Patrick Laine injured in pre-season game after knee on knee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Thanks for that still. Damn that looks bad. With the way guys look at their iPads on the bench I’m assuming they all got to see this. Just don’t get how any teammate could see this image and not get their blood boiling.
starting to think current shin pad design could use a tweak or 2. Why not have it go above the knee with 2 pivoting bars on either side of the knee to provide lateral support? It shouldn't affect mobility

Reactions: Fatass

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Obviously after a play and injury like this, people are going to see it differently depending on which team they support. I am a Leafs fan, so perhaps this summary is skewed too, though not my intention.

(1) No doubt this was knee on knee and even if unintentional these are usually penalized with the penalty almost always going against the defender. This should have been two minutes, even if it was one of those late calls made after it was clear Laine was injured.

(2) It was unintentional and there is certainly blame to go around. Laine with his head down and legs apart trying to split two defenders, one of whom is in a position to stand him up or possibly level him is on Laine. This doesn't change the fact that I believe a penalty on Pare was probably warranted.

(3) Pare is not a goon, he was not brought in to do this. He is a journeyman trying to lock down a Marlies role.

(4) Xhekaj on the other hand pulled a Bertuzzi here. The on ice penalty calls against him support this statement. It might be understandable why he felt like he had to do what he did but that doesn't make it right or admirable. He should get a review for supplementary discipline. Having said this he is only marginally more valuable than Pare and won't be missed if he gets a couple of games. Given the Habs-Leafs open the season against each other, I would not be surprised to see a game or two so the league can avoid opening night bloodletting.

(5) I know this is just hockey and just the Internet, but anyone making those Amirov comments is deranged and should be blocked from posting permanently.

(6) Perhaps the largest indication of how mediocre or worse the Habs are this season is the amount of people commenting that "now with Laine out, the season been is lost" is the only laughable part of this. If Patrick Laine being out means it is going to be a long, tough season then it was probably also the case before the injury. This Habs team is not a "Patrick Laine" away from being a playoff team.

As a side note, the Habs have some nice pieces. They need more top end talent and to convert defensive prospects to help elsewhere in the lineup. They might want to make these moves sooner rather than later as the time to sell is at the height of unreasonable expectations. Not every prospect will turn out and with so many at one position their development opportunities might be limited as well. Trading Harris for Laine is a good example of this type of move.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
starting to think current shin pad design could use a tweak or 2. Why not have it go above the knee with 2 pivoting bars on either side of the knee to provide lateral support? It shouldn't affect mobility
Not too sure there’s a way to prevent this. There’s a lot of force on impact there. And one guys knee is flexed while the others is extended.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I've seen less hairsplitting in a shampoo commercial.
that splitting of hairs is the difference between Laine being seriously injured and just sore, ironically if it was straight knee on knee, I think Laine would have been ok

Not too sure there’s a way to prevent this. There’s a lot of force on impact there. And one guys knee is flexed while the others is extended.
true, and Pare's shin was angled downward meaning the impact pushed Laine's leg/knee downward causing the damage. If they just would have hit straight knee on knee, I think they both would have been sore but no major injury

Reactions: Fatass

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
A large section of that fanbase have already made up their minds that this was intentional, and will take it to the grave…..or best until November. It’s almost like they knew the season was going to be a bust with or without Laine, and just needed something bad to happen to start chirping.

It was literally juts an accident, a bad one. Somehow Pare’s mother is apparently at fault according to what I’m seeing on Instagram though.

It’s the way she goes…..as one TPB resident would say.
You can see the true colors of people in these situations. The crazy people on IG... The people that say it's Laine's fault because he's a dumb player... Etc

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Knowing that Laine had psychological issues which led to his being in the player assistance program last season really makes me hope that this situation doesn't trigger something else again so soon after the previous. This has got to be devastating for the player and all I can do is wish him the best.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This is a rare occurrence because the problem was Laine not moving his feet at all when he had the puck. Laine has always been a terrible skater and his stance was way too wide while attempting to go through 2 players. It's more his fault than anyone else. There's a reason why McDavid can do this and Laine clearly can't.

Don't
f***ing
Stick
Your
f***ing
Knee
Out

It's a dirty hit no matter what the deranged Leafs homers might think. Trash and I'm glad the guy got his bitch face caved in.

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
Don't
f***ing
Stick
Your
f***ing
Knee
Out

It's a dirty hit no matter what the deranged Leafs homers might think. Trash and I'm glad the guy got his bitch face caved in.
He didn't stick his knee out. Look at Pare. He's definitely flat-footed but there is no knee extension there. Pare went for Laine's upper body while Laine was trying to glide his way in on Pare left side. At that moment, Pare's body weight rotated from one leg to the other which caught Laine's left leg since he was doing the splits coming into the zone. That's all that happened. There was no extension.

Here's a good video showing and describing:

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
Don't
f***ing
Stick
Your
f***ing
Knee
Out

It was an accident, unlike X's attack from behind that should get him suspended.

You ok? You sound like you have anger issues. I hear counselling helps. Maybe go out for a walk and get some fresh air and watch less hockey?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Brutal for Laine and the Habs.

I don't know that it was intentional. Leafs player is moving in the direction of Laine and the puck, which is what you'd expect, and he didn't even move that much. I could see there being no intent there. Only person that really knows for sure is him.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It was an accident, unlike X's attack from behind that should get him suspended.

You ok? You sound like you have anger issues. I hear counselling helps. Maybe go out for a walk and get some fresh air and watch less hockey?

Nope. His feet mostly planted but he extended his knee into him.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

to be fair, its an expected reaction. Its human nature to find blame when flat out bad luck is involved.

Reactions: Roo

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Don't
f***ing
Stick
Your
f***ing
Knee
Out

Imo there was no intent. But the action did result in a serious injury. So every Hab player should have calling out every Leaf playing. Yes the one guy pounded the perpetrator. Slaf did a good job too fighting a guy. But the rest of the Habs should have been dropping the mitts and making every Leaf player fight. Caufield could have forced Robertson to go. Find a guy of equal size and show the other club they all have to pay the price.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
This injury absolutely sucks if it ends up being as bad if it looked as I was really rooting for Laine. But the funny thing is I check hockeydb in the morning sometimes and they show the most commonly searched for players in the past 5 minutes and the past hour.

This morning, the most commonly searched for player was Cedric Pare. Anytime it's a player I've never heard of, either it's someone who died, did something terrible, or just signed with the Leafs.

• Haha
Reactions: HofT

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Multiple guys tried to engage with him and he refused to even look at them. It seems pretty disingenuous to suggest he could've squared up while simultaneously "watching the play." He didn't want to face the consequences of his actions.
I didnt watch the game, I just seen replay that showed only what happened between the two. not going to argue Pare was running anymore if it happened with multiple players as well afterward but still doesnt change the fact what Xhekaj did was wrong, you dont jump guys from behind and try to ground and pound them

but the thing is he just stood his ground, ive seen videos breaking it down and they seem to think he just shifted his weight and didn't intentionally do it. :Laine is equally responsible for this happening, he put himself into a very bad situation,

its really just the Habs wanting revenge because why not. the same after Tavares

Mar 12, 2009
the whole glass house thing, I seem to remember the whole Chara thing and Hab fans actually calling the cops.
Habs are 1 of 2 franchise fanbases to riot twice over hockey games lol...I don't think there is a lot of self awareness there, or maybe that's something that doesn't have a direct translation from E to F. At least it looks like Leaf fans would have a place to stay rent free if they ever took the trip to Montreal.

maybe so, doesnt mean you jump him from behind and try to ground and pound. I'm not arguing that Xhekaj shouldn;t have done anything but the way he did it was stupid
I'd like to see a Leaf to the same thing so I can see the complete 180 these guys would do lol.

Reactions: LeafsNet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad