmt.

Reactions: Extra Texture

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
You know full well that Pulujarvi has shown a ton of signs of being a good player. He has also shown consistency issues, and an inability to score when playing with the likes of Lucic, Brodziak, Khaira, etc. He's certainly shown more than Kahun so far.
And trouble scoring with McDavid or RNH or anyone else. Although I agree with you that Oiler fans overrate RNH.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And trouble scoring with McDavid or RNH or anyone else. Although I agree with you that Oiler fans overrate RNH.

Well he didn't have much time playing with McDavid or RNH. He didn't exactly deserve it either. He's a tough case, because he has the skill to play and he showed in flashes that he can be an NHL scoring winger, but he didn't show that he can carry a line on its own, or even get a line going marginally above its level.

And I never said that Nuge was overrated, and I never will. Remember, he spent a lot of time with "Stone Hands" Lucic the past couple of years. That would affect everyone's numbers.

Reactions: ujju2

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
With 2 points thus far this season, Kahun’s value is not trending in the right direction. Puljujarvi is a p/gp player in a league that most would say is slightly higher than the AHL. So, at this point value seems fair.

JP has played bottom 6 in the NHL with a franchise with arguably the worst bottom 6 in the league. Also, Kahun is 3 years older than JP.

So, IMO, the difference is Kahun’s ceiling is Puljujarvi’s floor.

I would not support the Oilers making this move.

I would rather let him rot in Finland than see him succeed in Pittsburgh for the equivalence of a player like Kahun.

Except Poolparty has yet to reach that floor.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Well he didn't have much time playing with McDavid or RNH. He didn't exactly deserve it either. He's a tough case, because he has the skill to play and he showed in flashes that he can be an NHL scoring winger, but he didn't show that he can carry a line on its own, or even get a line going marginally above its level.

And I never said that Nuge was overrated, and I never will. Remember, he spent a lot of time with "Stone Hands" Lucic the past couple of years. That would affect everyone's numbers.
He played more with RNH last year than anyone else and McDavid 2nd most the year before.

RNH is pretty overrated. This shows a lot of players better off without him, like just about everyone:

nugenry93

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He played more with RNH last year than anyone else and McDavid 2nd most the year before.

RNH is pretty overrated. This shows a lot of players better off without him, like just about everyone:

nugenry93

Who was the other player on that line though? As I said, it was Lucic. They were basically playing shorthanded with Lucic dragging down the left side. These stats don't mean much as it doesn't take into account linemates other than RNH. Yet another advanced stat that doesn't mean as much as people think it does.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Who was the other player on that line though? As I said, it was Lucic. They were basically playing shorthanded with Lucic dragging down the left side. These stats don't mean much as it doesn't take into account linemates other than RNH. Yet another advanced stat that doesn't mean as much as people think it does.
It takes into account every line mate RNH has had last year. There’s obviously a common denominator when every player gets better without RNH. Really unless he had McDavid, Klefbom or Larsson dragging him around he was pretty bad:
nugenry93

At the very least playing with Lucic nothing was really happening out on the ice with Jesse for either team. But I agree it wasn’t good for Jesse’s offense.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It takes into account every line mate RNH has had last year. There’s obviously a common denominator when every player gets better without RNH. Really unless he had McDavid, Klefbom or Larsson dragging him around he was pretty bad:
nugenry93

At the very least playing with Lucic nothing was really happening out on the ice with Jesse for either team. But I agree it wasn’t good for Jesse’s offense.

You seriosuly don't see the flaws in a chart like this? This is the "evidence" you are using to state that Nuge is a bad player? It's weak at best.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Bookmark this thread cause i feel like in a couple months when DK settles in the system Pens fans won’t be so eager to deal him for refurbish projects ... he seems to on paper fit their system and has been looking better each game...

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
You seriosuly don't see the flaws in a chart like this? This is the "evidence" you are using to state that Nuge is a bad player? It's weak at best.
First it’s charts, *plural. It seems to be good enough that you can’t provide anything to refute it so far other than your emotional reaction. But I’d be happy to see any evidence you have.

But we are going a little OT here. The original point was it’s factually wrong that Jesse played only with bottom 6 scrubs when he played the most with RNH last year and 2nd most with McDavid the year before.

My other question for Oiler fans is why does Jesse want out? With a new GM and a new coach, why does he still want out? Does he have a problem with the other players? Seems that’s all that’s left to not like being a part of from last year to this year.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
:edmonton
Dominik Kahun

:pens
Jesse Puljujarvi

Simple one for one trade. Edmonton gets their speedy middle 9 forward and Pittsburgh buys a lottery ticket.

And why does Pittsburgh want a lottery ticket when they already have a nice young cheap speedy middle 6 forward?

That said I'm shocked that this wasn't a Bjugstad post. I was certain that was what I was going to see when I saw who the OP was.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
First it’s charts, pleural. It seems to be good enough that you can’t provide anything to refute it so far other than your emotional reaction. But I’d be happy to see any evidence you have.

But we are going a little OT here. The original point was it’s factually wrong that Jesse played only with bottom 6 scrubs when he played the most with RNH last year and 2nd most with McDavid the year before.

My other question for Oiler fans is why does Jesse want out? With a new GM and a new coach, why does he still want out? Does he have a problem with the other players? Seems that’s all that’s left to not like being a part of from last year to this year.

Plural*

Maybe give your statements a once over if you are going to give someone a hard time for their grammar. Just a bit of advice so you won't look foolish in the future like you do right now.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Plural*

Maybe give your statements a once over if you are going to give someone a hard time for their grammar. Just a bit of advice so you won't look foolish in the future like you do right now.
Good thing you are here to help with a typo on my phone, hope it made your day. To help you with your reading comprehension so you don’t look foolish in the future, my point wasn’t grammar it was that I didn’t just cherry pick a single chart.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How's his Dominik Kahun's defensive game? Can he play Tippett hockey?

He's got two points on the year
and I bet if JP played in the bottom-6 on the Oil, he'd have more than that. Kahun better be excellent defensively.

From reports from Chicago fans his defensive game is good and nothing I've seen from him yet challenges that. He's not some defensive ace, but he can hold his own. He had a rough camp/preseason and his first few games here were poor. However he has looked better over the last few weeks.

Something to keep in mind is that Pittsburgh has missed their 2+3Cs for most of the season so far along with Gally (2nd best winger). That's a lot of skilled players that play high in the lineup. And while that gives Kahun more minutes, it's also really lowering his quality of linemates - McCann/Bleuger instead of Malkin (missed 10 games) or Bjugstad (missed 9 games). And while it doesn't count for anything, I think he's easily the team leader in posts hit so far (at least 2, maybe 3), but at least he's getting his chances.

That said I don't think I'd make this move. Maybe closer to Dec when PIT can see more of Kahun and what exactly he might end up being.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $950.00