Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
:huh: If we get out of the $4M retention in Nashville, can we have Cody Glass back please? Or do we even get out of it?

I think if a settlement happens I would imagine Nashville would be on the hook for half of it.

So lets say 4 million settlement then each team takes 2 mill hit.

Sure you can have Glass back for a 3rd rounder:)

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
How do you get evidence that he faked injury tho?

I mean, he probably bot that stupid to say he had a broken bone or something. If he said he was "feeling pain" in his back or something, no one could ever claim that's fake
they doesn't feel what he does. And trust me, even if you have pain in your back there like thousands of things it can be. So even.l of they send him to one place to examine him and they don't find anything, that doesn't prove a damn thing

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Has any NHL team ever successfully proven a material breach? It seems like they always end up settling or losing in the end and have to pay the player and potentially take a cap penalty.
Wasn't Voynov technically terminated due to material breach?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Seems a bit dodgy for them to grieve it now? I mean, if they thought he was faking to refuse the AHL assignment, shouldn't they have brought that up in real time when it happened?

:dunno:

Reactions: kevistar

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

I mean, he probably bot that stupid to say he had a broken bone or something. If he said he was "feeling pain" in his back or something, no one could ever claim that's fake
they doesn't feel what he does. And trust me, even if you have pain in your back there like thousands of things it can be. So even.l of they send him to one place to examine him and they don't find anything, that doesn't prove a damn thing
Social media postings more than likely. That seems to be where people slip up the most.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Insurance companies use investigators all the time to snap pics of guys golfing while supposedly on worker's comp with a bad back.

Social media postings more than likely. That seems to be where people slip up the most.
That wouldn't be a material breach of his contract.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Wasn't Voynov technically terminated due to material breach?
Possibly. Didn’t they just suspended him for awhile? He may have mutually agreed to terminate eventually seeing as he couldn’t really come back the country.

That is the most obvious case of a legitimate breach termination to this point, though.

Reactions: DaveG

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I just knew the whole material breach thing was going to become a tool, now any overpaid vet needs to walk on egg shells and hope they don't do or say the wrong thing.
The way I see it is if you wouldn't terminate your young star for the same offense than you shouldn't be able to terminate cap dumps.

That is going to be an intriguing case that could set a precedent the NHLPA will certainly want to avoid.

Curious on what will happen. He is owed 8 million dollars on his last year.

NHL in August is bussing!

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The new method for cap dumps find a reason to cancel the contract. But what he did was was it worse than what Briere son did?

Brière's son being an asshole isn't relevant here, because he didn't have a contract to be materially in breach of.

Nobody has stated publicly what Johansen did to be materially in breach (in the Flyers' eyes), so we don't know if it's more problematic, less, or so different as to be unworthy of comparison to that act. My best guess is that the Flyers have proof of Johansen engaging in an activity he would be incapable of performing had his stated injury been real (something like the lady whose workers comp fraud came to light because she won a Christmas tree-throwing contest.)

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The new method for cap dumps find a reason to cancel the contract. But what he did was was it worse than what Briere son did?
What does whatever Johansen did have to do with what an undrafted college player did? Unless you're advocating for a father to be punished for actions of an adult son...

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The risk really is so small for teams to terminate deals on overpaid vets. If they lose, they pay money and get a cap penalty that is a fraction of the original hit admittedly for longer but likely doesn’t hurt too bad in comparison.

There should be some kind of bigger punishment if the termination is eventually found to be invalid. They should be on the hook for the entire original cap hit plus penalties.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Wouldn’t be using that cap space anytime soon. He’ll file a grievance and it might take more than a minute to settle.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Also there's something people always miss when these kinds of injury CBA issues come up. Pretty much every player over the age of 30 (if not younger) has legitimate cause to be LTIRetired. Armchair GMs have no clue the things these guys put their bodies through, but for most it's worth it to keep playing in the best league in the world.

It's perfectly reasonable to think that RyJo was prepared to push through his injuries to play every game with a cup contender. But when he got traded and subsequently demoted, it's a lot more preferable to collect the paycheque on LTIR with NHL rehab facilities instead of riding the bus in the AHL

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No. Voynov was suspended without pay when he injured himself doing a non-hockey related activity.

Voynov later retired from the NHL after which the Kings voided his contract.
That’s a polite way of describing domestic violence.

Mr. Voynov originally was suspended indefinitely by the NHL following his arrest on Oct. 20, 2014.

“I have determined that Player Slava Voynov engaged in acts of domestic violence directed at his wife,” Commissioner Bettman said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad