Perron - No Blues friends

Brez50

Mar 18, 2013
Central Illinois
Was Perron a disliked player by the other Blues when he was on our team? Steen & Sobotka looked like they wanted to rip his head off last night. Yet, they had a pregame video "Welcoming him back to St. Louis", which, for me was a scratch your head moment since I didn't think he was the caliber of player that warranted that kind of treatment.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Just saw this as the top post in the division sub-forum. Was watching the game last night and wondering the same thing myself. He didn't look like a guy who left a band of brothers; he looked more like a guy kicked out.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think the guys liked him when he was here, but he's an annoying guy to play against. It doesn't surprise me that he pissed some of our guys off. That's a major part of his game. It has been for quite some time. My friends and I had a drinking game in college around the Blues. One of the commands was to take a shot every time Perron was on the ice with his helmet off after the whistle. That seems awfully specific, but it was more common than it seems.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
In an interview with Strickland yesterday, he was asked about staying in contact with any Blues still and if he met up with anybody. He said he stays in touch with Tkachuk and Backes still and that he had dinner with Backes the night before. So idk what that really means. I really thought he would mention Oshie or Berglund. I almost felt bad for the guy as the game wore on. I'll always miss him as a Blue.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think the guys liked him when he was here, but he's an annoying guy to play against. It doesn't surprise me that he pissed some of our guys off. That's a major part of his game. It has been for quite some time. My friends and I had a drinking game in college around the Blues. One of the commands was to take a shot every time Perron was on the ice with his helmet off after the whistle. That seems awfully specific, but it was more common than it seems.

Quick certainly wasn't a fan of his in the playoffs, that's for sure. :laugh:

FloridaBlue

Mar 9, 2014
Wildwood, MO
Listened to an intermission interview Blues Radio did with Perron last night and he said that the night before he had gone to dinner with Backes and even went over to Backes' house. Perron really seemed to speak highly of Backes.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
I may be overanalyzing and misreading some situations, but I would not be surprised to find out that some of the Blues DO NOT take kindly to Perron’s high hits and stick work to the head. He is a guy that should definitely know better.

His was the last high hit that sideline Steen with concussion this season.

I think he hit Steen high again last night, and that is what started the incident with Steen.
He then hits Oshie high with a stick.

I got the sense that Reaves was reminding Perron of his tinted concussion related visor while in the box.

Then again, this is speculation on my part after trying to read what I was seeing.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Wasn't well documented that he was extremely upset after being traded? Why would he be upset if the whole team hated him and wanted him gone? Don't you think he would be happy leaving that type of situation? Players who are good friends off the ice can be enemies pretty quickly on the ice, especially playing the way Perron does.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Wasn't well documented that he was extremely upset after being traded? Why would he be upset if the whole team hated him and wanted him gone? Don't you think he would be happy leaving that type of situation? Players who are good friends off the ice can be enemies pretty quickly on the ice, especially playing the way Perron does.

Remember him calling it a surprise, but not extremely upset. Could be wrong.

Regardless of how I felt about my team mates, being traded from one of the best teams to one of the worst would make me angry though.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I could see how he wouldn't feel highly about the trade, just from the fact that he realized they didn't see him fit into their plans, and even if he put a positive spin on it that he was dump for salary reasons he still was the one to go.

But him getting his stick up drives everyone in the league crazy not just The Blues, and that smile you just want to hit him in the face.

Last edited:

Blueshockey21

Jan 12, 2010
I think you guys are reading way too much into this. Steen has been an angry grumpy old man for like the past month trying to kill anybody that touches or him or look at him. Sobotka has always stood up for his teammates. Its also as touched on above well known that Perron is a skilled player that everybody that plays against hates because he starts a lot of **** and obviously isn't going to finish any of it.

Yoko Ono*

This thread is so "Days of Our Lives". Why is this on a hockey forum?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Was Perron a disliked player by the other Blues when he was on our team? Steen & Sobotka looked like they wanted to rip his head off last night. Yet, they had a pregame video "Welcoming him back to St. Louis", which, for me was a scratch your head moment since I didn't think he was the caliber of player that warranted that kind of treatment.

Not to be a ****, but what do you expect? Do you really think Steen's going to rip on Perron to the press before a game?

Last edited by a moderator:

illninofan*

I think you guys are reading way too much into this. Steen has been an angry grumpy old man for like the past month trying to kill anybody that touches or him or look at him.

He reminds me of Gary when he caught a case of "grouchy snailitis".

500px-Once_bitten.jpg

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Backes and Perron had dinner the other night. On the ice I am sure most our players hate him, but off the ice I would be surprised if they weren't still friends.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Sobotka had every opportunity to knock Perron's head off and all he did was hold him against the boards and have some choice words for him.

The whole team likes him. Perron is a pest to play against and if you don't think someone who is as competitive as Perron isn't going to give it his all against his former team, then you're crazy.

He played just like the Perron I remember, just with more incentive. I agree, people reading way too much into this.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
All part of the game guys, these guys have to put the friendships away on the ice and do what they have to do to win.

Tony Twist fought Kerry Clark several times in Minor Pro and Clark was best man in his wedding

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sobotka had every opportunity to knock Perron's head off and all he did was hold him against the boards and have some choice words for him.

The whole team likes him. Perron is a pest to play against and if you don't think someone who is as competitive as Perron isn't going to give it his all against his former team, then you're crazy.

He played just like the Perron I remember, just with more incentive. I agree, people reading way too much into this.
No? Perron accidentally high-sticking Oshie does not give Sobotka "every opportunity to knock Perron's head off." He's not gonna start pounding him just because of that.

His personality seems to be pretty different than Oshie, Berglund, etc. I'm sure they're still chill with each other but I didn't really get the sense that Perron really fit in as one of the 'cool guys' or what have you. Not to say they dislike him, but I doubt he's really that missed. When Backes is the only one to go to dinner with you that's kind of odd but oh well, not a big deal.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
You also have to consider that he's a French-Canadian person, and might not have just naturally felt acclimated to hanging out with Midwestern Americans / Europeans / Scandinavians. For some reason we can be sympathetic when the language barrier is Russian or Swedish, but a francophone guy probably feels a bit homesick as well.

ejoshie

Aug 26, 2008
Don't know about the rest of the team

But Backes and Perron are still close.

JR only last week let it out that Halak was not one of the boys.

Brett Hull was not the easiest guy to get along with either.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Don't know about the rest of the team

But Backes and Perron are still close.

JR only last week let it out that Halak was not one of the boys.

Brett Hull was not the easiest guy to get along with either.

I think it was fairly obvious Jaro never fit in. I think the team made an effort to befriend him and make him feel like one of the boys, but I guess it is just a different mentality for goalies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Holy **** the laziness in that back check. EDIT: I was going to delete this, but I want Robb to know he has company! I don't have an excuse though....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad