OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersguy33*

Hernandez has looked pretty good in cf and the lead off spot

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think it would be wise to risk losing a prospect just so Franco could hang out in the locker room though. Also, who knows what path his development will take. Nobody would have thought Dom Brown would take so long to get established in the majors- he ended up needing all his option years. I don't see the benefit to burning one of Franco's if he's not ready to play every day in the majors.

what do you mean to risk losing a prospect? who would they lose?

Dom Brown was just poor management, he should of been a full timer but Manuel opted to play a vet instead. But that shouldn't have anything to do with Franco imo as they are very different players.

Give the kid some time off, let him knock the crap out of the ball in the DR Winter League, come up with a fire to try to find a home on the roster in Spring. I don't think its likely, but stranger things have happened. Asche might be trade bait if they can't find a home for him.

I would say Franco making the Phils next year is highly likely, perhaps not at the start of the year but at some point.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
what do you mean to risk losing a prospect? who would they lose?

Dom Brown was just poor management, he should of been a full timer but Manuel opted to play a vet instead. But that shouldn't have anything to do with Franco imo as they are very different players.

I mean there are guys who need to be added to the 40 man roster or they'll be eligible to be taken in the Rule 5 draft. I look at a guy like Aaron Altherr, who needs to be protected and his status is sort of up in the air. He's a top 20 prospect in the system, so it would stink to lose him, even if he's not a top-tier guy. But there are only so many spots to go around, and if Franco is added to the 40 man, then that's one less.

I agree that Dom wasn't handled properly, but injuries did play into his situation and anybody can get hurt. Also, I'm not sure what you mean to imply by saying they're very different players. Brown was seen as a superior prospect to Franco at the time of his call up. Franco has a very aggressive approach and a swing that some scouts feel will leave him vulnerable to major league pitching. It wouldn't be a total shock if he had some bumps adjusting to the majors.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I mean there are guys who need to be added to the 40 man roster or they'll be eligible to be taken in the Rule 5 draft. I look at a guy like Aaron Altherr, who needs to be protected and his status is sort of up in the air. He's a top 20 prospect in the system, so it would stink to lose him, even if he's not a top-tier guy. But there are only so many spots to go around, and if Franco is added to the 40 man, then that's one less.

I agree that Dom wasn't handled properly, but injuries did play into his situation and anybody can get hurt. Also, I'm not sure what you mean to imply by saying they're very different players. Brown was seen as a superior prospect to Franco at the time of his call up. Franco has a very aggressive approach and a swing that some scouts feel will leave him vulnerable to major league pitching. It wouldn't be a total shock if he had some bumps adjusting to the majors.

I see. Altherr is an interesting case but imo there should be plently of room on the 40 man, although there is going to be some interesting choices that need to be made after the AFL season ends. Imo when you are talking about your top prospect, you do what's best for him and imo that would have been a call up as I feel he's ready despite his young age.

Brown was seen at a superior player but BA has underrated Franco so far (though he's a lock for a top 100 ranking, maybe even a top 50) Brown's struggles in the OF, in the past, I don't think he has the same head for baseball that Franco has so I consider them very different players. I fully expect Franco to experience some bumps adjusting to the majors, but hopefully he adjusts and with a new manager perhaps they will work with him better then Manuel did with the young guys.

The funny thing about Franco, he struggled in the first half of last year in Lakewood but after that he caught fire and has ligt it up ever since. I can't wait to see him as a full timer on the phils.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yea that's probably not up to date. I read he had a mid 80's fastball a couple years ago, but now is starting to touch the mid 90's. I'm guessing he's filled out a little bit a long the way.

From what i've heard that's around his correct weight. His FB I hear is mostly high 80's, it's his curve that is creating the buzz around him.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
From what i've heard that's around his correct weight. His FB I hear is mostly high 80's, it's his curve that is creating the buzz around him.

That's actually kind of crazy then cause on BA they said he was touching 94 this year. Maybe as a reliever? I know he was a reliever before being moved to the rotation. And yea I read his curve is his best pitch, and that he has good command of his fastball. Hopefully he turns into something. He's still at least 3 years away, but it looks promising for now. It would be nice to luck into a legit MLB pitcher lol.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Is it crazier than that 61 MPH curve that Darvish had :laugh:?

Remember that lefty the Phillies had for a minute a while back? RJ Swindle? I remember being at a game where he struck out someone on the mets with his 52 mph curveball, then faced David Wright. He threw that 52 mph curveball to Wright, Wright sat back on it and hit it somewhere in the vicinity of mars.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is it crazier than that 61 MPH curve that Darvish had :laugh:?

I haven't seen him live yet. I'm not even sure if his curve is as good as Biddle's who's curve is just nasty.

That's actually kind of crazy then cause on BA they said he was touching 94 this year. Maybe as a reliever? I know he was a reliever before being moved to the rotation. And yea I read his curve is his best pitch, and that he has good command of his fastball. Hopefully he turns into something. He's still at least 3 years away, but it looks promising for now. It would be nice to luck into a legit MLB pitcher lol.

He likely did touch 94 but I know from the people i've talked with that have seen him said he's mostly high 80's. It's too early to say he'll be in the pen but with the pressing need for help in the pen who knows. I wouldn't say he's at least 3 years away though, AA is a huge test for him and if he passes then his timetable to the majors will get much quicker. If he struggles then it could be a few years before he sees the majors.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Eephus pitches, really slow breaking pitch, are unhittable if you use it correctly. I don't think anyway does though. Rip Sewell, who invented it, only gave one home run to Ted Williams and it was technically illegal how he hit it. Its pretty cool.

As for or minors pitchers throwing walks, I still think thats a product of bad coaching. And I don't like how often these guys get hurt either. The whole system kind of stinks.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Eephus pitches, really slow breaking pitch, are unhittable if you use it correctly. I don't think anyway does though. Rip Sewell, who invented it, only gave one home run to Ted Williams and it was technically illegal how he hit it. Its pretty cool.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011

Yeah like I said. You need to do it perfectly. It shouldn't be a pitch you can just wait on and hit. Williams actually had to move out of the batter's box to hit it. I'd love to have a video of that.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Yeah like I said. You need to do it perfectly. It shouldn't be a pitch you can just wait on and hit. Williams actually had to move out of the batter's box to hit it. I'd love to have a video of that.

So, if he had to step out of the batter's box, wouldn't that mean it wasn't a strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad