PDF/WCSF: (P2) San Jose Sharks vs. (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | Series Tied 1-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I've been going to games in San Jose for the last 25 years and have never seen SJ fans mess with opposing fans. One bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch. The only time I've ever had any issues was with a random drunk flames fan who was a huge dick but that was it. Im not sure why one bad interaction suddenly means all SJ fans are bad...I'd love to know exactly what was said that was deemed inappropriate
Two Avs fans at the same game had some interesting experiences. I personally am not saying this is the norm. I've been to 4 other games at the Tank. 1 for the Avs and just random other ones.

That said it wasn't One bad egg. It was about 10 in our section. 5-6 people on our walk to the car. There were some polite ones as well, which we happily talked to, but I would say it wasn't 1 bad egg. I don't think i'll go to another playoff game at the Tank, however, and will only probably try to sit in the lower bowl where as much as it goes against my choice of choosing the crowd, folks in the lower bowl tend to be far more polite and respectful.

We have some friends in the area that are transplants from Boston who had similar experiences to us as well. This isn't a one off.

That said most other games and almost every other fan has been nothing but all class.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
I went to the game with a buddy who is an Avs fan. No one yelled or threw things at him at any point, even as he stood and cheered every Avs goal (and gave long distance high fives to the other Avs fans scattered in our section). I admittedly punched him on the shoulder once and threatened not to give him a ride home, though. :dunno:

Reactions: Phu

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I went to the game with a buddy who is an Avs fan. No one yelled or threw things at him at any point, even as he stood and cheered every Avs goal (and gave long distance high fives to the other Avs fans scattered in our section). I admittedly punched him on the shoulder once and threatened not to give him a ride home, though. :dunno:
Of course it's the sharks fan throwing punches. Toxic much?

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Two Avs fans at the same game had some interesting experiences. I personally am not saying this is the norm. I've been to 4 other games at the Tank. 1 for the Avs and just random other ones.

That said it wasn't One bad egg. It was about 10 in our section. 5-6 people on our walk to the car. There were some polite ones as well, which we happily talked to, but I would say it wasn't 1 bad egg. I don't think i'll go to another playoff game at the Tank, however, and will only probably try to sit in the lower bowl where as much as it goes against my choice of choosing the crowd, folks in the lower bowl tend to be far more polite and respectful.

We have some friends in the area that are transplants from Boston who had similar experiences to us as well. This isn't a one off.

That said most other games and almost every other fan has been nothing but all class.
Did you contact the Blue Jackets (ushers)? There are numbers you can text (I've done it) and the ushers will take care of it. Again, maybe you just had a bad experience but the only issues I've ever seen at home games are generally fans of the opposing teams getting out of control and rowdy

Just feels sort of unfair to the team/arena to allow a few people to cause you to never go to another game. There are tools in place to take care of people being jerks and in my experience, the arena takes those very seriously

Edit: Can we get this thread back on topic? Aren't there rules specifically against fan base bashing on this site? This is getting a little out of control and is all hearsay based on reported first person accounts.

Reactions: Phu

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Burns is as good on offense as he is bad on defense. He makes the occasional solid defensive play, but he isn’t in the top 100 of defensive play amongst defensemen.

I don’t know about the “top 100” statement, but overall I agree with you. I’m a 20 year Sharks STH and many of us Sharks fans talk about Burns and his lack of skill in the D zone. I agree on the Norris comments also...if it was D skill only, he shouldn’t be nominated but its not his fault that years ago the Norris started being given to the D’men who score the most vs those that play strong D.

He’s one of those players where you have to take the good with the bad and I think he makes the Sharks a better team so I like him on the roster.

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA
I can see we are back to the Avs only win cuz our team played bad saying.

I guess I don’t mind it if they keep winning. Seemed to work against the first seed.

SJ fans like to chirp at the game too. I was there with my 8 month pregnant wife minding our own business and cheering when appropriate and easily 10 fans around us made sure we were uncomfortable even during TV timeouts. Lots of unexpected profanity and even had towels tossed at us for high fiving.

What a shame. I haven’t had this experience at the Tank before. Super bummed and probably won’t go back. Never experienced that in any other barn before.

Got heckled all the way to the car too. Multiple middle fingers. ECHL level fans tonight. Poor form from Sharks fans. If you go to Pepsi Center you’ll be treated kindly.

So sorry that happened to you and your wife. I’ve been a Sharks STH for 20+ years and haven’t seen stuff like that (my seats are in section 106). Where were you sitting?

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
you don't account for the actions of said opposing fans in the equation. heck half or more of what's said on HF would start a fight in most arenas. on a obvious disputed goal, standing up and cheering and shoving it in the home fans' faces ... you take your own safety into your own hands.

never said it's good behavior. just that it happens and will happen again, so you need to take that into account in your actions.
Funny how you call it a hostile environment, and seem to accept that violence is just part of the process.
Parents bring kids to games, is that supposed to stop too simply due to the acceptance of Neanderthals?

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Aww yeah we got ourselves a ringer. Mr. Mario Ferraro from UMass just signed with us and is gonna get us the inside scoop on how to stop his former teammate Cale Makar.

Sharks org: how do we stop makar?

Ferraro: you don't

Sharks org: oh...
"Put jalapenos in his mac n' cheese. He'll be on the toilet for HOURS!"

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I’ve been to Avs games in SJ, LA and Anaheim. The only issues I’ve ever had were in SJ. In LA you get the usual heckling which is fine and Anaheim no one says a word to you. But in SJ someone actually came at me and took a swing because I didn’t belong there and I had no right to a seat there. The guy had to be forced out by security, even some other fans around me apologized for that guy. I’ve also had things thrown at me just for standing up when the Avs scored a goal. It’s not everyone there, just a smaller group, but it certainly happens more often at SAP Center than it does at Honda Center or Staples Center in my experiences.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Seriously where are all these "Stories" coming from? No offense to Avs fans but I find it hard to believe anyone in San Jose gives enough of a shit about your team to throw stuff at you and take a swing. I could totally believe it if it was an Kings or Ducks fan but to swing at an Avs fan? Why even waste your time...that makes no sense...there is no rivalry, you might as well just punch a Panthers fan on a Tuesday night game.

Can we stop the Sharks fan bashing? I've been to hundreds of Sharks games over the years and have never seen anything more than playful jeering and the occasional drunk asshole

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA
garbage people exist and sports attracts a lot of them, not that i'm sure throwing an ever-so-harmful towel makes someone garbage. i'm not even sure whether that's above or below popcorn, at least popcorn could be greasy or crumby.

if you're standing up celebrating in the opponent's barn and you catch a hand towel upside the head, your hair might get messed up a little, the horror.

I really hope you’re not a Sharks fan...if you are, I hope you don’t go to the games.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Seriously where are all these "Stories" coming from? No offense to Avs fans but I find it hard to believe anyone in San Jose gives enough of a **** about your team to throw stuff at you and take a swing. I could totally believe it if it was an Kings or Ducks fan but to swing at an Avs fan? Why even waste your time...that makes no sense...there is no rivalry, you might as well just punch a Panthers fan on a Tuesday night game.

Can we stop the Sharks fan bashing? I've been to hundreds of Sharks games over the years and have never seen anything more than playful jeering and the occasional drunk *******

Never had any problems with a Sharks fans. I had heard from my Avs buddy that he once saw an Avs fan that took punched a Wings fan at the Can. That's one incident that I'm aware of since I have been going to games at the Can after returning to Colorado in 2007. Just one incident. But the point is, it can happen anywhere. Suffice it to say, no one condones rude behavior. I'm fine with all hockey fans from whatever team. Now, back to hockey.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Seriously where are all these "Stories" coming from? No offense to Avs fans but I find it hard to believe anyone in San Jose gives enough of a **** about your team to throw stuff at you and take a swing. I could totally believe it if it was an Kings or Ducks fan but to swing at an Avs fan? Why even waste your time...that makes no sense...there is no rivalry, you might as well just punch a Panthers fan on a Tuesday night game.

Can we stop the Sharks fan bashing? I've been to hundreds of Sharks games over the years and have never seen anything more than playful jeering and the occasional drunk *******

I didn’t bash sharks fans at all, just mentioned my issues I’ve had there. Like I said, most everyone was cool, just a couple of drunk idiots that made my experience there bad. No one should have to feel like that going to a game, no reason an away fan shouldn’t be able to cheer on their team as long as they’re being respectful (I always am myself, I keep my cheering for goals only when I’m in another barn, and don’t gloat if we win).

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

In all arenas I've been in the cheap seats had the most passionate and rowdy fans.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
SJ fans are usually pretty cool to opposing fans because most people who live in SJ aren't from SJ. The tech industry has resulted in the area being composed largely of transplants. Go to a game vs. an original 6 or Canadian team and 20-30% of the fans are in opposing jerseys. I've generally heard very positive feedback from opposing fans.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
ADeeC7x.gif

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I will say this. There is a nonzero chance the media narrative surrounding our round 1 win plays into this. It is very irksome as a fan to have your team pull off one of the most epic comebacks in league history and all there has been is nonstop whining and an influx of fans of eliminated teams rooting against us.

It makes calls like the blown icing that much more enraging. It doesn't excuse bad behavior but personally I'm sick of how bad reffing has been this year.

Reactions: goflyakite
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad