Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see it.

Idk in the last 4 years:

Mangiapane: 84 goals and 170 points in 295 games
Rakell: 72 goals and 166 points in 274 games

Now I think Mangiapane is a bit better (mostly from being a better ES scorer) and is younger, so the Penguins would be adding. But I think the basis would absolutely be Rakell+ for Mangiapane.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Mangiapane needs a new contract, too. Not sure this is a fit. Like the player, not his current situation or ours.

Oliver Wahlstrom is definitely the buy-low type of player I want.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Idk in the last 4 years:

Mangiapane: 84 goals and 170 points in 295 games
Rakell: 72 goals and 166 points in 274 games

Now I think Mangiapane is a bit better (mostly from being a better ES scorer) and is younger, so the Penguins would be adding. But I think the basis would absolutely be Rakell+ for Mangiapane.

Rakell's contract is negative value.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
IF there is a trade for Rakell that makes sense, sure go ahead and do it. I am under the assumption that his value is low right now, so I would focus on Smith, Jarry, Eller and Acciari.

Rakell does not have to play with Malkin to be useful to this franchise. We have a Swedish contingent, so he does fit. Plus, he is the type of player who can really help younger forwards entering the league. I could see him as a good mentor for a Yager, a Poulin, a Ponomarev, etc.

I would not be trying to move him, and I certainly don't want to pay future assets to move him out. AND, if you really want to move him, then put him with Crosby at the start of the season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I'd backtrack on the Rakell for Mangiapane swap, if there would be a swap there it would almost definitely be Smith for Mangiapane. Both sides would be gambling on the other guy rebounding and getting a better performance out of what they got last year. I imagine Mangiapane would be the "Guentzel replacement" and would bump O'Connor to L3 if they were to make that change.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I thought it was the other way around? Quinn is for sure handling the D (he was a D when he played), and we presume he will handle the PP because that was what Reirden did.

I still think there could be someone on the outside joining the staff for the PP. There is a lot of available talent right now. Jay Woodcroft for one (Gulutzen runs the Edm PP but Woodcroft had a bird's eye view); Bruce Boudreau, although I doubt he is interested; Marc Savard, though the Leafs are apparently in on him; Adam Oates, no idea what he is up to this year; Todd Nelson, still coaching Hershey; and I will throw out a name: Chris Lazary, HC of the Saginaw Spirit. That team was very dynamic, especially on offense and in particular with their PP.

I am hopeful that Quinn can do wonders for Karlsson, but I want him to get EK65 back to being a point-per-game defenseman. I am less optimistic that Quinn is the answer to our PP woes.
Bring back Gonch to run the PP!

• Love
Reactions: SEALBound

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Is it possible the Islanders choose not to tender Wahlstrom a contract and he becomes a UFA?

As for Mangiapane, I wonder if that's the Reilly Smith solution. Both pending UFAs. Similar cap hits. Maybe another piece or two added on either side to balance things out.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is it possible the Islanders choose not to tender Wahlstrom a contract and he becomes a UFA?

As for Mangiapane, I wonder if that's the Reilly Smith solution. Both pending UFAs. Similar cap hits. Maybe another piece or two added on either side to balance things out.

Yeah I think Smith+ for Mangiapane, with the addition being something fairly minor, is the most likely outcome here if that were to happen. I can't imagine it would be anything more than like Smith and a 3rd/4th for Mangiapane.

At the same time, I don't know that Smith does much of anything for Calgary. They're not a playoff team anymore, so I'm not sure gambling on Smith's upside in the playoffs really means anything for them. I figure the justification is if they think Smith's value upside with a good year is higher than Mangiapane's value upside with him being what he has been for Calgary in the past 2 years.

Or maybe Calgary is just really delusional and view themselves as a playoff team next year, idk.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Doubtful, his QO is $917,831. He's not waiver exempt, they have a pretty full roster, and a couple young guys pushing. He might be like our Smith where "we want to move him to open up a spot". Traditionally, I think a guy like this goes for a mid-round pick. I'd LOVE if the Isle were willing to do something like Wahlstrom for Acciari.

A good move COULD have been Ty Smith for Wahlstrom but that ship has sailed and we don't have another Ty Smith unfortunately.

I could see Calgary wanting to do some contract swapping. They need dmen. I wonder with Smith+POJ for Mangy+4th would be tolerable?

Even better, if Calgary sends out Markstrom for a haul, we send them Jarry, and they send us Mangiapane and a goalie back.

Yeah I think Smith+ for Mangiapane, with the addition being something fairly minor, is the most likely outcome here if that were to happen. I can't imagine it would be anything more than like Smith and a 3rd/4th for Mangiapane.

At the same time, I don't know that Smith does much of anything for Calgary. They're not a playoff team anymore, so I'm not sure gambling on Smith's upside in the playoffs really means anything for them. I figure the justification is if they think Smith's value upside with a good year is higher than Mangiapane's value upside with him being what he has been for Calgary in the past 2 years.

Or maybe Calgary is just really delusional and view themselves as a playoff team next year, idk.
I think the only upside with Smith is you hope he rebounds there, plays well, and you send him out for a 2nd at the TDL at 50%. Probably exactly what they would be doing with Mangiapane anyway but you're getting the extra pick early.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Exactly. I like Mangiapane but he's not moving the needle. Especially if he's just replacing a Rakell.

If our moves this summer are Mangiapane and Wahlstrom, we are f***ing cooked.

I mean, this team has missed the playoffs for 2 years in a row and has a core in their late 30s. What indication has this team given that they should be making bigger moves than this?

This team is already cooked.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
These are reasonable "help win compete now for Sid, Geno, and Letang" with the primary goal of building for the future.

We are "close" to the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t get the interest in Mangiapane or Wahlstrom. They’re lateral moves at best.
I particularly don't like the way Mangiapane plays, especially if he's supposed to be a top six option next to Sid or Geno. Way too Evan Rodrigues/Tyler Kennedy type blinders approach.

I'd like the Pens to acquire guys who can actually compliment Sid/Geno, not piss them off.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I particularly don't like the way Mangiapane plays, especially if he's supposed to be a top six option next to Sid or Geno. Way too Evan Rodrigues/Tyler Kennedy type blinders approach.

I'd like the Pens to acquire guys who can actually compliment Sid/Geno, not piss them off.

Mangiapane seems like the exact kind of player that would thrive with Crosby.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I would kill for a "shoot first" guy. ERod is exactly the type of player we are missing.

If we can add him and an bigger guy with potential like Wahlstrom, it's not a bad off-season. Someone on the Isle board suggested a Ty Smith swap in April so I don't think he's worth much. I almost wonder a Bemstrom swap is plausible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad