Waived: [PHI] Olle Lycksell and Anthony Richard waived by the Flyers (cleared)

Evergreen

Well that suggests Luchanko is making the team, at least for 9 games. He was battling Lycksell and Richard for the last F spot.

Reactions: BHD

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Talk about an overreaction to the Flyers waiving a pair of guys in their mid-to-late 20s who haven't proven a lick at the NHL level. Every team has a player or two at their level.
Lycksell just turned 25 and hasn't proven a lick at the NHL level because he's never been given an actual opportunity. He's already been around PP/G in the AHL in the two years he's played there. Playing 8-9 minutes a night with Deslauriers, Hathaway, Poehling, Atkinson, and occasionally Couturier (where he actually had good results in a tiny sample size) is not an actual opportunity for any player that actually prefers to play with the puck on their stick.

Rebuilding teams should be giving these types an opportunity, not scrubs like Hathaway, Deslauriers, Atkinson, etc that this franchise is so fond of.

He also made several skilled offensive plays this preseason and had 4 points in 5 games versus 2 in 4 for Luchanko. Pre-season points might not mean anything, but I need a lot more than that to keep an 18 year old in the NHL whose major question mark is offensive ability. There is zero reason to keep Luchanko on the roster over Lycksell besides "we need centers!" which is a mind numbingly dumb reason to keep an 18 year old on a lottery team.

Reactions: Rebels57

Evergreen

Lycksell just turned 25 and hasn't proven a lick at the NHL level because he's never been given an actual opportunity. He's already been around PP/G in the AHL in the two years he's played there. Playing 8-9 minutes a night with Deslauriers, Hathaway, Poehling, Atkinson, and occasionally Couturier (where he actually had good results in a tiny sample size) is not an actual opportunity for any player that actually prefers to play with the puck on their stick.

Rebuilding teams should be giving these types an opportunity, not scrubs like Hathaway, Deslauriers, Atkinson, etc that this franchise is so fond of.

He also made several skilled offensive plays this preseason and had 4 points in 5 games versus 2 in 4 for Luchanko. Pre-season points might not mean anything, but I need a lot more than that to keep an 18 year old in the NHL whose major question mark is offensive ability. There is zero reason to keep Luchanko on the roster over Lycksell besides "we need centers!" which is a mind numbingly dumb reason to keep an 18 year old on a lottery team.
Where do you see a hole in the roster for Lycksell? He’s a small scoring winger with zero defensive awareness and a propensity for turnovers. He’s not going to bump TK, Konecny, Tippett, Foerster, Farabee, or Brink for top-9 minutes on the wing. And he isn’t well suited for 4th line minutes.

I’m not sure I agree with keeping Luchanko in the NHL because I don’t know whether it’s best for his long-term development. If you share that concern, I completely understand.

But I find it crazy that people are upset about Lycksell or Richard not making the team out of camp. Nobody even wanted them for free off waivers. If a top 9 winger goes down, I’m sure Lycksell will get the first call-up (assuming he plays well in LV).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad