Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah I think people say "don't pay bottom-6ers" and I don't think that's quite correct. What should be said is "don't pay easy to find bottom-6ers". You shouldn't be signing Acciari to a 3 year deal. You shouldn't be signing McGinn to a 4 year deal.

If you want to give term to a bottom-6 guy, go sign a 2nd line guy that you can play on your 3rd line. Spend $5 million on a 2nd line player to carry your 3rd line rather than spending $2.5 million on 2 3rd/4th liners that are just there and can be easily acquired via trade.

You mean like.. this?

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Ah, so cope.

Mikheyev doesn't suck by the way. He's not an exciting player, but getting him at 4 million is the type of move that could potentially have a huge effect on the depth of the roster.
Take out last year's recovering from major surgery and he's at .25 career goals per game. Not too impressive for his best trait.
And don't try to say he brings other things to the game cause Tocchet benched his sorry ass many times for lousy play away from the puck.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
From January 1st through the end of the year, Mikheyev had 1 goal and 11 points in 46 games. That corresponds to an absolutely sterling 1.21 5v5 points/60. That's the exact same 5v5 point pace that Matt Nieto had last year for the Penguins.

Carl Hagelin had a 1.29 5v5 points per 60 from October to January with the Anaheim Ducks in 2015-16.

Take out last year's recovering from major surgery and he's at .25 career goals per game. Not too impressive for his best trait.
And don't try to say he brings other things to the game cause Tocchet benched his sorry ass many times for lousy play away from the puck.

Are you serious? Mikheyev is a great defensive player and a great PKer.

And Daniel Sprong was 12th in the league 2 years ago in points per 60 min.

His speed has been dropping drastically. Maybe he bounces back but maybe he falls off a cliff more.

That's the position we are in if we are not going to move assets / sign players to term.

Getting a 2nd to take the risk is a smart move IMO.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Florida is the optimal way to build a bottom six. 3C is anchored by a young, talented draft pick, then the rest are free agents, or trade acquisitions with 1-2 years on their contracts.

Take a look at cap friendly and how many of Florida’s bottom six are about to be UFAs. Unless it’s a young player we should not be giving a bottom 6 guy anything beyond 2 years.

If you can’t sign McGinn or Tanev’s with that requirement then you just don’t.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Florida is the optimal way to build a bottom six. 3C is anchored by a young, talented draft pick, then the rest are free agents, or trade acquisitions with 1-2 years on their contracts.

Take a look at cap friendly and how many of Florida’s bottom six are about to be UFAs. Unless it’s a young player we should not be giving a bottom 6 guy anything beyond 2 years.

I mean they signed Evan Rodrigues to a 4 year deal last summer.

Florida's true model is taking big swings and risks on players.

Which apparently we shouldn't do or something...

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I mean they signed Evan Rodrigues to a 4 year deal last summer.

Florida's true model is taking big swings and risks on players.

Which apparently we shouldn't do or something...

Who did florida take a risk on lol? They pickup mostly top end talent and lucked out on Verhaeghe and Forsling.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis

Now we are gonna see what they can really do. Cause there's gonna be pressure to keep the band together now that they won. Will they over pay (money/years) for these guys? Or try to find more diamonds in the rough. I can't imagine most any UFA coming off a Cup team will be doing show me deals anymore.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Mikheyev was such a worth it risk for a contending team to trade for, he wouldn't have been traded to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Who did florida take a risk on lol? They pickup mostly top end talent and lucked out on Verhaeghe and Forsling.

I think they absolutely took a risk on Sam Bennett that panned out greatly, they paid a lot for him at the time when he seemed like he was a dud.

But yeah, Florida isn't trading for Mikheyevs in hoping they bounce back. They took risks on young players, which is what the Penguins absolutely do as well.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Now we are gonna see what they can really do. Cause there's gonna be pressure to keep the band together now that they won. Will they over pay (money/years) for these guys? Or try to find more diamonds in the rough. I can't imagine most any UFA coming off a Cup team will be doing show me deals anymore.
Montour and Reinhart up for big deals. Curious how they navigate. Fortunatly if they give full NMC and NTC players can take a discount in the no tax state.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If Mikheyev was such a worth it risk for a contending team to trade for, he wouldn't have been traded to the Chicago Blackhawks.

I think they absolutely took a risk on Sam Bennett that panned out greatly, they paid a lot for him at the time when he seemed like he was a dud.

But yeah, Florida isn't trading for Mikheyevs in hoping they bounce back. They took risks on young players, which is what the Penguins absolutely do as well.

Bennett was a former first round pick that they trade a 2nd and prospect for. He was 24 when the trade happened too. It wasn't some huge risk.

Reactions: Rave7215 and eXile3

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bennett was a former first round pick that they trade a 2nd and prospect for. He was 24 when the trade happened too. It wasn't some huge risk.

He also had 12 points in 38 games in the year he was traded and 12 points in 52 games the year before. I absolutely think what they traded for him was taking a risk.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Sam Reinhart
Gus Forsling
Sam Bennett
Matthew Tkachuk
OEL

Lol if you think Reinhart and Tkachuk were risk. They paid 1rst rounders for them.

How was Forsling a Risk? OEL?

Bennett was 24 and they traded a 2nd and prospect.

Your idea of risk is pretty low if this is your list.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad