Confirmed Trade: [PIT/CAR] Ron Hainsey traded to Pittsburgh for 2017 2nd Round Pick and Danny Kristo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I'm as curious about the salary retention as I am the trade itself. Hainsey will be a solid pickup.

If you think they "look" in any sort the way they did last year, I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you.

I stated their record is good, but in no way are they rolling 4 productive, fast, puck possessing lines right now or for that matter, during any of this current season.

They look significantly better than they did at this point last season.

When healthy, this is a contender or favorite. The Pens forum is all doom & gloom. I understand, in a sense, but this is a really good team you're watching. Don't let an amazing run last year spoil you.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Almost no statistal difference in success rate between 28 and 33... this is where luck plays a bigger role in success than your evaluation skills do

That said... there's always someone that thinks they know something you dont... someone willing to trade up to play their hunch

28 is more valuable than 33... but likelihood of either pick giving you a better player than hainsey is less than 50%

Most these picks fail... if you want a chance to succeed you need as many tries as you can get. But most of these picks will fail

Statistically 50 percent of you even getting one game from the pick. A one in four chance of more than a season.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
A bigger problem on this board (like the guy you quoted) is people saying what they want to be true instead of what they really believe to be true. :laugh: I guess it's human nature.

Check out the main board. Threads already giving Washington the Cup. Ovechkin, Backstrom and Trotz have never won two rounds.:shakehead

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Check out the main board. Threads already giving Washington the Cup. Ovechkin, Backstrom and Trotz have never won two rounds.:shakehead

It's always a logical fallacy to assume because something hasn't happened that it CAN'T happen.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm surprised Hainsey got a 2nd honstlyz is he having a really good year or something?

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
It's crazy that Pouliot isn't even getting a look right now. These games don't even matter and there's obviously gapping holes on defense judging by this trade. Has he been that bad since he got back from injury?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
It's crazy that Pouliot isn't even getting a look right now. These games don't even matter and there's obviously gapping holes on defense judging by this trade. Has he been that bad since he got back from injury?

Hes actually playing well in AHL but the team wants him to keep playing a lot of minutes. In the past hes been brought up and sent back down breaking any rythm he had. They want to let him play in one place and gain his confidence back. JR said the plan is to let him compete for a bottom pair spot next season.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Hes actually playing well in AHL but the team wants him to keep playing a lot of minutes. In the past hes been brought up and sent back down breaking any rythm he had. They want to let him play in one place and gain his confidence back. JR said the plan is to let him compete for a bottom pair spot next season.

I hope you're right man but it seems a little like they don't think this 23 yo #8 pick can't beat someone call Ron Hainsey for a spot in the lineup right now. Isn't that a little bit of a red flag that Pouliots days are numbered?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I hope you're right man but it seems a little like they don't think this 23 yo #8 pick can't beat someone call Ron Hainsey for a spot in the lineup right now. Isn't that a little bit of a red flag that Pouliots days are numbered?

Its not a matter of beating out hainsey. Pouliot was left in the AHL on purpose. The team wants to take the Dumoulin route with Pouliot now. Leave him in the AHL until he forces your hand.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

Pouliot needs to work on his all around game and play top minutes if he wants to become an NHLer. He is still young enough but needs to work on his between the ears game and keep himself in shape.

mgd525

May 18, 2007

He was absolute trash at the NHL level this year. He has been out played by every AHL call up this year. He's been good I guess in the AHL the last little stretch. Seems like the last hope is to just keep him in the AHL the rest of the year and hope he figures out how to be a pro.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

Why ruin his development? The problem is the team sees he's doing well, then call him back up and he doesn't look ready, he's still fairly young by defensemen standards for prospects and while I think the Pens should move on, there's logic behind letting him play in the AHL and just continue to be a key part of a good run there. If he gets claimed in the summer, so be it, but I think if he takes his time in the AHL as a growing experience, he'll come into camp ready for a spot more than before. He's gotten in better shape last summer but the Pouliot you see in the AHL, isn't the same you see in the NHL and that's the problem. Where's the guy that jumps up and isn't second guessing himself when he is called up?

Ruhwedel has a decent amount of NHL experience, so does Gaunce and Olesky, this isn't the time to give a kid another shot and hope he sticks this time when the added pressure probably won't help.

Hainsey is a solid veteran, the 2nd as more than likely because of the retention, which gave JR flexibility for another move in the coming days.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Just in case anyone was wondering, barring the Penguins somehow missing the playoffs and the Devils making an unlikely run to the playoffs, Taylor Hall will then be on the clock for longest active player without playing a playoff game at 431 regular season games (currently).

Makes you feel even worse for Hainsey as that's less than half his 891 career games played.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
What?

I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see the Caps finally break through.

Possibly. But Trotz is starting to climb into that Marty Schottenheimer stratosphere of failed coaching. Meaning he is consistently great during the regular season but always seems to fail when it matters most. No matter the team he is given.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Being from Winnipeg you are sympatico with Washington fans and knowing only early exits from the NHL playoffs.

Being from Winnipeg...... I am very familiar with Hainsey. The running Joke was that he was going to score multiple goals each game.

The only problem was they were on his own goal. He has a gift of being in the right place to have the puck go off strange parts of his body and end up in the back of his own goal.

I will think back to this post when Ovi bounces one of Hainseys ass in Overtime to eliminate Pittsburgh from this year's Stanley Cup playoffs.:popcorn::popcorn:

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Being from Winnipeg...... I am very familiar with Hainsey. The running Joke was that he was going to score multiple goals each game.

The only problem was they were on his own goal. He has a gift of being in the right place to have the puck go off strange parts of his body and end up in the back of his own goal.

I will think back to this post when Ovi bounces one of Hainseys ass in Overtime to eliminate Pittsburgh from this year's Stanley Cup playoffs.:popcorn::popcorn:

good thing you don't have to think back to when the Jets made the playoffs last time...

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I would have rather seen them go after Green, but I'm okay with this. If he can help improve our PK it's worth it.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I think Mike Green would be the ultimate fit for the Pens.

the bigger question would be if they were using him on the first PP instead of Letang though... probably not and that's why I believe the price for getting Green isn't worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad