Friedman: Pacioretty in "30 Thoughts"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Rakell can play LW & C. He doesnt have as great a shot as Pacioretty does but he plays a more hard to the net game. He's only 23 and signed on a hell of a deal at ~3.85 until 2021-22. Starting to have a breakout year as well and is almost a PPG. Fowler will command a bigger raise but thats after the 2017-2018 season. We'll have Price, Chucky, Radulov signed for deals and thats when Plekanec comes off his deal. I'm sure capwise we could make it work.

Sounds like a Therrien kind of guy haha. Well, most players won`t have the same shot as Pacioretty. We`re talking about a top 10-15 wrister in Patches.

I like what I saw from Rackell in the couple Ducks game I watched. And he did seem to drive the net more often than not when he had the puck.

Like I said, the upgrade from Beaulieu to Fowler would probably make it worth to swap Patches for Rackell, even though at seasons end, he might have less goals. I think he would slot nice onto a line with Gallagher, and give us a new dimension come playoff time.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
A ducks fan thinks Rakell & Fowler for Pacioretty and Beaulieu is fair. I think that would really solidify our team
And that Ducks fan is completely wrong and has no clue what they're talking about. We're not trading ATM, our best D for a worse player who isn't even younger or has higher potential than Fowler. And not trading our best young forward for a guy who is 28 years old and has a contract that is more than Rakell's and takes him to 31 years old.

I can get behind that deal. Not too sure Anaheim wants another defenseman, though.
We don't want a worse defensemen for our better one.

I would think long and hard about a Rackell+Fowler for Patches+Beaulieu deal, as a habs fan. The upgrade on D is nice, and we would have a solid 1st pairing with Weber/Fowler, but my concern is at wing. Does Rackell play only RW? If so, that would leave our left wing absolutely abysmal. And if he can play LW, how does he measure up vs Patches?

We definitely lose on the cap side of things, especially if Fowler wants a huge raise in a year.

Although Rackell is slightly younger, and plays a style that might compliment our second line better.

Good proposal from my perspective.

It's good from your perspective because you're getting the higher valued players in the deal. Patches can score more goals, but his age and contract (when compared to Rakell's) means he's not as valuable as Rakell. Plus Fowler is lightyears better than Beaulieu, so there's no reason we make that trade. Montreal is not getting Rakell unless Galchenyuk is in the deal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ppl saying trading patches would leave LW problems so no trade is just dumb!!!

C & LD are the biggest problems and C are harder to come by then LW!!C depth helps win cup not LW know your hockey!!

Byron is lighting it up right now as a LW so that just proves to you that you can fill the hole with a prospect or a lesser player the patches. Which Byron is scoring more then him & patches gets special treatment & more ice time.

So Ppl want to keep patches around cause of contract, well what happens if he doesn't sign on again?? Or what if he is getting 7-8 mill yr & playing the way he is now, would yous till love him?? You do not want to let a huge value like patches & contract slip away or sign a bad contract, when you can get a huge return to help your team out in better ways.
Looking in the past won't help patches play better, yes he us a great scorer for 4.5 but on his next contract he is not the player you want to pay 7-8 mill for his laziness & scared of contact or doing the dirty work.

Again learn hockey!!! LW/RW is ALOT easier to find then C & Habs need C/LD more then anything else!! Anyone saying they wouldn't solve the C position cause LW is weak don't know what they are talking about!!

FYI, the real issue has less to do with the hole it creates in Montreal's lineup and more to do with the fact that because of that very replaceability you cite he's just not that valuable on the trade market. So it makes very little sense to move the guy.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
And that Ducks fan is completely wrong and has no clue what they're talking about. We're not trading ATM, our best D for a worse player who isn't even younger or has higher potential than Fowler. And not trading our best young forward for a guy who is 28 years old and has a contract that is more than Rakell's and takes him to 31 years old.

We don't want a worse defensemen for our better one.

It's good from your perspective because you're getting the higher valued players in the deal. Patches can score more goals, but his age and contract (when compared to Rakell's) means he's not as valuable as Rakell. Plus Fowler is lightyears better than Beaulieu, so there's no reason we make that trade. Montreal is not getting Rakell unless Galchenyuk is in the deal.

I actually meant for both teams, when I said it was a good proposal. Age/Contract?? So being 27 and making 4.5m are negatives when you think of Pacioretty lol? In a vacuum, there is not 1 unbiased person that would not trade Rackell for Pacioretty 1for1. Contracts are similar and 3 years age difference is not a deal breaker.

Agreed that Fowler is the better player. But Patches is the better player at the moment . That's what makes the deal one to consider. But hey, I understand teams like their players and are reluctant to trade them unless they are getting a crystal clear upgrade.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I actually meant for both teams, when I said it was a good proposal. Age/Contract?? So being 27 and making 4.5m are negatives when you think of Pacioretty lol? In a vacuum, there is not 1 unbiased person that would not trade Rackell for Pacioretty 1for1. Contracts are similar and 3 years age difference is not a deal breaker.

Agreed that Fowler is the better player. But Patches is the better player at the moment . That's what makes the deal one to consider. But hey, I understand teams like their players and are reluctant to trade them unless they are getting a crystal clear upgrade.

Well first off, Patches is 28 and Rakell is 23. Patches has 3 years left on his deal that takes him to 31, and Rakell has 6 years on a cheaper deal. So what do the Ducks do when Patches contract is up when he's 31? Give him a long term deal at that age that is going to be bad, and now we have another anchor of a contract to deal with. Or we keep Rakell who is 23 and signed till he's 29 at a cheaper contract. Who cares about in a vacuum, we don't live in that world, but sure in a vacuum Patches has more value than Rakell. You can't ignore age and cap hit in deals anymore. It's not about getting a clear upgrade, it's about not giving up on the future for a maybe in the present. Like I've said before, if we're trading our best young forward, we would want someone of a similar age and talent, and guess who that is from the Habs...

If you want our best young forward, he's the type of player we would want in return. Don't like it? Don't ask for Rakell.

:ducks2
Pacioretty
Beaulieu
Sergachev/Juulsen

:habs
Fowler
Rakell

Another huge no. Not giving up the better valued player in Rakell, the better player in Fowler; for a player we lose or give a terrible contract to in 3 years, a player that is much worse than Fowler who doesn't have the same upside as Fowler, and for a D prospect that we don't need.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
Like I've said before, if we're trading our best young forward, we would want someone of a similar age and talent, and guess who that is from the Habs...

Well there's always Scherbak. He's 2 point behind the AHL leader currently, he's 20 and he's an RFA when his contracts up. 1-1 seems pretty fair.

:sarcasm:

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Well first off, Patches is 28 and Rakell is 23. Patches has 3 years left on his deal that takes him to 31, and Rakell has 6 years on a cheaper deal. So what do the Ducks do when Patches contract is up when he's 31? Give him a long term deal at that age that is going to be bad, and now we have another anchor of a contract to deal with. Or we keep Rakell who is 23 and signed till he's 29 at a cheaper contract. Who cares about in a vacuum, we don't live in that world, but sure in a vacuum Patches has more value than Rakell. You can't ignore age and cap hit in deals anymore. It's not about getting a clear upgrade, it's about not giving up on the future for a maybe in the present. Like I've said before, if we're trading our best young forward, we would want someone of a similar age and talent, and guess who that is from the Habs...

If you want our best young forward, he's the type of player we would want in return. Don't like it? Don't ask for Rakell.

Another huge no. Not giving up the better valued player in Rakell, the better player in Fowler; for a player we lose or give a terrible contract to in 3 years, a player that is much worse than Fowler who doesn't have the same upside as Fowler, and for a D prospect that we don't need.

I understand you could have this thought that Pacioretty is overrated and all, but beyond his point intake is his excellent defensive game. He would make your first line absolutely brutal to literally every other team in the league. I had the feeling you guys were going all in this year too. If you don't want a top defensive prospect, a 1st and 2nd would do too. Don't get too ahead of yourself with Rakell. He's great but he's not elite. At least he's not proven yet (unlike Pacioretty who's been a top scorer for the last 6 seasons straight - while being defensively aware). Also in a "vacuum", if Ducks got an offer for Tavares, they would trade Rakell +++. It's just how it is. Pacioretty is 4.5 years older than Rakell (which is not bad at all considering he's elite status). He's not 7-8 years older. If you're in win mode now, you gotta do what you gotta do. MTL could use a legit top LD, and ANA could use a legit sniper/top-scoring LW.

Last edited:

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007

I get that you personally prefer Rackell over Patches, but you can`t contradict yourself, depending on who you talk to.

At the end of the day:

Patches > Rackell
Beaulieu < Fowler

Yes Rackell is younger and has a cheaper contract, but goals DO matter. If Patches scores 15 goals more than Rackell every season for the next 3 seasons, than if your the Ducks, you need to strongly consider it. Any team would in todays league that is practically goal starved.

Its not a bad proposal, it`s just one , you , personally don`t like, and that`s fine.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
There is no world, inclduing this one, that rakell is better or more valuable then Pacioretty. they are 4 years apart in age

in his 23rd year season patches had 33 goals and 65 points.

the following year he had 39 goals.

Rakell has tons of potential and may end up being as good.. but maybe not. and his linemates the last 2 seasons werent david freakin desharnais.

PAcioretty is so undervalued in these forums its ridiculous. HE alone could probably return Rakel and fowler with a small + on pacioretty

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I understand you could have this thought that Pacioretty is overrated and all, but beyond his point intake is his excellent defensive game. He would make your first line absolutely brutal to literally every other team in the league. I had the feeling you guys were going all in this year too. If you don't want a top defensive prospect, a 1st and 2nd would do too. Don't get too ahead of yourself with Rakell. He's great but he's not elite. At least he's not proven yet (unlike Pacioretty who's been a top scorer for the last 6 seasons straight - while being defensively aware). Also in a "vacuum", if Ducks got an offer for Tavares, they would trade Rakell +++. It's just how it is. Pacioretty is 4.5 years older than Rakell (which is not bad at all considering he's elite status). He's not 7-8 years older. If you're in win mode now, you gotta do what you gotta do. MTL could use a legit top LD, and ANA could use a legit sniper/top-scoring LW.

You're overestimating Getz and Perry right now. Perry has been a shell of his former self (somehow still putting up assists), and Getz is not a dominant center anymore. So adding Patches doesn't make that line a killer line like you're thinking. It'll be good, but not a huge upgrade from having Rakell there.

We're trying to compete, but we don't give up our future to do so. Which is exactly what we're doing if we're giving up Rakell for Patches. This organization is not about that.

Why do we keep talking about in a vacuum? We don't live in that world. We live in one where age and contracts matter, so..

Patches is older, on a shorter contract, and the cap hit is higher (so not sure how that even fits with our cap hit right now), that's not something we need to be giving up our best young forward, our only sure thing when it comes to young forwards. It's not just a deal I don't like, it's a deal that makes no sense for us right now and for the future.

You guys are getting hung up on me not agreeing on the value, but you're ignoring our needs completely. We don't need to give up Rakell for a upgrade for 3 years and have no immediate replacement for one of the big 3 forwards we have.

I get that you personally prefer Rackell over Patches, but you can`t contradict yourself, depending on who you talk to.

At the end of the day:

Patches > Rackell
Beaulieu < Fowler

Yes Rackell is younger and has a cheaper contract, but goals DO matter. If Patches scores 15 goals more than Rackell every season for the next 3 seasons, than if your the Ducks, you need to strongly consider it. Any team would in todays league that is practically goal starved.

Its not a bad proposal, it`s just one , you , personally don`t like, and that`s fine.

I'm not contradicting myself though. In a vacuum, Patches has more value. But in the real world, where age and contract matters, Rakell is the higher valued player. And what happens when Rakell scores 20 goals for 3 years after we lose Patches in FA? Like you said, goals matter, so I'll take the guy who will most likely put up at least 20 goals for 6 more years, over the guy who will put up 30ish goals for 3 more years. It's a bad deal when you consider everything around it from the Ducks perspective. It's takes away our future forward, which if you haven't seen our forward group, has about one sure thing (Rakell).

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario

Is Rakell a #1 C all of the sudden? Did I miss something?

Pacioretty would be a monster on a line with Perry and Getzlaf, Anaheim might feel whatever defenseman they trade is a loss they can take with the prospects they have. Although I don't know what their situations are as far as CHL, AHL, and being able to call them up. Pacioretty doesn't seem like the type of guy who's going to drink beers by the pool in Anaheim. Their media interest is literally going to be 2 beat writers locally, which compared to Montreal being the captain of the Habs...It will probably be real nice to be able to go out for dinner as a regular person. That is, if the whole "he doesn't want the pressure" talk is real. Sometimes it is, look at Dwight Howard in the NBA...he never wants to be "the guy" and ran away from the Lakers. I just don't see how it would be a problem now, he 2 years in a row once scored the opening goal against the Leafs...I don't know what his family situation is but sometimes that changes and players just want to be able to take their kids to school, or need to go grocery shopping with their pregnant wife. Simple things like that can be exhausting if you're the captain of the Canadians.

I think that needs to be explored more, if he quietly wants out, actually wants out. I'm sure since this was said or known in the league every team looking for scoring at a really great cap price has called Montreal just to talk. The stories or leaks...IMO if his agent or him talk to Friedman they would get him to spin it so they aren't the ones leaking it. Like Friedman just comes out of nowhere with the "Sometimes I wonder if a fresh start would be better for him, somewhere quieter." line and we're just supposed to assume he was sitting on the can one day and thought it up? I think he's a little more credible and professional than that.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Is Rakell a #1 C all of the sudden? Did I miss something?

Pacioretty would be a monster on a line with Perry and Getzlaf, Anaheim might feel whatever defenseman they trade is a loss they can take with the prospects they have. Although I don't know what their situations are as far as CHL, AHL, and being able to call them up. Pacioretty doesn't seem like the type of guy who's going to drink beers by the pool in Anaheim. Their media interest is literally going to be 2 beat writers locally, which compared to Montreal being the captain of the Habs...It will probably be real nice to be able to go out for dinner as a regular person. That is, if the whole "he doesn't want the pressure" talk is real. Sometimes it is, look at Dwight Howard in the NBA...he never wants to be "the guy" and ran away from the Lakers. I just don't see how it would be a problem now, he 2 years in a row once scored the opening goal against the Leafs...I don't know what his family situation is but sometimes that changes and players just want to be able to take their kids to school, or need to go grocery shopping with their pregnant wife. Simple things like that can be exhausting if you're the captain of the Canadians.

I think that needs to be explored more, if he quietly wants out, actually wants out. I'm sure since this was said or known in the league every team looking for scoring at a really great cap price has called Montreal just to talk. The stories or leaks...IMO if his agent or him talk to Friedman they would get him to spin it so they aren't the ones leaking it. Like Friedman just comes out of nowhere with the "Sometimes I wonder if a fresh start would be better for him, somewhere quieter." line and we're just supposed to assume he was sitting on the can one day and thought it up? I think he's a little more credible and professional than that.

If you want our only good young forward who will be able to somewhat replace our big 3 forwards in a few years, it'll be for a similar age and talent player (don't get this confused as me saying Rakell is as good as Gally, he's not). The Ducks aren't an organization that gives up it's futures for present success, it never has been and never will be, we can't afford to be that kind of team.

If Patches can't handle the pressure there, that sucks. But, we're not going to give up Rakell so Patches can have a nice pressure-free life here for 3 years than bolts in FA since we couldn't afford to keep him.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
You're overestimating Getz and Perry right now. Perry has been a shell of his former self (somehow still putting up assists), and Getz is not a dominant center anymore

I'm not contradicting myself though. In a vacuum, Patches has more value. But in the real world, where age and contract matters, Rakell is the higher valued player. And what happens when Rakell scores 20 goals for 3 years after we lose Patches in FA? Like you said, goals matter, so I'll take the guy who will most likely put up at least 20 goals for 6 more years, over the guy who will put up 30ish goals for 3 more years. It's a bad deal when you consider everything around it from the Ducks perspective. It's takes away our future forward, which if you haven't seen our forward group, has about one sure thing (Rakell).

A) Literally same thing was said about Perry and Getzlaf last year...It's being sold but I am not going to buy it yet.

B) You won't win a cup if you value a guy who scores 20 goals for 6 years over a guy who scores 30ish for 3...that's Anaheim's goal, their window is now. You can take one of the better wrist shots in the league...or 20 goals for 6 years. You don't seem to get that, Anaheim had Rakell's 20 goals in the playoffs last year...Pittsburgh won the cup. The Sharks went to the cup. 20 goals for 6 years isn't getting Anaheim where they want to be.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is the kind of stuff where Friedman starts trying to freestyle and riff off on his own musings and it's really mostly just completely stupid. Guy needs to stick to what he's actually good at...being a mouthpiece for "league sources" and conduit for information.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
This is the kind of stuff where Friedman starts trying to freestyle and riff off on his own musings and it's really mostly just completely stupid. Guy needs to stick to what he's actually good at...being a mouthpiece for "league sources" and conduit for information.

I was talking about this before, who's to say Pacioretty's agent or he himself didn't get Friedman to pull this out of his toilet thoughts?

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
You're overestimating Getz and Perry right now. Perry has been a shell of his former self (somehow still putting up assists), and Getz is not a dominant center anymore. So adding Patches doesn't make that line a killer line like you're thinking. It'll be good, but not a huge upgrade from having Rakell there.

We're trying to compete, but we don't give up our future to do so. Which is exactly what we're doing if we're giving up Rakell for Patches. This organization is not about that.

Why do we keep talking about in a vacuum? We don't live in that world. We live in one where age and contracts matter, so..

Patches is older, on a shorter contract, and the cap hit is higher (so not sure how that even fits with our cap hit right now), that's not something we need to be giving up our best young forward, our only sure thing when it comes to young forwards. It's not just a deal I don't like, it's a deal that makes no sense for us right now and for the future.

You guys are getting hung up on me not agreeing on the value, but you're ignoring our needs completely. We don't need to give up Rakell for a upgrade for 3 years and have no immediate replacement for one of the big 3 forwards we have.

I understand you. I initially thought you were over-estimating Rakell / under-estimating Pacioretty, but I see what you mean. I personally think Pacioretty could revive that first line. He's very mature on the ice and does well with other mature players. Hence the reason he's not paired with Galchenyuk (he's always either paired with black-hole Plekanec or Desharnais, lol). Unless we trade for a legit 2C that would compliment Pacioretty's offensive skills, he's better off going to another team in exchange for someone who could fill in a need for us (Fowler) and to ensure we don't have a gaping hole in LW we would go for Rakell who could be paired with Galchenyuk. Besides, I guarantee you that with teammates like Getzlaf/Perry, Pacioretty won't be a 30-goal scorer, he'll be a 40+ (remember, these past few seasons he's been paired with Plekanec and Desharnais...) Also by trading away Fowler helps you guys out for the expansion draft. I know Beaulieu will also be exposed, and that he's not in the same level, but he has a lot of potential - he's just too much of a party guy (MTL is the worst for that). A change of scenery for him too could change his game completely. People really thought he would do wonders with Weber before this season started. Then he started partying again... Luckily his value won't be much higher when he goes RFA. He's a good gamble for you guys in my opinion, and you save on cap $ all in all.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
A) Literally same thing was said about Perry and Getzlaf last year...It's being sold but I am not going to buy it yet.

B) You won't win a cup if you value a guy who scores 20 goals for 6 years over a guy who scores 30ish for 3...that's Anaheim's goal, their window is now. You can take one of the better wrist shots in the league...or 20 goals for 6 years. You don't seem to get that, Anaheim had Rakell's 20 goals in the playoffs last year...Pittsburgh won the cup. The Sharks went to the cup. 20 goals for 6 years isn't getting Anaheim where they want to be.

Do you really think Patches is the make or break piece for us winning a cup? You would think a team like the Habs who are also trying to win a cup would want a player like that...

Patches is a fine player, overrated imo, but he's not going to take this team to a cup. It's not just me who thinks this, this very organization thinks the same (don't give up the future for present success). Look at the TDLs when we were actual competitors for the cup, we didn't give up key future pieces for big names that could help us win a cup. We didn't do it then, why would we do it now?

Somehow I'm crazy for valuing 120 goals for 6 years over 90 goals for 3 years, while also wanting to keep the best young forward we have for a guy we'll either have for only 3 years or sign to a terrible long term deal.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
So many terrible posts in here it is unbelievable. Pacioretty has had 191 points the last 3 seasons while playing 235 games. People are just going to give up on him because he has 15 points in 23 games this season? He has played most of his time with Gallagher (terrible cold streak), Shaw (3rd line grinder) and Plekanec (Can't generate anything anymore). One hot streak and everyone will love him again.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
Then he started partying again...

Southern California won't be any better for someone making a million dollars...Instead of women dragging him outside to smoke cigarettes, they'll be dragging him outside to get them pregnant for 18 years of child support.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Southern California won't be any better for someone making a million dollars...Instead of women dragging him outside to smoke cigarettes, they'll be dragging him outside to get them pregnant for 18 years of child support.

Then it'll be their problem! :laugh:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I understand you. I initially thought you were over-estimating Rakell / under-estimating Pacioretty, but I see what you mean. I personally think Pacioretty could revive that first line. He's very mature on the ice and does well with other mature players. Hence the reason he's not paired with Galchenyuk (he's always either paired with black-hole Plekanec or Desharnais, lol). Unless we trade for a legit 2C that would compliment Pacioretty's offensive skills, he's better off going to another team in exchange for someone who could fill in a need for us (Fowler) and to ensure we don't have a gaping hole in LW we would go for Rakell who could be paired with Galchenyuk. Also by trading away Fowler helps you guys out for the expansion draft. I know Beaulieu will also be exposed, and that he's not in the same level, but he has a lot of potential - he's just too much of a party guy (MTL is the worst for that). A change of scenery for him too could change his game completely. People really thought he would do wonders with Weber before this season started. Then he started partying again... Luckily his value won't be much higher when he goes RFA. He's a good gamble for you guys in my opinion, and you save on cap $ all in all.

Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree about some stuff. I don't value the chance of Patches reviving the Getz line more than I value having Rakell for the next 6 years and him being the best young forward we have who might have a chance to replace one of the twins in the future.

As for Fowler, don't see our GM trading him when Lindholm took that contract so that the team could keep the D core together. I think Fowler ends up staying with us and Vats gets traded prior to the expansion draft. And for Beaulieu, we just don't need him on this team now or in the future. We have Theo, Larsson, and Montour all fighting for a spot on the roster, so no reason to make a trade for a guy who is just going to roadblock those guys.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

agreed. This is what sets McKenzie apart from him IMO. I laugh when people say the two are close.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
So many terrible posts in here it is unbelievable. Pacioretty has had 191 points the last 3 seasons while playing 235 games. People are just going to give up on him because he has 15 points in 23 games this season? He has played most of his time with Gallagher (terrible cold streak), Shaw (3rd line grinder) and Plekanec (Can't generate anything anymore). One hot streak and everyone will love him again.

If they were serious about moving Pacioretty, I'd like to see him paired with Galchenyuk and Radulov first. I know it wouldn't be ideal for our other lines (poor Gallagher lol), and that Pacioretty & Galchenyuk are very different players, but if it's what it took to shut everyone up & value him accordingly, then so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad