Passing of Bob Dailey, former Canucks defenseman

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to be a survivor from the '70's to remember him, but saddened to hear of the passing of big Bob Dailey.....6'5" Marlies d-man the Canucks drafted in the first round of the '73 entry draft...called the amateur draft back then...eventually traded to the Flyers.....gone too soon...condolences.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I can remember watching Blazers games at the Coliseum, as well as early Canucks games. For some reason I don't remember watching a lot of Canucks games on HNIC back then, I guess they were mostly showing TO and MTL.

NVMHA adopted the Canucks rink/hockey stick logo way back then.

testimonials_logo_nvmha.png

RIP - this captures my memories of Bob Dailey:

s-bob-dailey-of-the-vancouver-canucks-skates-against-the-boston-at-picture-id79470416

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
RIP. It's strange how - outside of Kurtenbach - most of the top players from 1970-78 who wore the original uniform are so anonymous in Canuck history. Players like Dailey and Don Lever should hold a far more prominent position in the history of the franchise but simply don't for whatever reason.

The trade of Dailey to Philadelphia for Larry Goodenough is probably the 3rd-worst trade in franchise history behind only the Neely and Vaive deals.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
RIP. It's strange how - outside of Kurtenbach - most of the top players from 1970-78 who wore the original uniform are so anonymous in Canuck history. Players like Dailey and Don Lever should hold a far more prominent position in the history of the franchise but simply don't for whatever reason.
heh, I still remember Gary Smith if for no other reason he punted the puck down the ice once (at least that's what I *think* he did lol).

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
MS;121926877 ... The trade of Dailey to Philadelphia for Larry Goodenough is probably the 3rd-worst trade in franchise history behind only the Neely and Vaive deals.[/QUOTE said:
It was actually Dailey for Goodenough and McIlhargey. McIlhargey actually played more games for the Canucks than Goodenough (as well as, obviously, punching quite a few more faces.)

That doesn't alter the fact it was a horrible trade. Philadelphia got the best player by far and only Dailey's career ending due to injury after 300+ regular season games with the Flyers and a couple of all-star game appearances kept it from looking even worse.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes, back in the 70's the Canucks weren't reluctant to draft d-men in the top-10 of the first round...Dale Tallon, Jocelynn Guevremont and Bob Dailey come to mind....trying to think of a some other first rounders before Juolevi...Bryan Allan.Rick Lantz and the late Luc Bourdon, and of course Mattias Ohlund come to mind...also Brad Ferrence, along with Garth Butcher and Michel Petit where were drafted in consecutive years in '81-'82..then there was Mike Wilson, Jason Herter and J.J. Daigneault who was drafted on crutches...that's about it..not stellar for 46 years worth of drafts...but Bob Dailey carved out a decent career in VanCity and Philly and will be missed.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

The trade of Dailey to Philadelphia for Larry Goodenough is probably the 3rd-worst trade in franchise history behind only the Neely and Vaive deals.

for the longest time i didn't even know he ever played for us. knew him as that guy on the flyers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
for the longest time i didn't even know he ever played for us. knew him as that guy on the flyers.

There's this weird thing where (outside of Kurtenbach, Boudrias and Gary Smith), Canucks history almost seems to begin in 1978 with Smyl, Gradin, Harry Neale and the gaudy uniform change.

The first 8 years in blue jerseys - despite being much more successful then the decade+ that followed - are this weird afterthought that seems almost forgotten and that nobody knows much about, other than those 2-3 key players.

Bob Dailey was probably the best defender in the first decade of franchise history ... but almost no casual fans under the age of 40 have ever heard of him, I don't think.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
There's this weird thing where (outside of Kurtenbach, Boudrias and Gary Smith), Canucks history almost seems to begin in 1978 with Smyl, Gradin, Harry Neale and the gaudy uniform change.

The first 8 years in blue jerseys - despite being much more successful then the decade+ that followed - are this weird afterthought that seems almost forgotten and that nobody knows much about, other than those 2-3 key players.

Bob Dailey was probably the best defender in the first decade of franchise history ... but almost no casual fans under the age of 40 have ever heard of him, I don't think.

Sorry the stats say otherwise. The first 20 years were basically pretty bad. I went to games regularly through that period.

Trying to remember the Boston goalie who used to leave the net with 4 -5 seconds to go in the period. Pretty sure it was Dailey who scored from his own end into the vacated net with .5 seconds to go, with the goalie diving to stop the shot and just barely missing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad