Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well Koivunen and Pono are “top five prospects in the Canes pool” despite being ranked outside of the top five by most publications at the time…

It's almost like Koivunen and Ponomarev were both 2nd round prospects valued at about 2nd rounders, and 3 mid 2nds (which is what Ponomarev, Koivunen and pick #44 is) is roughly equal to a late 1st and a mid 2nd (which is what Ponomarev/Koivunen and pick #27 is)

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
What was the other deal or team that was really interested?

Canucks, Rangers, and Hurricanes.

Rangers deal we mostly know, they didn’t want to give up the 1st and Kakko. Canucks couldn’t really afford Guentzel with their cap and likely wanted retention, I think there was an issue for one of the players they didn’t want to give up as well. I don’t get this need NOW to bitch and moan about that trade. What because the Penguins got Bunting? A career 50pt player that is under 30 isn’t a bad get, the issue here is that Sullivan isn’t going to maximize any of this and that part being Dubas’ fault, I 100% get. To keep a dipshit coach that will likely make this trade look terrible, is well within the realm of making this a bad trade. I think the Canucks’ deal was something around Kuzmenko, the 1st, and a prospect they didn’t want to give up. Kuzmenko would have been destroyed under Sullivan.

But I also get the sense that most GM’s knew Jake’s camp wanted to test the market and wasn’t going to sign until the off season so that was a massive risk. Horvat signed less than a week after getting to the Islanders, that was a Cap move and also internal leadership issues that the Canucks can say wasn’t an issue but apparently was with players siding with Miller and Horvat and splitting the room, reportedly. Horvat’s cap was also going to make it harder for them to keep a lot of others so they moved him and the Isles gave up more to get him.

Lindholm? Typical JR move, giving up too much for a rental but he made up for it the year before by moving Horvat for a 1st and a mediocre prospect, then turned that mediocre trade into a better one by getting Hronek. Dubas getting a trio of solid prospects, a top 6 winger, and a pick isn’t bad business for a player that was never going to sign until he was a free agent and got to test the market. The Pens got a conditional 1st and another pick, it’s too bad that first didn’t convert.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It's almost like Koivunen and Ponomarev were both 2nd round prospects valued at about 2nd rounders, and 3 mid 2nds (which is what Ponomarev, Koivunen and pick #44 is) is roughly equal to a late 1st and a mid 2nd (which is what Ponomarev/Koivunen and pick #27 is)
I still don’t hate this deal as much as others seem to right now.

Cruz Lucius, Vasily Ponomarev, Ville Koivunen, the 2nd that turned into Harrison Brunicke, and Michael Bunting.

That is a pretty decent return for a player that made it harder to get a better return because he was vocal about wanting to test the market and not negotiate an extension.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What was the other deal or team that was really interested?

Canucks, Rangers, and Hurricanes.

Rangers deal we mostly know, they didn’t want to give up the 1st and Kakko. Canucks couldn’t really afford Guentzel with their cap and likely wanted retention, I think there was an issue for one of the players they didn’t want to give up as well. I don’t get this need NOW to bitch and moan about that trade. What because the Penguins got Bunting? A career 50pt player that is under 30 isn’t a bad get, the issue here is that Sullivan isn’t going to maximize any of this and that part being Dubas’ fault, I 100% get. To keep a dipshit coach that will likely make this trade look terrible, is well within the realm of making this a bad trade. I think the Canucks’ deal was something around Kuzmenko, the 1st, and a prospect they didn’t want to give up. Kuzmenko would have been destroyed under Sullivan.

But I also get the sense that most GM’s knew Jake’s camp wanted to test the market and wasn’t going to sign until the off season so that was a massive risk. Horvat signed less than a week after getting to the Islanders, that was a Cap move and also internal leadership issues that the Canucks can say wasn’t an issue but apparently was with players siding with Miller and Horvat and splitting the room, reportedly. Horvat’s cap was also going to make it harder for them to keep a lot of others so they moved him and the Isles gave up more to get him.

Lindholm? Typical JR move, giving up too much for a rental but he made up for it the year before by moving Horvat for a 1st and a mediocre prospect, then turned that mediocre trade into a better one by getting Hronek. Dubas getting a trio of solid prospects, a top 6 winger, and a pick isn’t bad business for a player that was never going to sign until he was a free agent and got to test the market. The Pens got a conditional 1st and another pick, it’s too bad that first didn’t convert.

The Canucks were the most interested team in Guentzel, but they didn't have a 1st or 2nd this year and weren't willing to trade Lekkerimaki for Guentzel. What did they have to offer? At best you were looking at something like Podkolzin (who was dumped for a 4th in the off-season), Raty and a 2025 1st, which isn't better than what the Penguins got.

There was a rumor that the Rangers offered Othmann for Guentzel, but without knowing what was on top of that, it's hard to say. Beyond that, there didn't seem to be a massive market for Guentzel.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
When you say the return is a top six winger, a bunch of solid prospects and a 2nd, sure it looks like a solid trade.

I just have a very tough time believing that is the return.
Because Mike Sullivan can’t even use a player like Puustinen properly let alone anyone else that is a young talented player, so yeah it may not look good because this coach will prioritize veterans over using any youth that is ready or deserves a longer look and better opportunity. I think another thing to remember is Lucius and McGroarty have played together before during Juniors (so has the other Lucius brother) so that might be a solid underrated add when he turns pro.

The Canucks were the most interested team in Guentzel, but they didn't have a 1st or 2nd this year and weren't willing to trade Lekkerimaki for Guentzel. What did they have to offer? At best you were looking at something like Podkolzin (who was dumped for a 4th in the off-season), Raty and a 2025 1st, which isn't better than what the Penguins got.

There was a rumor that the Rangers offered Othmann for Guentzel, but without knowing what was on top of that, it's hard to say. Beyond that, there didn't seem to be a massive market for Guentzel.
Yeah figured it was something like that, like I said, I am not mad about the deal at all. I think some blokes thought that Dubas should have gotten more, but I think Jake’s camp made that a near impossibility given his desire to test the market and not negotiate in season. The reason a player like Horvat brought back something more is because he was open to an extension the whole time and the Isles knew that and likely had the opportunity to discuss that before the deal as he was signed a few days after.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because Mike Sullivan can’t even use a player like Puustinen properly let alone anyone else that is a young talented player, so yeah it may not look good because this coach will prioritize veterans over using any youth that is ready or deserves a longer look and better opportunity. I think another thing to remember is Lucius and McGroarty have played together before during Juniors (so has the other Lucius brother) so that might be a solid underrated add when he turns pro.

Yeah figured it was something like that, like I said, I am not mad about the deal at all. I think some blokes thought that Dubas should have gotten more, but I think Jake’s camp made that a near impossibility given his desire to test the market and not negotiate in season. The reason a player like Horvat brought back something more is because he was open to an extension the whole time and the Isles knew that and likely had the opportunity to discuss that before the deal as he was signed a few days after.

I’ll be shocked if any of the prospects we got outside of Pono play more than 200 nhl games. Pono’s upside is a 4th liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad