Value of: Phillip Danault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
What could we get for him?

Consistent 50+ point two way center.

Would force us to give PLD top six minutes for better or worse. At the very least would let us convert Byfield to center full-time which both he and the organization want.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
As a Habs fan, I was pissed that MB let him walk for
Nothing for a 500k salary disparity between the two. Unreal. Classic MB disrespect like he did with Markov. We have the next Danault in Beck, but he would seriously help us and our youth now.

Sorry, needed to vent…. No offer to propose haha

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Massive overpayment.

Danault is 31 years old, coming off his worst season as a King and signed for 3 more years at $5.5 million per.

He's a borderline cap dump.

His 3 season in LA he's gotten 51, 54, and 47 points. Pretending that 47 points us some high drop off is pretty disingenuous, especially when he's known more for his 2 way play anyway.

Toronto should be all over him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Massive overpayment.

Danault is 31 years old, coming off his worst season as a King and signed for 3 more years at $5.5 million per.

Talk about hyperbole. He had 47 points in 78 games last season. That's right where he's been his whole career. If he gets 4 more points in the season he goes from cap dump to highly sought after asset again?

Danault is a solid depth center who's greatest strength is his elite defensive play.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Massive overpayment.

Worst season?

Just tell me you don't watch hockey.

Reactions: JKG33

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
#11/Krebs/Rosen/Jokiharju some of this with plus and picks adjustments if needed.

Reactions: Zman5778

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Talk about hyperbole. He had 47 points in 78 games last season. That's right where he's been his whole career. If he gets 4 more points in the season he goes from cap dump to highly sought after asset again?

Danault is a solid depth center who's greatest strength is his elite defensive play.
And you want to take the chance he'll stay at that level for his 31 to 34 year old seasons? Be my guest.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
And you want to take the chance he'll stay at that level for his 31 to 34 year old seasons? Be my guest.
Players with skill sets like Danault typically stick around longer. His game is based on intelligence. Similar reason to why defensemen develop later.

Three years at $5.5 is actually a bargain for a player like Danault. Wait until you see what Lindholm signs for.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
His 3 season in LA he's gotten 51, 54, and 47 points. Pretending that 47 points us some high drop off is pretty disingenuous, especially when he's known more for his 2 way play anyway.

Toronto should be all over him.

I mean we need a 2C going forward but not sure why we should be all over him. Our centers are already usually elite defensively. We need puck movement from the back end

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Players with skill sets like Danault typically stick around longer. His game is based on intelligence. Similar reason to why defensemen develop later.

Three years at $5.5 is actually a bargain for a player like Danault. Wait until you see what Lindholm signs for.
Defensemen don't actually develop later. Teams just have half as many roster spots available for them so they tend to break into the NHL later.

Even if you want to bet that Danault's skills won't wane as he approaches his mid 30s, he's not worth anything close to the 11th overall pick and a decent prospect. He might be worth a 3rd rounder.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Nothing for a 500k salary disparity between the two. Unreal. Classic MB disrespect like he did with Markov. We have the next Danault in Beck, but he would seriously help us and our youth now.

Letting him go is one thing... Trading for Dvorak and signing Mike Hoffman is the real issue. The 3 first years of the contract were never going to be the issue. Year 3 to 6 is when we'll see if letting him go was very that bad. Still doesn't look too good but we'll see

I mean we need a 2C going forward but not sure why we should be all over him. Our centers are already usually elite defensively. We need puck movement from the back end
Your centers are elite defensively? Who ? Matthews and Tavares?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Letting him go is one thing... Trading for Dvorak and signing Mike Hoffman is the real issue. The 3 first years of the contract were never going to be the issue. Year 3 to 6 is when we'll see if letting him go was very that bad. Still doesn't look too good but we'll see

Your centers are elite defensively? Who ? Matthews and Tavares?

I mean.. Yes. Matthews was a Selke finalist and has been elite defensively for like 4 or 5 years now. Tavares is not winning the Selke by any means but has been used as a matchup center for many years now and won those battles the majority of the time.

But I am not sure there is a center out there more elite defensively than Matthews. I'd put him with anyone.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I mean.. Yes. Matthews was a Selke finalist and has been elite defensively for like 4 or 5 years now. Tavares is not winning the Selke by any means but has been used as a matchup center for many years now and won those battles the majority of the time.

But I am not sure there is a center out there more elite defensively than Matthews. I'd put him with anyone.
Yeah that's TSN/Toronto media bias , Matthews is not elite defensively. Shouldn't have been voted for the Seller like he is. He's not bad, but elite, no way. What Matthews is elite at is goal scoring.

Didn't read the last part of your post, didn't realiZe you're a fanboy. Not worth discussing then. There are at least 10 center better defensively, namely the one this thread is about... Byebye

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Yeah that's TSN/Toronto media bias , Matthews is not elite defensively. Shouldn't have been voted for the Seller like he is. He's not bad, but elite, no way. What Matthews is elite at is goal scoring.

Find me a metric that doesn't show Matthews is elite defensively. You don't watch the player and are going off what you think the scouting report is. Matthews is amazing defensively. The combination of his elite defensive and goal scoring is why the Leafs think so highly of him

Reactions: Voight

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

When Mackinnon was asked a few years ago who he hated playing against the most as in the hardest to play, he said Danault without thinking. Danault has always been underrated. He’s a huge reason the Habs made it to the bubble finals. Yes it was a circus setup , but he was still matched up against Matthews( who disappeared) , McDavid and Stammer I think. The guys a gamer and is EXACTLY what teams who are on the cusp of winning need. If Matthew’s is playing elite defensive matchups you’re taking away from him doing what he does best. TO needs a guy like Danault or else they can continue being first round dropouts

Reactions: jfhabs

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
When Mackinnon was asked a few years ago who he hated playing against the most as in the hardest to play, he said Danault without thinking. Danault has always been underrated. He’s a huge reason the Habs made it to the bubble finals. Yes it was a circus setup , but he was still matched up against Matthews( who disappeared) , McDavid and Stammer I think. The guys a gamer and is EXACTLY what teams who are on the cusp of winning need. If Matthew’s is playing elite defensive matchups you’re taking away from him doing what he does best. TO needs a guy like Danault or else they can continue being first round dropouts

Not sure how many times it needs to be said, the Leafs problem is not and has not been defense for years and years. Their problem is OFFENSE. They literally just held the Bruins to 4 total goals in the final 3 elimination games. Meanwhile, the Leafs haven't scored more than 2 goals in a playoff game in like 3 playoff series.

The Leafs lost because their PP was 4% and their goalscoring was not found. Their defense has been at the bottom of the league for offensive results for several years. They need puck movers, PP qb, and offensive dmen as their biggest needs.

Danault is tripling down on what is not working.

Reactions: Voight

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think this was bergevin's biggest weakness. I never saw a GM for the Habs unable to retain such key free agents.

Markov, radulov, and danault lost for nothing and no reasonable plan for replacements other than hail marys.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016

I've always wondered if Toronto fans actually watch hockey, or just eat up what bought and paid for journalists say. I have my answer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad