Confirmed Trade: [PIT/CAR] Ron Hainsey traded to Pittsburgh for 2017 2nd Round Pick and Danny Kristo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Canes fans have been saying for a while that Hainsey would get a 2nd. PK expertise is underrated here but valuable for Playoff teams.

This elevates Hanifin for the Canes and let's them see what they have in Haydn Fleury.

He's a good PK'er, correct? The Pens need help there. If he's going to boost the PK it would be well worth a 2nd.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Either Calgary got Stone for cheap or Stone just flat out sucks lol.

I agree Stone went for cheaper than most expected but there really isn't a major difference between CGY 3rd and PIT 2nd considering PIT has a very good chance of making it to the conference final and seeding very low in the draft. There's a realistic chance it could be as little as a 15 spot difference, which at that point in this draft isn't huge.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He's a good PK'er, correct? The Pens need help there. If he's going to boost the PK it would be well worth a 2nd.

Hainsey was one of the top PKers for the Canes who had the top PK in the league. Probably 2nd best D there next to Slavin.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Wow, looks like HF called its shot with this one. Hainsey to the Pens was suggested a few days ago by Canes fans and roundly agreed upon.

Second though? Eesh

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
...John Chayka did a great job with coming up with the worst possible value for Stone.

rho

May 30, 2011
For those saying "overpayment", let's remember that the Penguins are 3rd in the league right now, so their 2nd round pick is worth less than an average 2nd round pick.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Seems a tad steep, but maybe there were multiple teams willing to give up a 3rd+ and perhaps offering up a 2nd is simply what it took to separate from the other teams looking to help their PK. (Edit - looks like their was 50% retention as well)

Either way, it's always nice to see a longtime vet (likely) get his first shot at the playoffs. Happy for the guy.

Mad Brills*

Hainsey is a UFA to be so the retention is pretty meaningless for Carolina.

Yup.

You can always upgrade the pick a round or two with retaining salary on an expiring ufa.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Never mind. There is retention. Still, 2nd vs 3rd for Hainsey vs Stone? Less bad but not great for AZ.

I'd consider Hainsey as a better rental than Stone, so I'm not sure I agree. Hainsey is a GREAT PK guy and Stone has had a pretty bad season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad