OT: Philadelphia Union Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
Anyone think there is any possibility of us signing a good, not great or even a starter, EPL/Serie A/other top league player. We've seen Beckham, Henry, Marquez, and others come over and I was wondering if the Union would ever have a possibility of getting a guy like that.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Wasn't their talks of Cannavaro before the season? But instead he signed in Saudi Arabia IIRC. Don't know if it was anymore then speculation however.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn't their talks of Cannavaro before the season? But instead he signed in Saudi Arabia IIRC. Don't know if it was anymore then speculation however.

I remember that, but I'm pretty sure it was just speculation. If we sign a guy who is an EPL/Serie A/La Liga player, it's going to be a familiar name who's in the twilight of his career and can't hang it with the best anymore, and wants to be treated like a star in a lesser league.

IrishSniper87

Jun 25, 2007
Media, PA
I remember that, but I'm pretty sure it was just speculation. If we sign a guy who is an EPL/Serie A/La Liga player, it's going to be a familiar name who's in the twilight of his career and can't hang it with the best anymore, and wants to be treated like a star in a lesser league.

I doubt we sign an over-the-hill EPL'er. I think the Union will go after a Marquez-like DP. A younger player in his prime from Mexico, Colombia or Africa.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
I doubt we sign an over-the-hill EPL'er. I think the Union will go after a Marquez-like DP. A younger player in his prime from Mexico, Colombia or Africa.

Marquez is 32?

The Union recently made an offer to Fabio Grosso, but he turned them down. They were also reportedly turned down by Saprissa (Costa Rica) when they made a bid for a 21-year-old striker. Just have to wait a few more days to see if anything happens.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
Got tickets to the game on Wednesday. Never been to a professional soccer game. Here's hoping the US win.

Wouldn't be my choice for a first soccer game. Most people don't really care about the result tonight. It's a friendly and Mexico just embarrassed us in a cup game a couple months ago. It's our new coach's first game. Rumor has it ticket sales are pretty bad.

Check out a Union game sometime, any game.

IrishSniper87

Jun 25, 2007
Media, PA
Marquez is 32?

The Union recently made an offer to Fabio Grosso, but he turned them down. They were also reportedly turned down by Saprissa (Costa Rica) when they made a bid for a 21-year-old striker. Just have to wait a few more days to see if anything happens.

Wow, I was under the impression that he was 25. Weird. I dont watch Barca games that much (google!) so I only know they have Messi.

Grosso would be cool, but do we need a LB?

Wouldn't be my choice for a first soccer game. Most people don't really care about the result tonight. It's a friendly and Mexico just embarrassed us in a cup game a couple months ago. It's our new coach's first game. Rumor has it ticket sales are pretty bad.

Pretty bad as in I could score super cheap tickets on stubhub?

EDIT: Wow, forgot about the 9 oclock start. WTF?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Ehh, it's something to do. I'm aware of all of those factors though. You can still get tickets off of Ticketmaster basically anywhere in the stadium. Got lower level seats for $40 off stubhub so I'm not gonna complain.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yes. They traded Harvey (who I wasn't a fan of anyway) and since then they've been playing Gabe Farfan out of position. LB and striker are their needs.

I personally really like how G.Farfan has been playing. Williams has been the one killing me at RB. I also highly doubt we go after a LB. Nowak is very high on G.Farfan.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
I personally really like how G.Farfan has been playing. Williams has been the one killing me at RB. I also highly doubt we go after a LB. Nowak is very high on G.Farfan.

They've already made an offer for an LB, so...

That doesn't mean they'll definitely get one, but they've already gone after one.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
They've already made an offer for an LB, so...

That doesn't mean they'll definitely get one, but they've already gone after one.

Just saying what Nowak said. I do like G. Farfan back there though so I wont be depressed if we dont get one. Focus on getting someone that can score goals.

Also went to the US vs Mexico game. Brek Shea is a monster.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

Paunovic is an ex-la Liga player :naughty: spent 11 years there with several teams

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
Just saying what Nowak said. I do like G. Farfan back there though so I wont be depressed if we dont get one. Focus on getting someone that can score goals.

Also went to the US vs Mexico game. Brek Shea is a monster.

I wish Shea didn't look like such a d-bag. I feel like he'll be around for a while and obviously I'll root for whoever wears the colors. Not easy with that mug and that hair though. :laugh:

He's staying in town, Dallas plays the Union Saturday.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad