Penticton YoungStars Tourney (VAN/EDM/CGY/WPG) - Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014

Great analysis. I wouldn't be too worried about McDavid getting hit like the one yesterday on a regular basis. Bo Horvat had to miss a few games after a less impactful hit last year(in a NHL game), but when he returned his positioning was much better. I expect it won't take much effort for such a dynamic player as McDavid to stay out of compromising situations.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Great analysis. I wouldn't be too worried about McDavid getting hit like the one yesterday on a regular basis. Bo Horvat had to miss a few games after a less impactful hit last year(in a NHL game), but when he returned his positioning was much better. I expect it won't take much effort for such a dynamic player as McDavid to stay out of compromising situations.

^i had the feeling Connor thought he could get the better of the check on Virtanen. perhaps he didn't realize how heavy Jake really is.

McDeathbyCheerios*

CMD was taking it easy all game. He had nothing to prove so he let our other prospects carry the load. Which they did

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I watched the replay and Cederholm was directly responsible for 2 goals against. He was terrible. Another 3 goals came from funny bounces, the Draisaitl and McDavid goals and the crazy bounce on Sautner. Neill also wasn't very solid. Subban and Hutton were awesome, great top pairing.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I think the main thing to remember when judging players from this is that it is the first game back from summer. NHL training camps haven't even started so you shouldn't expect these players to be up to game speed. The play was sloppy and it usually is in this tournament, its just a nice way for each teams personnel to see some of its players and get the guys some extra games to get ready for the season. Only a few of the guys out there looked like they were giving it more than 80-90%, mostly the ones trying to land contracts or impress for a shot at making the big club. Just relax on the highly touted guys who didn't look that well, whether its Canuck or Oiler prospects, its really not a big deal if they don't dazzle in this tournament. Wait to see how they look in main camp and preseason before shooting these guys down.

It's true, Bennett and Ehlers looked pretty ordinary in the other game as well. You could see a guy like Cole Cassels played about as hard as Connor McDavid (not very). Bo Horvat looked pretty bad last year too.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It's true, Bennett and Ehlers looked pretty ordinary in the other game as well. You could see a guy like Cole Cassels played about as hard as Connor McDavid (not very). Bo Horvat looked pretty bad last year too.

Bennett was involved in like 8 scoring chance and he had two huge hits. Yeah they didn't score but I thought he was the most notable player on the ice.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I watched Laleggia closely. He has good mobility, but he struggles in puck battles, and he threw a suicide pass to Nurse that almost got him murdered. Luckily for Laleggia Virtanen passed it up.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
McDavid is going to face that kind of borderline penalty physical attention every night in the NHL and especially the western conference and Pacic division , and it will coming from the likes of Lucic, Ferlund, Dustin Brown, Burns, Benn, Byfuglien, etc.

You forgot Lance Bouma :D

Edmonton will have to develop a way to respond, and quick.

Zac Rinaldo for 2016 1st?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The player I was most impressed with was Subban. Kid showed some serious flashes of skill, if he can fill out and work on his positioning he'll be a player for sure.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I watched the replay and Cederholm was directly responsible for 2 goals against. He was terrible. Another 3 goals came from funny bounces, the Draisaitl and McDavid goals and the crazy bounce on Sautner. Neill also wasn't very solid. Subban and Hutton were awesome, great top pairing.

I remember when there was some hype about Cederholm when he destroyed a medicine ball :laugh:.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Apparently the actual lines for the Oilers are:

Slepyshev-Draisaitl-Chase
Rankin-Platzer-Sanford
Christoffer-Roy-Bukarts
Soy-Linaker-Moroz

Winquist, Loiseau, McDavid expected to sit.

Nurse-LaLeggia
Bear-Leveille
Betker-Davis
Waltz-Jones

No word yet on which D will sit or who will start in net.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I watched Laleggia closely. He has good mobility, but he struggles in puck battles, and he threw a suicide pass to Nurse that almost got him murdered. Luckily for Laleggia Virtanen passed it up.

Think I saw the play you were talking about, about 4 minutes left in the first. - it was a tiny bit behind Nurse, but a fair ways from a suicide pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad