Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Oilers 1: The Junior Player Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
If they're hellbent on having a more defensive guy in the lineup, give Andersen a look. He's been very steady for WBS, handles the puck a lot better than I was expecting as well.

It's tough to gauge a player like him in the AHL because of the style he plays, but I'm curious to see what he could do at the next level.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I will say this.

We have all hammered the Pens for the obvious.

However, unlike with Disco would would stubbornly go to his grave making the same mistakes over and over without any change, we do see some changes. Kessel was moved to Malkin's line. Kunitz did get demoted to the third line. They did give Sprong an opportunity to prove himself with the team.

It is not as fast as we want or anywhere close to everything that we want, and the putrid offense and stagnant PP (despite the goal, and almost two PP goals tonight) are all real and legit concerns. But at least they do seem to be willing to try changes we all had been crying for.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We win but we continue to be so goddamn boring.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz....

The Penguins are proving that wins /= entertainment. They're winning, but these games are so God damn boring to watch.

It's just so difficult to get excited about their record when it's painful to sit down and watch an entire 60 minute game. Right now, they're my "commercial break" option. I watch something else, then switch to the Pens when that show is on commercials.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The Penguins are proving that wins /= entertainment. They're winning, but these games are so God damn boring to watch.

It's just so difficult to get excited about their record when it's painful to sit down and watch an entire 60 minute game. Right now, they're my "commercial break" option. I watch something else, then switch to the Pens when that show is on commercials.

Same here. It is really difficult to watch the NHL right now in general and the Penguins passive style makes it even worse.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

I am become Minnesota Wild, Eater of Interest.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Young wingers continue to outperform old ones in terms of both play and production despite far fewer minutes and lower quality of linemates.

Gotta ease 'em in though. Can't put too much on their plate, or they might look almost as bad as the guys with roster spots on lockdown.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'll ***** more about the PP and stuff when we conquer the first hurdle; proper TOI allocation and lines. There is no way in the world Kunitz deserves to be in the lineup night in and night out. Especially at the expense of Sprong and Plotnikov most nights. We can't even get the lines or who to scratch correct. Sure, we demoted Kunitz to now bog down the third line--arguably our best line throughout the entirety of the early season. But he still seems to sneak his way into the top-6 far too frequently.

If the coach cannot use him properly, you have to mandate that he's scratched until he will accept a trade. There is no excuse for Kunitz to dress for games, and with Dupuis brand new "precautionary" developments, who knows if he'll ever play again. There's no reason whatsoever that Plotnikov and Sprong shouldn't be in the lineup 100% of the time from here on out.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Was listening to the Trib podcast with JB and Mackey and both mentioned moving Letang off the PP if Pouliot gets called up. Saying that he doesn't make the smart plays that a guy like Gonchar does.

They also mentioned rotating Scuderi/Lovejoy/Cole out of the line up so Clendenning and Pouliot can get in

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
His confidence isn't an issue. It's his feel/speed. It will be a random day in January and it will all click and we won't even notice it until like 10 oldschool Maatta games happen and we realize how damn good the kid is.

It's not helping that he's paired with Scuds. #4 forces EVERY puck to Maatta to make hte pass. The kid needs to be the 2nd guy in the pairing to get his legs back and not controlling every single breakout.

Scuds gives him the puck under fire, too. He cannot like playing w/ Scuds. No way.

Maatta's speed has always been an issue. Many ignored it because he was having a strong rookie year and people were enamored by him. So I don't think speed is the issue, because he's played well in the past and wasn't any faster.

It's Scuderi. Playing with Scuderi and looking good is not an easy task. Makes you appreciate what youknowwho did even more last year while paired with him.

wizmet12

wizmet1_2
Feb 19, 2014
About switching Fehr and Perron
why would everybody's wishing to switch them

Personally i'd rather keep Fehr on Crosby line

Not sure about Horny though, he's not enough horny

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Crazy how this team keeps squeaking out these wins. IMO none of them have been a truly dominant performance except for maybe one and that should never be the case for a team as talented as this one.

KHstrike

Apr 23, 2012
All this complaining about them being boring... You do realize we don't have Paul Martin and Matt Niskanen making those smooth transition passes anymore right? Can't have a system based off of fast passes and rushing up the ice if the D can't make those passes. Besides, how many years has it been where they fail with the same problems again and again in the playoffs with them not playing D? They are now. They're making adjustments and playing playoff style team defense.

I do wonder if no one in the media talked about them being boring, how many of you would even think it was an issue.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
These wins are a paper tiger built on luck and goaltending. When (not if, when) those run out, it's going to get very ugly.

I wonder if the people who are satisfied with this team just check out the standings, breathe a sigh of relief at the win column, and don't actually watch the games. This team is a chore to sit through. There is nothing particularly good or fundamentally sound about the defense; they're playing simple, uninspired swamp hockey because that's all that two of three pairings are capable of. They'll go nowhere like this.

Dude.....every team is a chore to watch anymore. This league is a joke and total garbage. The truth is the truth. The game is one giant obstruction fest and skill has no bearing on the game. In all the other sports (MLB, NBA, NFL, major Euro football league) there are memorable plays, legendary moments. Last year the NHL had probably the best goal scorer in Stamkos in the final and he was held to oblivion. This is a sport that does not let their stars shine like the NBA and NFL. If the NHL officiated the NFL the final scores would be 16 - 10 every game every week. If they officiated the NBA the final scores would be a 78 - 72 bore fest.

That's just reality. The NHL product is lousy and pretty much all teams are boring sans the few NHL teams that play no D because you at least might see one good play a period.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Dumoulin is a godsend to our blueline. Hell of a solid player. I would kill for Despres back, but this kid might be even better. 1st star of the game for me, easily. Flawless in every aspect of the game.

Maatta still looks extremely sloppy.

Malkin is a defensive monster and Sid is slowly but surely starting to look better. He is not a dominant force anymore and probably will never be, but if Hornqvist gets it together somehow, then Sid can still make some damage.

Zatkoff is a nightmare, but he somehow gets away with it and is collecting the wins :D

Hard to complain when they have 6 wins in a row and 9 out of 10. I care about the results more than about anything else. It´s also nice to know that this team isn´t anywhere close to his full potential yet and they are still winning. Might be a good thing too.

Yeah, and it was a sweet snipe by Sprong, good for him. Respect for Cullen as well, great little pickup by JR.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Bad drafting and trade deadline deals left this team in a very poor position. Shero had no options in his mind on giving older players 4 year deals that were gong to bite them at some point. Those signings and extensions have had big repercussions on the cap and upgrading the defense especially. Saw Martin get tooled the other night. Four years for a stick on puck smart defensemen looks good on paper. Those are the moments one realizes smarts and experience only go so far. That is the reality of the NHL. Here is the kicker. This concern of declining production and contract length is just beginning.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This team is proof that there are no style points in hockey.

A win is a win....I guess.....

This is some ugly hockey.

Didn't post last night because they won and didn't want to seem negative but then I saw the above and figured, eh, what the heck.

All that offense, on both sides, and that 2-1 joke of a game is what we got. Ugh. EDM horrible defense alone should be good for 3/4 goals with the Pens offensive firepower.

Agree about Doumo and Malkin as the big +'s.

- The lack of even strength scoring so far, (only 13 games in mind you) should start to alarm people soon.

There is nothing wrong with winning ugly, points are what matter now, but if this is what they have come playoff time then it will be pray MAF comes up big every game and hope for a PP goal.

People joke about sleep inducing hockey, but last night I actually fell asleep in the third. I woke up and the stream was black, had to check the final score on my phone. :laugh:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Id take PH off Sid's line. Move Sprong up. Fehr becomes a good fit for those two.

If not that, something has to happen, Sid is just not getting the puck at all. We have two D-men who can move the puck well right now. And Sid has two guys on his line who cant skate the puck into the O-zone or get it to Sid with speed. Its dump and chase.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
The thing I keep in consideration is this: you can't teach offense like you can teach defense. You've either got it or you don't. There is plenty of offensive firepower on this roster, and Johnston has spent the first month of the season teaching them defensive responsibility. What I see is Johnston setting this team up the right way for a long playoff run. I think they're still a couple pieces away from being able to brand them a true contender, but they are definitely moving in the right direction.

They need at least one more top 4 defender. Doing this will not only help defensively, but should help bolster the transition game and give Johnston a little more confidence as far as opening up offensively goes.

They also need to get the PP figured out. And, to their credit, it has been looking better lately.

I get that they're playing the blandest brand of hockey imaginable right now, but I really do see the potential benefits down the road. The payoffs could be huge, and I'm willing to see where we are come mid- to late-February before I'm ready to ship Johnston out.

I agree with this. Not sold on johnston, but I'm willing to see where this goes.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think it's pretty silly to say that Johnston's telling guys to ignore scoring and focus on other stuff, and that's why they can't score. Has he been doing it for a calendar year now? When do these reigns come off and the offensive firepower begin? :laugh:

I think Johnston and Tocchet are, uh, not NHL coaches. To be polite. Especially on a team that's gonna live and die by their offense, which they apparently cannot, for the life of them, take advantage of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad