Patrick Marleau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sjshrky27

Jan 15, 2007
CA
Saying Marleau does/does not show up is very debatable. He is very streaky and has disappointed more then less come playoff time. I am a fan of Marleau and I think he could make the hall of fame. However, IMO I think the Sharks will not win a Stanley cup with him on the team.

McSorley33

Jul 20, 2003
www.enforcerjerseys.com
Marleau is not a Hall of Famer. Even if he wins a Cup. A lot of his aggregate stats are also a product of him playing a ton of games. But that's also a credit to him being a very good player for a long time. He is not a Hall of Famer, but if the Sharks ever retire numbers, he should unquestionably be the first guy to get that honour.

Interesting , What gets a person getting into the hall of fame,

Total

Goals

Top 100
He should make that.

Play offs

Top 50 in 2 categories

Goals
Assists
Pretty good on the penalty kill.

I don't think he will get into the Hall.
If you went off of the numbers a player puts up, he should be one.

Top 100 in all scoring categories.
Players with less have made it in to the Hall.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Saying Marleau does/does not show up is very debatable. He is very streaky and has disappointed more then less come playoff time. I am a fan of Marleau and I think he could make the hall of fame. However, IMO I think the Sharks will not win a Stanley cup with him on the team.

How do you come to such a conclusion that a single player being on the team is the difference between winning and losing the Stanley Cup?

CBJenga

May 30, 2008
How do you come to such a conclusion that a single player being on the team is the difference between winning and losing the Stanley Cup?

Their name starts with either "P" or "J" and ends with either "atrick Marleau" or "oe Thornton"

:sarcasm:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't think Marleau will get into the Hall of Fame, and I don't think he should. He's been a very good player for a long time, but he's never been an elite player. His durability and production has been very good, but again, not elite. And if I recall correctly, he's only been nominated for one major award, and that was the Lady Byng one year. Even if he wins a Stanley Cup (which is not that important for HOF consideration in my opinion), I don't think he gets in. He'll definitely get his number retired, though.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I don't think Marleau will get into the Hall of Fame, and I don't think he should. He's been a very good player for a long time, but he's never been an elite player. His durability and production has been very good, but again, not elite. And if I recall correctly, he's only been nominated for one major award, and that was the Lady Byng one year. Even if he wins a Stanley Cup (which is not that important for HOF consideration in my opinion), I don't think he gets in. He'll definitely get his number retired, though.

Do you believe every Player in the hall is a elite? If marleau finishes with 500 plus goals 1200 PTS and what the top 15 top maybe top ten alltime playoff goals cup would help his case but even at not. I think he has a good chance

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

His entry into the Hall of Fame, if it were to happen and yes it is a longshot, is based pretty much solely on his longevity with a single franchise that just happens to be one of the newer expansion teams. If he has to go somewhere else to win a Stanley Cup, he has no chance of entry even if he wins it. The Cup isn't that important but I think they would put weight into a player spending 20+ years in a non-traditional expansion market with the numbers that Marleau would have at the end of it.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Do you believe every Player in the hall is a elite? If marleau finishes with 500 plus goals 1200 PTS and what the top 15 top maybe top ten alltime playoff goals cup would help his case but even at not. I think he has a good chance

No, I don't. There are some players in the HOF that probably don't deserve to be there.

marleau2112

Jan 4, 2008
Toronto
Tied 10th all-time in playoff GWGs
Tied 24th all-time in regular season GWGs

Not saying that necessarily adds to his HOF case, I just like to keep track of it :)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
By the end of it, you have to think that Marleau will have 10+ seasons where he was major player on a contending team.

When you don't win a cup with that, it really hurts. After all, the point of the whole game is to win the cup.

The same applies to Joe Thornton.

Suddenly Zyuzin

Jan 14, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
By the end of it, you have to think that Marleau will have 10+ seasons where he was major player on a contending team.

When you don't win a cup with that, it really hurts. After all, the point of the whole game is to win the cup.

No, Joe Thornton is an easy lock for the Hall of Fame with or without a Cup. Marleau needs something special to add to his resume to even be a borderline candidate. Like a Smythe or a Hart. The second one is highly unlikely at this point and the first is a longshot too.

Joe Thornton on the other hand can just play 5 more seasons scoring 50-60 points a year and he is an easy lock to make the Hall of Fame regardless of team success.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Marleau's lacking any individual trophies. He probably deserved some Selkes along the way but we all know how it is. He's gonna have to keep chugging along if he wants a shot at the HOF. A Smythe or something like that would really help him out though.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Patty should be able to hit or at least be very close to 1000 points after next season, and hopefully can hit 500 goals before his contact extension is up. I'm hoping he can continue to climb the ranks so that there's a case for him to make the Hall. Winning the Cup and a Conn Smythe would really help out the cause.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
No, Joe Thornton is an easy lock for the Hall of Fame with or without a Cup. Marleau needs something special to add to his resume to even be a borderline candidate. Like a Smythe or a Hart. The second one is highly unlikely at this point and the first is a longshot too.

Joe Thornton on the other hand can just play 5 more seasons scoring 50-60 points a year and he is an easy lock to make the Hall of Fame regardless of team success.

I agree. As long as Thornton doesn't fall off a cliff statistically or get injured, he's getting into the Hall of Fame.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA

Two gold medals is something... right?

Suddenly Zyuzin

Jan 14, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
Two gold medals is something... right?

He was selected to two gold medal Olympic teams. He wasn't exactly a top player on 2 gold medal winning teams. That'd be like saying a 3rd liner on a cup winning team "won" the cup.

Besides its a team stat. I don't agree with the level of importance we put on cups and rings when judging an individual player's worth.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree. As long as Thornton doesn't fall off a cliff statistically or get injured, he's getting into the Hall of Fame.

Thornton's a lock for the hall of fame if he retired right now. It doesn't matter what he does on the ice at this point. He can't unlock himself.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He was selected to two gold medal Olympic teams. He wasn't exactly a top player on 2 gold medal winning teams. That'd be like saying a 3rd liner on a cup winning team "won" the cup.
Marleau was 3rd in ice time among forwards in Canada's 2010 gold medal tourney, playing both the pp and pk as well as the third line.

Marleau led Team Canada in assists going into the gold-medal game in 2014, playing on the most effective line for the team unquestionably, effective in the offensive and defensive zones, on what became in fact the second line.

Marleau wasn't "exactly" the top player but he was no mere third liner. He was arguably top-6 for Canada in BOTH tourneys!! He certainly was above average and an impact player in Vancouver and Sochi.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What would Marleau's numbers look like in an offensive minded system, The years of Sutter and Wilson were defense.

Not so much on Wilson but under Sutter, if he was playing in a more average system than Sutter's, he'd have 500 goals already.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal

Jerome Iginla

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Product of Thornton. Cheechoo would be in the top 100 in the same categories if he never got injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad