Patrick Marleau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
patty just isnt a big game player but he signed for cheap so ill be easier on him in the future

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
patty just isnt a big game player but he signed for cheap so ill be easier on him in the future

Yeah he only shows up for regular season

Seriously I kind of understand how some other fans say things like this about him but how the **** do any sharks fans honestly think this?

Product of Thornton? That has to be just trolling. He doesn't even play on Thornton's line.

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
Yeah he only shows up for regular season

Seriously I kind of understand how some other fans say things like this about him but how the **** do any sharks fans honestly think this?

Product of Thornton? That has to be just trolling. He doesn't even play on Thornton's line.

we have won one wcf game in 10 years im curious why you think this team gets bounced early every year

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
we have won one wcf game in 10 years im curious why you think this team gets bounced early every year

What does them winning one game in 10 years there matter when it comes to whether Marleau shows up for big games? If he produces in big games but the teams lose, is that supposed to mean Marleau's production doesn't count and he didn't show up?

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
What does them winning one game in 10 years there matter when it comes to whether Marleau shows up for big games? If he produces in big games but the teams lose, is that supposed to mean Marleau's production doesn't count and he didn't show up?

it means im curious. i just find it bizzare how every shark fan places the blame in different places for our playoff failures. the thornton era team not making it half way to the cup is inexcusable. patty is not a winner.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
it means im curious. i just find it bizzare how every shark fan places the blame in different places for our playoff failures. the thornton era team not making it half way to the cup is inexcusable. patty is not a winner.

They've made it halfway twice in the Thornton era. And generally, when a team fails, the reason why it's blamed on different things is that you lose as a team and there are multiple reasons why you lose. But it seems like you're pinning it solely on Marleau for whatever reason...it was a Marleau-led team that won the most playoff games for this franchise.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Probably not because of the guy who had 5 of his entire team's 7 goals in 4 games, probably also not the guy up had 4 of his teams 12 combined goals in 5 games

That's 9 out of his team's 17 goals...that's more than half the teams goals in the two WCF! How can you possibly blame Marleau for that

This guy is the best playoff performer on the tem, and that includes Pavelski

Lol the proper counter argument to this is not even the very logical "Marleau can't be blamed for this entire team's failure", it's like blaming Nabokov...you can't! Nabokov never lost a series where his team scored over 2 goals per game, but he at least didn't help that much, you can slightly blame him though. Marleau on he other hand, literally was the best player on the sharks in both of those WCF

How does he not show up for big games...he is the best on the team at doing that!

There is not a single nhl player who gets nearly as much undeserved hate from his own team's fans than Marleau. Seriously, how some people can blame the team's losses on him is ridiculous. He is so consistent, not in his production but just the way he plays the game, how many times this year do you think he has has a bad game? Like 5 and we're over 60 games through!

And he just scored a SHG to tie the game lol

Last edited:

McSorley33

Jul 20, 2003
www.enforcerjerseys.com
Winning,

Look at the teams that get to the Cup Finals.
Their Goalies are on fire, Goalies win big games for their teams with their defense playing good/great.
I don't think Nabby was that guy and Niemi hasn't been so far,
Defense????

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
Winning,

Look at the teams that get to the Cup Finals.
Their Goalies are on fire, Goalies win big games for their teams with their defense playing good/great.
I don't think Nabby was that guy and Niemi hasn't been so far,
Defense????

Exactly. Nabby was fine (more than fine), but how many games did he flat out steal like Kippy did for CGY, or Quick did for LA? He was never once "the man" in a playoff series. We've never had that white hot goalie, and that is exactly what you need to win the Cup.

As for our defense, that's what I think will determine this playoff run...but when I look at the D's of LA, ANA, and CHI...and now what STL could possibly be...I don't like our chances, but the West is going to be a full on brawl for 3 rounds. Here's to getting lucky, and being the last team standing.

To blame a TEAMS failures on #12, or any one player, is absolutely ridiculous.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
i think shark fans are too easy on patty.

Patrick Marleau is one of the most consistent, effective, versatile, and fastest players of the last decade. He does everything well, he when asked can be elite defensively, elite offensively. Were we to lose Marleau the odds that we would find a player to replace him are next to zero. There are very few players that bring what Marleau brings, and those few are totally unavailable for the same reasons Marleau is totally unavailable. You simply don't let a player like that go.

He has off nights, but every player does. As his absolutely rock solid statistical consistency proves, he has less of those nights than most players, no matter what you may think.

It's absolutely fine to critisize Marleau when he has a bad night, but I think he's more than proven that over the course of a season he's going to give you, without fail, 20-30 goals and 60-70 points. You can pretty much put that in the bank. On top of all that, he will almost never miss a game because of his incredible durability.

Anyone that want's to trade Marleau, or worse let him walk in free agency, has frankly no freaking idea what they are talking about. You don't replace a player like that.

Danish Pastry

this is dream!
Jan 3, 2009
Copenhagen
Patrick Marleau is one of the most consistent, effective, versatile, and fastest players of the last decade. He does everything well, he when asked can be elite defensively, elite offensively. Were we to lose Marleau the odds that we would find a player to replace him are next to zero. There are very few players that bring what Marleau brings, and those few are totally unavailable for the same reasons Marleau is totally unavailable. You simply don't let a player like that go.

He has off nights, but every player does. As his absolutely rock solid statistical consistency proves, he has less of those nights than most players, no matter what you may think.

It's absolutely fine to critisize Marleau when he has a bad night, but I think he's more than proven that over the course of a season he's going to give you, without fail, 20-30 goals and 60-70 points. You can pretty much put that in the bank. On top of all that, he will almost never miss a game because of his incredible durability.

Anyone that want's to trade Marleau, or worse let him walk in free agency, has frankly no freaking idea what they are talking about. You don't replace a player like that.

Agree 100%.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

Why is it so hard for people to realize this?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
True., in part. But Iginla can make the case that he never had close to the supporting cast that Thornton and Marleau had and have.

i would say that is bull and is only used to make iginla look better then he was. he has had lots of good cast mates along side of him. he was just never that much better then his cast mates like thornton and marleau have been.

when iginla was putting up 90 point seasons, he had others putting up 80 point seasons along side of him. when iginla was putting up 60 point seasons he had others along side of him putting up 60 point seasons.

since the lockout and up to the last lockout calgary has had 48 (not naming iginla) 30+ point players on there teams.

since that same time san jose has had 49 (including marleau, not including thornton) 30+ point players on there teams.

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
i still remember when patty jumped over the puck in the detriot series and cost us the game. patty is a great reg season guy but just isnt a big game player. joe thornton isnt a big game player. great people, signed for cheap, great in regular season. joe t and patty are not leading this team to a cup. its okay for you guys to get excited in playoffs again but watch scoring dry up and us get bounced early again. this core arnt winners. sorry im not getting fooled for the 10 year straight

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
i still remember when patty jumped over the puck in the detriot series and cost us the game. patty is a great reg season guy but just isnt a big game player. joe thornton isnt a big game player. great people, signed for cheap, great in regular season. joe t and patty are not leading this team to a cup. its okay for you guys to get excited in playoffs again but watch scoring dry up and us get bounced early again. this core arnt winners. sorry im not getting fooled for the 10 year straight

Watcha gonna do if they win it this year?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

and yet thornton and marleau will both be at nearly or over a point per game during the playoffs just like they are always.

if you can't win in the playoffs with your 2 best players being at a point per game, it is no longer the top players that are the reason for losing. if a team needs 2 players to be doing all the scoring, then this team is doomed from the get go, because no 2 players will win you a cup. not even gretzky and lemieux together could win a cup together if no body else shows up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad