GDT: Pens’ Black & Gold Game (7 p.m., CEC | Free admission | TV: ROOT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Any analysis of Sid or Flower? Didn't get a chance to see the game.

Both gave about 60% effort and nobody can dog them for it. Nobody wanted to be the guy to hit Sid. We will see Sid at his truest form against Philly.

Flower... 20 games til we really know what's up. That's the life of a goalie.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
TK showed the skating ability we fell in love with years ago. He missed it badly last year. I saw tenacity and speed. I can't take TK off that line until he reverts back to last season.

I'd have Jeffrey on that 4th line over Adams. We have enough Pkers. Jeffrey can produce in any situation. Move up the lineup when injuries hit. Play wing or center. It's dumb to let him go for a guy who doesn't have much left in the tank.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just a small reality check for those asking how players did.

Orpik threw out a check that got the house Oooohing and Ahhing, then a few retalitory checks happened, and obviously the coaches came over and told players to knock it off, they could not afford to lose key players in a season of only 48 games. So the play was midway between an All Star game and a regular season game. So take some of the reviews with that grain of salt.

Especially anything said about the goalies or defense.

That said, as everyone has been saying Sutter was the big surprise. He just had that something special that stood out. There wasa reason he was basically voted number one star (they made 'the fans' the number one star in a somewhat cheesy move, but Sutter was right after).

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Absolutely. You won't be dissapointed.

I'll wait a week or two and do it for sure. I'll need a new lucky jersey too. My white Staal jersey was 4/4 during the 2009 Stanley Cup final. I wear it game 7 against MTL and we lost, so I need a new lucky jersey, haha :)

So happy to read you guys discuss hockey. Would love to add to the discussion, but I couldn't watch the game. I'm so pumped for Saturday! LET'S GO PENS!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Waiting for the reviews from those who watched the game, in particular:

Bennett--scored a real nifty goal. Bankpassed it around (forget who) to himself, walked to the net then completely confused Fleury by going high short side at point blank range. Don't remember him doing much else for the rest of the game. Good instincts.

Tangradi--Had an awesome first shift and another good shift in the third, but, in between, he was just sort of there. Was botching a bunch of setups from Neal. But Tangradi didn't do anything to be a liability and was working hard.

Crosby--I thought he looked awful rusty. Was having trouble accepting passes in the first and got the puck knocked off his stick quite often all game. IMO, his timing wasn't there. Should note some people disagree with me.

Neal--Neal seemed to just be trying to set Tangradi up all game. Otherwise, looked himself. Chemistry with Geno still obvious.

Geno-Geno looked like last year's Geno would look giving the type of effort you'd expect him to give in a scrimmage. In other words, he was MVP Geno, but not in Beast mode only because the situation didn't call for it.

Also, how'd the defense look overall? For those that watched, is this current defense personnel wise capable of making a serious run?

The Martin/Orpik pairing was better than I expected. Orpik had a strong game and so did Martin. Letang played very well. Morrow played great when paired with Letang. Niskanen, Engelland and Bortuzzo looked solid. Lovejoy made one or two good plays. Ulf's kid is not good and Despres was flat out terrible tonight.

For the second question...it's a scrimmage

Only other thing I'd add was that every member of the Cooke, Kennedy and Sutter line played awesome, particularly Sutter.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sutter's always been a savvier playmaker than Staal, he just doesn't have the same size/strength/shot that just overwhelms the opposition.

He won't score as much as Jordan, but he will bring a different feel to the 3rd line. He's about the best possible replacement we could've gotten for JS, and at a fraction of the cost.

The speed he brought reminded me of the buzz line a bit, but with actual size. I know he won't take games over like Staal did on occasion, but night in/out I don't even think we will see a difference. His best contribution will be shutting a top line down in the postseason. I can't wait to see him actually focus on a top line.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I thought Bortuzzo looked a step quicker than last year, though maybe I that's just what I wanted to see, haha. Either way, excited about seeing him develop in the NHL this year.

Despres I wasn't quite as sold on -- definitely not as Letang's partner. Put Niskanen there. Although I'm not quite sold on the Martin-Orpik pairing as well. Hmmm.....

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I thought Bortuzzo looked a step quicker than last year, though maybe I that's just what I wanted to see, haha. Either way, excited about seeing him develop in the NHL this year.

Despres I wasn't quite as sold on -- definitely not as Letang's partner. Put Niskanen there. Although I'm not quite sold on the Martin-Orpik pairing as well. Hmmm.....

Agree with putting Nisky/Letang together. I'd love to see Engo and Bort/Strait or something who is physical. That would be unique to see.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The speed he brought reminded me of the buzz line a bit, but with actual size. I know he won't take games over like Staal did on occasion, but night in/out I don't even think we will see a difference. His best contribution will be shutting a top line down in the postseason. I can't wait to see him actually focus on a top line.

100% agree. It'll be great to have a dedicated, well-defined shutdown line again after last year's mish-mash.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sutter's always been a savvier playmaker than Staal, he just doesn't have the same size/strength/shot that just overwhelms the opposition.

He won't score as much as Jordan, but he will bring a different feel to the 3rd line. He's about the best possible replacement we could've gotten for JS, and at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not so sure he can't score as much. I think his shot and his hands are underrated. I really underrated both with him. I don't think he's a complete hockey player yet, but I definitely think 20 goals is a solid projection for him, and he has the hands and shot to produce more. It will be about opportunity.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm not so sure he can't score as much. I think his shot and his hands are underrated. I really underrated both with him. I don't think he's a complete hockey player yet, but I definitely think 20 goals is a solid projection for him, and he has the hands and shot to produce more. It will be about opportunity.

20 goals and 40-45 points is possible, but Jordan was producing at about a ~60 point pace for his last two years here. I wouldn't project anything like that for Sutter...but I hope I'm dead wrong, haha.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't think he missed a beat from last year. He has the wheels to burst out when he needs to, he just doesn't do it all that often.

Yeah, I just shake my head when people say Engelland has speed issues - he doesn't. He just doesn't. He skates very well for a physical defenseman, and can rush the puck out of danger pretty well too.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I want to see what he looks like with Geno/Neal. He gets some opportunity there and on the PP? Guy can put up some numbers.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Everything for me was a plus. I was there. Except....

Paul Martin. Basically every part of his game. I was embarrassed for him.

edit: He needs cut/bought-out/sent on a one-way train to Elsewhere, USA/CAN.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I just shake my head when people say Engelland has speed issues - he doesn't. He just doesn't. He skates very well for a physical defenseman, and can rush the puck out of danger pretty well too.

Personally, I think he'd be a very good #4 D-man if they'd needed him too. That would mean him taking a step away from what he is now, a defensive D-man to a two way D-man. Until we get someone else or someone steps up in the more defensive role we really don't need him leaving his post too often.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
20 goals and 40-45 points is possible, but Jordan was producing at about a ~60 point pace for his last two years here. I wouldn't project anything like that for Sutter...but I hope I'm dead wrong, haha.

I would agree with that for sure. But I know hearing an interview with Sutter over the summer, he is determined to prove his offensive side. (whether he has it in him, I dunno, I guess we will see.) In the interview, he mentioned several times that he knows what his current role is, but that hopes to show he is a lot more than a 3rd line center. He sounded very much like Jordan Staal from a few years ago. He sees himself as a top 6 eventually. And while he was glad to be on the team, he sounded like a guy who wants to move up to a greater offensive role in the future. Then stated he knew his role here, considering the guys in front of him, and would do his best in that role, but he thinks he has offensive ability. He sounded like a confident guy. Definitely has ambitions beyond being a 3rd line shutdown center his whole career.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
With Martin... I think my biggest issue is his lack of determination on the ice. He casually does everything. Whether it's good or bad. It just throws me off. Play with some desperation.

Hot damn, that was a slick move by Bennett.

There are just 2 guaranteed roster players on the Pens who could make score that goal.

That was my initial reaction. Creating offense single-handedly without needing Sid/Geno? Umm.. yes please.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
May I continue to spazz about Zach Sill? He was about the only guy who played like he wanted to prove something.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would agree with that for sure. But I know hearing an interview with Sutter over the summer, he is determined to prove his offensive side. (whether he has it in him, I dunno, I guess we will see.) In the interview, he mentioned several times that he knows what his current role is, but that hopes to show he is a lot more than a 3rd line center. He sounded very much like Jordan Staal from a few years ago. He sees himself as a top 6 eventually. And while he was glad to be on the team, he sounded like a guy who wants to move up to a greater offensive role in the future. Then stated he knew his role here, considering the guys in front of him, and would do his best in that role, but he thinks he has offensive ability. He sounded like a confident guy. Definitely has ambitions beyond being a 3rd line shutdown center his whole career.

If he proves that offensive side of him this season we may see him making the same Staal salary on his second contract where they'd be paying for potential again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad