OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Every time I see him up, I think it's Chase Utley. They are exactly alike in they way they bat. Unreal.

He reminds me of Chase too, he plays the game the right way and from what I understand Chase has kinda taken him under his wing.

I know everybody thinks Franco is our 3B of the future but I really think Asche's got a shot at sticking over there with his glove making the difference. I would be all for trying Franco at another position at this point. I think I actually read somewhere that he was playing a lot of 1B down the stretch, maybe if Howard has another bad year he sticks at 1B.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
He reminds me of Chase too, he plays the game the right way and from what I understand Chase has kinda taken him under his wing.

I know everybody thinks Franco is our 3B of the future but I really think Asche's got a shot at sticking over there with his glove making the difference. I would be all for trying Franco at another position at this point. I think I actually read somewhere that he was playing a lot of 1B down the stretch, maybe if Howard has another bad year he sticks at 1B.

Asche-Crawford-Utley/Hernandez-Franco (3B to 1B) for the future sounds promising.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I think people are underestimating Franco. That kid can hit. Whereas Asche and Ruf have the potential to be average/above average hitters, Franco has the potential to be an all star hitter. And his defense at 3rd is a lot better than people give him credit for.

I like Asche but if it's a choice, I take Franco. It is possible to move Franco to 1st but I really like him at 3rd. There is also the possibility of moving Asche and try him in the outfield. But for the first time in a decade we have a chance at playing an awesome 3rd baseman, I want to give Franco a chance there.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I know it would be somewhat awkward for the next couple seasons, but what about Asche taking over 2B eventually?

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
With Franco's "speed" and arm strength wouldn't catcher make more sense than 1B if they were going to move him? His bat would be pretty nasty at C

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I know it would be somewhat awkward for the next couple seasons, but what about Asche taking over 2B eventually?

Apparently Asche has tried 2B and it was about as good as when Utley tried 3B. AKA really really bad.

With Franco's "speed" and arm strength wouldn't catcher make more sense than 1B if they were going to move him? His bat would be pretty nasty at C

Catcher is a real tough position to learn with more chances at getting hurt, whether it be concussions or knee or hip issues. I'd probably try outfield before catcher. But really I think it's either 3B or 1B for Franco. If you want someone to move positions, it should be Asche. Franco is simply more valuable and has a much higher ceiling. Plus, Asche has said he will try any position to remain in the big leagues. I think Franco will be ready to come up by mid next season. If you want to keep Asche, I think trying him at outfield in spring training would be the best bet.

Last edited:

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Apparently Asche has tried 2B and it was about as good as when Utley tried 3B. AKA really really bad.

Catcher is a real tough position to learn with more chances at getting hurt, whether it be concussions or knee or hip issues. I'd probably try outfield before catcher. But really I think it's either 3B or 1B for Franco. If you want someone to move positions, it should be Asche. Franco is simply more valuable and has a much higher ceiling. Plus, Asche has said he will try any position to remain in the big leagues. I think Franco will be ready to come up by mid next season. If you want to keep Asche, I think trying him at outfield in spring training would be the best bet.

Franco is too slow for the OF, so yeah it's 1st or 3rd. He has the tools to be a catcher, but to move him this late in his development would be a tough thing. And it would probably delay his arrival to the majors by two years.

As for Asche, I think we're all comparing his 3B play to Michael Young, so yeah he looks like Brooks Robinson out there. Questions about Asche's defense followed him through the minors, and although he's improved I'm not sold that he's an above average 3B defensively. I'm also not sure that his bat looks that good in left or right field.

I agree about Franco having the higher ceiling. He's not as athletic as Asche but he has a better arm and maybe better reflexes at 3B. And he has a better chance at being an impact bat. I could see Asche in the OF or Franco at 1B for a little while, just to let them both play, but I don't see it happening long-term.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Anyone scooping up cheap tickets on stubhub? I'm going to a game next week in one of the 300 sections behind home plate, tickets were 12 bucks lol.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9695449/fan-fatal-fall-turner-field-ruled-suicide

ATLANTA -- Authorities in Atlanta say the death of a man who fell over a railing at Turner Field has been ruled a suicide.

Investigators with the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office said Thursday that they discussed the death of 30-year-old Ronald Lee Homer Jr. with his family last week before releasing their findings to the media.

Police say Homer died after falling about 85 feet from a walkway on the fourth level of the baseball stadium after a rain delay in an Aug. 12 game between the Atlanta Braves and the Philadelphia Phillies. Police have said Homer, of Conyers, Ga., landed in the players' parking lot.

ComplianceBuyout

Feb 18, 2009
Montreal
I dont know if this is the right place to do this but here goes :

I got two tickets to tomorrow's (saturday) game vs the Mets. Section 136 row 9. Inbox me if you're interested

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Eskin:#phillies scheduled a news conf today at 11:30a. Sounds like Ryne Sandberg will be named manager officially. And he should be.
9:50am - 22 Sep 13

:clap:

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Anyway, good to see some of the young guys playing well. How long is Revere here for? Do you think we are better off with Hernandez in cf?

Probably not. I know Revere had some issues with playing CF this year, but I still doubt that Hernandez would be a better defensive player there. Hernandez is also riding a very high BABIP right now; he doesn't make contact at a rate comparable to Revere.

I think it would be fine to have them both on the team next year and see how they do. If there's an opportunity for a trade and they move one or both, that's fine, but I don't see it as something there needs to be a decision on too soon.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Damnit Halladay. You deserve better than to go out like this.

Compare his body to 2010 or 2011. He looks sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad