Confirmed with Link: Pat Maroon to NJ for 2019 3rd and J. D. Dudek

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Hate to give it to them, but they stocked up quick on draft picks. Started at last years draft really.

It's not so easy though. You still have to hit on the picks. Hope they stay healthy and produce at the expected level (or exceed that level) you have to hope they improve and not plateau and not regress as some of their guys have (Hayes, Vesey, Skjei). You have to hope you find a Bratt or two in the lower rounds. Good luck.

For all the advanced metrics a lot of this is very inexact. And luck plays a part in it. Are they going to get a 9th for Cory Schneider and Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall?

The Rangers just traded away a franchise cornerstone defenseman who's 28 years old, a workhorse and can likely play at a very high level for another 6 years. You don't just kick those to the curb even if you're rebuilding.

Regardless of how this season ends up our GM has shown he really has a knack for working some magic. Trades, drafting, player development. I've seen great things across the board. I don't know about their GM

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would trust Shero to work magic with those assets, but Gorton? Idk. There is no sure thing there. You have to draft well to hit on late firsts. It isn’t a gimmie pick.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I would trust Shero to work magic with those assets, but Gorton? Idk. There is no sure thing there. You have to draft well to hit on late firsts. It isn’t a gimmie pick.

They’ve done well recently drafting and with assets. But they didn’t get any real key pieces. A late first isn’t that much more valuable than a mid second according to a lot of experts.

I’d be pretty disappointed as a rangers fan.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's not so easy though. You still have to hit on the picks. Hope they stay healthy and produce at the expected level (or exceed that level) you have to hope they improve and not plateau and not regress as some of their guys have (Hayes, Vesey, Skjei). You have to hope you find a Bratt or two in the lower rounds. Good luck.

For all the advanced metrics a lot of this is very inexact. And luck plays a part in it. Are they going to get a 9th for Cory Schneider and Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall?

The Rangers just traded away a franchise cornerstone defenseman who's 28 years old, a workhorse and can likely play at a very high level for another 6 years. You don't just kick those to the curb even if you're rebuilding.

Regardless of how this season ends up our GM has shown he really has a knack for working some magic. I don't know about their GM
I don't want to stick up for the Rag's, so I won't. :surrender

Reactions: blood gin

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hey guys, first of all congrats on a solid season so far. I was hoping to get some info on Dudek. I realize that he is likely a throw in or a guy that many of you think won't amount to much as a player but I would think/hope there are at least a few posters here that thinks that he has some upside. So I'm not looking for "lol he sucks" types of posts to describe his game or upside. In return I'm happy to give you a scouting report on Maroon.

Pro's:
Big body that is able to get in the trenches, battle and stick up for teammates (good but not great fighter).

Surprisingly good hands for a big man. He is a good set-up guy from behind the net for example.

He seems to play really well against the Bruins. Has his only career hattrick against them and always seems to be on his A game when he played them while on the Oilers.

Can produce well with skilled players.

Likable guy with a big heart.

Con's:
Like most big players consistency is an issue.

Very slow in terms of getting up and down the ice.

Takes dumb penalties at times (as do most physical players).

Overall I was hoping for a 2nd round pick for him so IMO you guys got him for a little cheaper than I hoped.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
They’ve done well recently drafting and with assets. But they didn’t get any real key pieces. A late first isn’t that much more valuable than a mid second according to a lot of experts.

I’d be pretty disappointed as a rangers fan.

They were good for a little while. Kreider, Dubinsky, Callahan. The Gomez trade. Just finding Lundqvist. Now granted they haven't had first round picks because they've traded them in trying to win a cup. But since say Buchnevich in round 3 2013, the Rangers have drafted poorly

From 2001 to 2012 the Rangers drafted well. Sometimes very well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pretty good numbers indeed. Plus Oilers have other wingers who have not done as well with McDavid.

Not saying Maroon is some superstar, but I think he will hold his own just fine. He ha as role to play here.

Keep in mind that our other centers were mostly Draisaitl and RNH. Not McDavid but hardly chopped liver. He had his moments on the 3rd line but also had lengthy quiet stretches there.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Hey guys, first of all congrats on a solid season so far. I was hoping to get some info on Dudek. I realize that he is likely a throw in or a guy that many of you think won't amount to much as a player but I would think/hope there are at least a few posters here that thinks that he has some upside. So I'm not looking for "lol he sucks" types of posts to describe his game or upside. In return I'm happy to give you a scouting report on Maroon.

Pro's:
Big body that is able to get in the trenches, battle and stick up for teammates (good but not great fighter).

Surprisingly good hands for a big man. He is a good set-up guy from behind the net for example.

He seems to play really well against the Bruins. Has his only career hattrick against them and always seems to be on his A game when he played them while on the Oilers.

Con's:

Overall I was hoping for a 2nd round pick for him so IMO you guys got him for a little cheaper than I hoped.

Thanks for the write-up, looking forward to having Maroon on the team!

As for Dudek, I don't know much but @thethinglonger would.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey

May not be able to give as succinct points r.e. Dudek as the above poster, but I just wrote this in the CHL prospects thread last week:

There's still one more season for Dudek to turn it around, but I'll be blunt: I'm not very high on him. I like his skating and he's got good awareness, but he hasn't taken the step forward this season that I was hoping for him. He started off the season with an injury and could be feeling the lingering effects. Regardless, he's a 4-year college player and if he turns into anything, then that's another forward who can slot in at any position (mostly center), which can only help...but times have changed. This organization is no longer one with our weak prospect pool, so opportunities will be harder. Plus the whole fact that he's a Lou pick, for what it's worth. Don't think we end up signing him...but if we did, it would only be an AHL level deal. Still don't see it happening though.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Pro's:

Con's:

Dudek had a good prospects camps a bunch of years ago, and has disapointed ever since. Just check his stats in the USHL and at BC.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

No worries. He is a playoff type player, when the whistles get put away he will thrive. If Hall has a slow start due to opposing teams getting away with murder like they did against McDavid last year, a guy like Maroon can chip in some valuable secondary offense.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
May not be able to give as succinct points r.e. Dudek as the above poster, but I just wrote this in the CHL prospects thread last week:

Thanks. What kind of injury did he have?

Dudek had a good prospects camps a bunch of years ago, and has disapointed ever since. Just check his stats in the USHL and at BC.

Is it a lack of skill, work ethic, something else in your opinion?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Thanks. What kind of injury did he have?

Is it a lack of skill, work ethic, something else in your opinion?
I haven't seen him play enough to make any sort of judgement. And I'm not one to say a prospect needs to produce at such and such a level if we want to consider him worthy. But he has put up very underwhelming #'s every step of the way.

We drafted him out of Kimball Union Academy, where he put up a decent stat line, but so did Niko Rufo, (which begs the question, "who is that?"). And Dudek (like Rufo) just never developed enough to get anyone excited.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Kind of surprised they couldn’t even get us to pony up JQ or someone. Dudek is just so far down the list.
This trade doesn't get made if NJ is giving up anything of real value. Edmonton wanted to get what they could, and they took what we offered. It was close enough to the deadline that there was no time to barter.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Kind of surprised they couldn’t even get us to pony up JQ or someone. Dudek is just so far down the list.

Almost makes it seem like a political move whereby Chia wanted to be able to claim he was getting a "prospect" in addition to a draft pick, without really getting a legitimate prospect.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Wow, what an absurd valuation of Bratt.

Between him and Terry Jones who seemed surprised that we didn't improve our team at the deadline (no I'm not joking) we have some guys that cover the team that are clearly not based in reality.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Almost makes it seem like a political move whereby Chia wanted to be able to claim he was getting a "prospect" in addition to a draft pick, without really getting a legitimate prospect.

Chia admitted that he didn't get what he wanted and that Dudek is not close to NHL ready. We have a pair of prospects on Dudek's team so it is possible that we took a bit of a liking to him. McPhee and Rasanen are our prospects on the same team FWIW.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad