Phoenix L; AllByDesign?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Bloomberg is International.

So forgive me but I'm going to have to disagree with your view point.

Morons don't usually get hired by Bloomberg.

You're right morons get hired by CNBC. Seriously though I watch Bloomberg all day and for the most part their staff is smart an on their game, however they have weak links like any other organization.

That being said people are nitpicking about the the guy adding the word "ice" there is a reason its the "IIHF"

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
You're right morons get hired by CNBC. Seriously though I watch Bloomberg all day and for the most part their staff is smart an on their game, however they have weak links like any other organization.

That being said people are nitpicking about the the guy adding the word "ice" there is a reason its the "IIHF"

Nitpicking is right, who gives a **** if he put "ice". It is played on ice(what do you want the guy to say), there is field hockey and ice hockey, he just made sure it is ice not field.:nod:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nitpicking is right, who gives a **** if he put "ice". It is played on ice(what do you want the guy to say), there is field hockey and ice hockey, he just made sure it is ice not field.:nod:
Well you call it ice hockey and I'll just call it hockey. It may be fine where you live but people in Toronto would think I've lost it if I called it Ice hockey. Actually I'll try it tomorrow at work, I'll relay the responses.:laugh:

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
Not that I want to add to this crazy conversation but it just shows how we live in a bubble in North America....

Field Hockey is played and watched in more countries around the world than ice hockey...heck India and China with a combined population of greater than 2 billion people don't even play ice hockey but swear by field hockey.

To the guy talking about football....REAL football (or soccer as we call it) is watched and played by waaay more people than american football.

If anything we should be adding ice and american to hockey and football respectively as we are in the minority....

but I digress....so are they signing this lease or what?!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
..... madness, absolute madness. "Ice". Who gives a flying ____ what someone from Bloomberg or Bloomsbury in Central London calls it?.... which come to think of it is what they do actually call it, but anyhoo, will ya'll just stop it already?. :scared:

Dado

So there's a super-not-secret council meeting today to review the sale/lease agreement...? Is that the current state?

I'll go put some ice in my cocktail while waiting...

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

So...

Does tonight's announcement mean Jamieson has found investors?

:)

Also...

What's all this "Ice" talk? And don't spare the details.

;)

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
So...

Does tonight's announcement mean Jamieson has found investors?

:)

Also...

What's all this "Ice" talk? And don't spare the details.

;)

Who said anything about an announcement? Tonight the city government is voting on whether to give the funds that Jamison and the NHL have requested, if it doesn't happen, Jamison has to find either more investors or give up.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Who said anything about an announcement? Tonight the city government is voting on whether to give the funds that Jamison and the NHL have requested, if it doesn't happen, Jamison has to find either more investors or give up.

My bad. I thought there was an announcement.

scotchex

Oct 30, 2008
Not that I want to add to this crazy conversation but it just shows how we live in a bubble in North America....

Field Hockey is played and watched in more countries around the world than ice hockey...heck India and China with a combined population of greater than 2 billion people don't even play ice hockey but swear by field hockey.

To the guy talking about football....REAL football (or soccer as we call it) is watched and played by waaay more people than american football.

If anything we should be adding ice and american to hockey and football respectively as we are in the minority....

but I digress....so are they signing this lease or what?!

Nah, people should have cultural confidence and refer to things in a convenient way to their own culture. Who care what the rest of the world thinks. If wording we use irritates or confuses people in China or India ... then that's just too bad for them.

And soccer isn't *real* football. Always annoying when senseless twits insist on that. Different words mean different things in different countries. There's no right or wrong.

It's a sign of weakness when a culture always apologizes for the words it uses. In North America football is football, soccer is soccer, and hockey is played on ice. When I travel in other countries I adapt to their local customs, but I expect the same respect in return and won't alter my language to please their dainty sensibilities.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
A writer called the sport "ice" hockey and was deservingly ridiculed (anyplace where field hockey is popular enough to require the "ice" redundancy is a place filled with sporting philistines, may the lord have mercy on their souls).

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

A writer called the sport "ice" hockey and was deservingly ridiculed (anyplace where field hockey is popular enough to require the "ice" redundancy is a place filled with sporting philistines, may the lord have mercy on their souls).

I know. I was just joking. ;) Thank you, anyway. :)

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

I dunno... I thought it was kind of fitting. Just drove home how alien the sport of hockey is to Arizona.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

I left my scorecard in my other pants pocket. I assume that there are enough votes on the board for this to go through. Is that still the prevailing wisdom? (using the "wisdom" term lightly).

Dado

Let's just say there will be more votes for the proposal than there will goals in the next Coyotes game.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
I left my scorecard in my other pants pocket. I assume that there are enough votes on the board for this to go through. Is that still the prevailing wisdom? (using the "wisdom" term lightly).

Knaack said she needed something more than what Hulsizer gave them to approve the 25 mil. I believe Jamison has given them less, but I think it's enough for her to forget that pledge. If Knaack votes against it, Scruggs will get to vote and I'd say she'd vote nay. I think Knaack is up for re-election this year, which may persuade her one way or the other.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

The CoG will be voting to pass this no doubt. The score will be 4-3 in a shootout, with the last goal off the crossbar, but it will pass. Regardless of the Coyotes staying, the CoG has to put something in the budget to run the arena. But that is just step one. Where it goes from there we will see.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

...its all in fun. Names & nicknames. For example here in Vancouver we have the Ikea Line, looks great, but falls apart under pressure during one season. Some of CanuckNation refer to Calgarys old 3rd Jersey as a Snot Breathing Donkey. Now thats just disrespectful. The British call Hockey Ice Hockey & refer to the ice surface as a "pad", a curling term. Doesnt bother me in the least. Kinda classy axually. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad