• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
1. Crosby (70%)
2. Geno (82.5%)
3. Letang (considered a formality, 17.5% of the #2 poll)
4. Guentzel (85%)
5. Dumoulin (73%)
6. Rust (50%)
7. Kapanen (58%)
8. Carter (71%)

Adding Jarry. And ducking.

55% of the cap is now accounted for:

upload_2021-8-27_23-23-56.png

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’s between Marino and Matheson…I’m picking Marino slightly because, while I think Math was the better player last season, I’m expecting Marino to rebound and overall I think he’s got better hockey IQ…

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Marino. Although I’m very tempted to go Blueger.

Hypothetical:

If McCann was still here, would he be the pick?

Part of my heart says Matheson. The other part says Marino. I'm going to go on a limb and say that Mikey Math is going to play a huge role in our powerplay this year and so I'm taking him ahead.

Plus, as I said as a former Matheson hater. Aesthetics matter. This is fandom. Matheson hockey is pretty and entertaining AF.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hypothetical:

Part of my heart says Matheson. The other part says Marino. I'm going to go on a limb and say that Mikey Math is going to play a huge role in our powerplay this year and so I'm taking him ahead.

Plus, as I said as a former Matheson hater. Aesthetics matter. This is fandom. Matheson hockey is pretty and entertaining AF.

I think Matheson performing at his peak has less of an effect for this team than Marino at his.

I look at Blueger and think a defensive starlet center in the bottom six has been the most crucial aspect of our three Stanley Cups after Sid and Malkin.

Our defense goes from a solid top ten in the league to probably bottom ten if Marino doesn’t at least get back to being a middle pairing D.

Reactions: ChaosAgent and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hypothetical:

Probably for some.

For me... actually, it probably would, or at least cause me to have a long think between him and Marino. But, looking at him going, and taking a long cold think about just what he brings to this team other than numbers, and just what he brings to this team in the playoffs, and just how many guys put up big numbers in our middle six during injury hit periods... and I still like the kid, but he'd be at least a couple places away for me. He's a great complimentary player but a so-so one as the best player on his line.

Anyway, I'm voting Marino, partly because I think he's better than Matheson, and partly because I think that if he's not better than Matheson this season, there's a small chance it means Matheson is the two-way 2nd pairing dman of our dreams and a larger chances that we're in trouble. Someone's got to anchor a good defensive pairing in the bottom 4 and it's kinda Marino or bust.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
the 2nd pairing goes as marino goes. matheson is going to be matheson regardless. it can be a great pair if marino is at his A game

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Matheson. He's the most dynamic offensively on the blueline outside of Letang and maybe even by a good margin. When he was missing from the lineup last year it was plain to see and not in a good way. I think he continues on track this year and proves to be a pretty impactful player. I want to trust Marino to bounce back big but... I just don't know. I figure he will because a lot of the things he was showing his rookie year didn't seem fluky but my goodness was he hot garbage last year.

Blueger close on this one. I just preference in importance towards top 4 D over depth forwards... even if he is a center and I'm a pretty big fan.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think Matheson performing at his peak has less of an effect for this team than Marino at his.

I look at Blueger and think a defensive starlet center in the bottom six has been the most crucial aspect of our three Stanley Cups after Sid and Malkin.

Our defense goes from a solid top ten in the league to probably bottom ten if Marino doesn’t at least get back to being a middle pairing D.

You're right that this is one where "what's best for the team" would be for Marino to be the best of this list. Or Jarry. We can hope.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matheson. He's the most dynamic offensively on the blueline outside of Letang and maybe even by a good margin. When he was missing from the lineup last year it was plain to see and not in a good way. I think he continues on track this year and proves to be a pretty impactful player. I want to trust Marino to bounce back big but... I just don't know. I figure he will because a lot of the things he was showing his rookie year didn't seem fluky but my goodness was he hot garbage last year.

Blueger close on this one. I just preference in importance towards top 4 D over depth forwards... even if he is a center and I'm a pretty big fan.

I just wish Marino would put on some weight. He's got the Marcus Pettersson thing going where their ability as defensive defenseman are somewhat compromised by the fact they can be outmuscled too often due to their lack of bulk.

Marino should be playing at closer to 195-200 lbs.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I just wish Marino would put on some weight. He's got the Marcus Pettersson thing going where their ability as defensive defenseman are somewhat compromised by the fact they can be outmuscled too often due to their lack of bulk.

Marino should be playing at closer to 195-200 lbs.

Provided he can put on that kind of weight without compromising his game, I agree. As of right now he looks like Tom Holland if he had fasted for a couple of weeks.

More offensively-gifted and "slippery" players could get away with maybe being a bit smaller. But if his game is going to be closer to last year's version where he has to hold down more responsibility and not be allowed to freelance as much then yeah... he's gotta be a little harder to push around.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Being the most dynamic offensive player (after Letang) on this blue line isn’t that impressive, tbh. Matheson is the second highest paid dman on the team. He’s not paid almost $5 mill for his defensive acumen.

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I voted Jarry because he has high ceiling. And even made the ASG last year.
Matheson was a close 2nd. He's our 3rd best dman and better than Marino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad