Confirmed with Link: Panthers and Broward Country agree to five-year lease extension + further extension options

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
The new 9-year agreement between the county and the Panthers runs through 2033. And Broward County will have the option to retain the Panthers at the 26-year-old county-owned arena for two additional five-year terms, totaling 19 years if both options are activated on top of the new lease.

“Normally these leases are longer in term but for us we need more time to evaluate the development rights,” Caldwell said.

1726590691680.gif

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
This seems like a big deal:

In return for paying off the debt, the Panthers will basically get development rights to the land surrounding the arena back.

In 2015, when the team reworked its lease agreement with the county and began receiving tourism tax dollars, it had surrendered land development rights to Broward County.

Per the new agreement, the Panthers will have four years of exclusive rights to propose development on the massive parking lots which surround the arena.

The Panthers would like to turn some of those parking lots into a mixed-development project which may include housing, retail, offices, a hotel, bars and restaurants.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
This seems like a big deal:

In return for paying off the debt, the Panthers will basically get development rights to the land surrounding the arena back.

In 2015, when the team reworked its lease agreement with the county and began receiving tourism tax dollars, it had surrendered land development rights to Broward County.

Per the new agreement, the Panthers will have four years of exclusive rights to propose development on the massive parking lots which surround the arena.

The Panthers would like to turn some of those parking lots into a mixed-development project which may include housing, retail, offices, a hotel, bars and restaurants.

Have the lots gotten pretty full lately? I’m trying to figure out what this looks like assuming they develop the lots into something. Does that push more parking to sawgrass?

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
I'm mainly park in the lots off Swagrass exit, so the east side of the arena. It felt like in packed games that side was getting pretty full. Had packed in the suite parking lot too, and I think there were more open spots on the west side, but that was a 30min-1 hour before puck drop.

Sort of curious on if there would be any use restrictions.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Depending on if the swampy area behind the arena is protected, it could be expanded as replacement parking options or development.

1726668059271.png

Last edited:

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Depending on if the swampy area behind the arena is protected, it could be expanded as replacement parking options or development.

View attachment 907694

Looking at their permit with SFWMD, the 19 acre wetland was to be preserved per a DRI as a requirement of Broward County DNRP.
And at least per the permit summary, the wetlands were used for overflow for drainage.
Of course, big money talks. And well they can do chambers to make up storage.

I don't know how strict Broward is on wetland mitigation. I know PBC you can mitigate. Martin County will shoot you if you touch a wetland, but Stuart allows mitigation.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad