Confirmed with Link: Penguins Hire Wes Clark as Vice President of Player Personnel

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Him and Kyle Dubas go way back to when Dubas was the General Manager of the Soo Greyhounds in the OHL. He really helped the Maple Leafs draft some solid players with limited draft capital like Nick Robertson , Matthew Knies and more recently Fraser Minten who has already played in 4 NHL games as a 2nd round pick , and Easton Cowan who won OHL MVP after he took a big swing on him last year .

This hiring is a huge win for the Pens

Last edited:

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Red Green Ranger GIFs | Tenor

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Was being discussed on the Prospect Thread, but yea - it's a pretty big get I'm happy about.

Reactions: NJPens66

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Last time the Pens won the Cup Mario Lemieux, Rick Tocchet, Mark Recchi, Jim Rutherford and Bill Guerin all owned/managed/coach the team having played for the Penguins in the past. The problem isn't hiring people you know, the problem is if your friends are stupid.

2+2+3+1+2 = 10 cup rings between them.

How many the Toronto boys got?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Last time the Pens won the Cup Mario Lemieux, Rick Tocchet, Mark Recchi, Jim Rutherford and Bill Guerin all owned/managed/coach the team having played for the Penguins in the past. The problem isn't hiring people you know, the problem is if your friends are stupid.
Too many people think hiring practices that might disadvantage them as perspective employees are also hiring practices that are bad for employers.

The best hiring and recommendations I have ever done are for people I've worked with in the past. You already know everything about them that you are only hoping you can discover about other candidates in an interview.

Even the children of current and former colleagues are an underrated source of quality talent. Smart, hardworking people usually have smart hardworking kids. If their parents were already in the industry you're also probably getting a new hire with a better network than a random new graduate. Show me two kids with the same GPA and I will always hire the kid with a relative I know and trust.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
2+2+3+1+2 = 10 cup rings between them.

How many the Toronto boys got?

While your overall point is accurate, I can't help but be pedantic and point out that Tocchet only had one Cup ring from his time as a player. He was acquired by the Pens in '92, so was only there for the second Cup, but not the first. He now has three Cup rings (two as an assistant coach), and all three were thanks to the Pens!

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
That's absolutely correct. They are being hired in context of bringing specific skills with them. They aren't friends, but past professionals he has worked with. This is the right way to do it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As far as I know, we didn't really have someone in this position. I think Cullen was our last Director of Player Development. Bringing in anyone that changes things up a bit from what we've had on the scouting, drafting, and development front is a good thing in my opinion.

Any prior relationship to Dubas is irrelevant for me. Obviously Dubas knows him and likes him so...great.

• Love
Reactions: Goodleaf

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
Personally, I didnt see the need for this hire, burning money IMO. Good luck trying to do better than this...

draft.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Personally, I didnt see the need for this hire, burning money IMO. Good luck trying to do better than this...

View attachment 893876
It's pretty bleak but I try to keep a couple things in perspective.

1. Most prospects don't make teams or have impacts for a couple of years after their draft date. So 2021-23, not having someone there is okay. Yager will make it. I believe Pickering will too. Blomqvist will push this year. Clang was used to get Rakell.
2. Poulin had the mental health issues and took a break so he's a year behind. Legare was a miss. Addison was used to get Zucker and practically a bust now anyway.
3. Hallander should have got more games but I think he got impatient and we didn't do a good job making room for him.
4. In the years we should have young guys starting to pick up 2017 - 2020, we have a bunch of misses: Lauzon got injured, Hall was a bust, Phillips was a bust, Hallender went home, Legare was a bust....and then you have a series of 4th through 7th rounders who I don't really count against the staff but that's basically a lottery ticket anyway.

We need better scouts and better development, for sure. But we also need better draft picks. So Dubas's mission of collecting them combined with this hire should (in theory) help.

Reactions: Freeptop

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
That's absolutely correct. They are being hired in context of bringing specific skills with them. They aren't friends, but past professionals he has worked with. This is the right way to do it.

Maybe.
As I said in another thread: I don't mind cronyism if it brings about success. If you've done well in your job, then you've earned the right to pick the people you're surrounding yourself with.

If you suck at your job (like Mike Sullivan, Ron Hextall, Mike Tomlin, etc.) then you don't get to pick your buddies.

The jury is still out on Dubas in Pitt. But so far he's acting like Sullivan's Muppet and that gives me significant concern where this franchise is headed.

Reactions: td_ice

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
It's pretty bleak but I try to keep a couple things in perspective.
I agree with you completely, my post was mostly for humor. Our drafting has been subpar at best, but I dont get too upset because a huge chunk of the future was sacrificed for 15 years of win now mode resulting in 3 cups and another finals appearance. Look at teams like San Jose, Rangers, Philly, Nashville, even Toronto and EDM who did the same thing and have nothing/very little to show for it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I agree with you completely, my post was mostly for humor. Our drafting has been subpar at best, but I dont get too upset because a huge chunk of the future was sacrificed for 15 years of win now mode resulting in 3 cups and another finals appearance. Look at teams like San Jose, Rangers, Philly, Nashville, even Toronto and EDM who did the same thing and have nothing/very little to show for it.
Roster building is cyclical. Mortgaging the future to win now is all too common. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The teams with a bunch of top young talent now have been bad for several seasons. You just hope you come out more like NJD rather than Buffalo or Ottawa.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
There is hirings that I'm like really Dubas but this is not that hiring.

Wes Clark has a good drafting record it looks like and will be a good hire for the Penguins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad