Paul Messier, The brother of Mark Messier

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How good was he? Did he play the same physical brand of hockey like his brother did? How come he only got 9 games in NHL? He put up good numbers in NCAA and AHL.

paul-messier-1981-118.jpg

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Played in Germany for many years, not a physical force or anything. More of a quick forward with decent hands and head, but a quality import for the Bundesliga. Not much more than that though and was done even in Germany relatively early.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think he was "done even in Germany relatively early", as he played there until 1990, when he was 32 years old.

I just noticed his 2 games in the Italian League in 1990-91 were the same season Jari Kurri was there. I wonder if either of Messier's two games played were against the Milan Devils?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't think he was "done even in Germany relatively early", as he played there until 1990, when he was 32 years old.
His time in Mannheim ended in a contract dispute as the team didn't want to keep him anymore despite having signed him for two more years. There were North American imports that could be useful in the Bundesliga still in their late 30s.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Wasn't really a that good of a scorer in AHL. Decent. AHL in the early 80s was pretty bad and he was in his mid-20s when he was in the AHL. He couldnt earn a spot on the Rockies which is pretty damning evidence as far as his skill-level. And in Germany he wasnt exactly the best foreigner in that league either. Although he was among the best but if he had NHL-level talent he would probably dominate that league.

Reactions: decma

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
on a slightly related note, there was this guy who was briefly teammates with mark messier on the rangers, and i am now learning from hockey-ref was his cousin

1678225723813.png

joby had a brother named mitch, who played a bit for the north stars but mostly was racking up points on their farm team.

but i guess the best messier was eric, who won a cup as a third line grinder on the avalanche and wasn't related to the other four NHL messiers.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad