Over/under 50 wins

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm expecting regression this year. Team doesn't work and the writing is on the wall for this core. This is a hockey club for talented players and not a team. I think we stumble out of the gate (we have the last two years) but fail to get it on track in November and Keefe fired early December. Can't see an interim coach putting the genie back in the bottle either.

Our net is shoestrings and hope, our D really isn't any good at all, certainly not compared to 2020-2021. Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Bogosian and Dermott. I know that OP thinks Holl is the worst player to have ever played, but he was quite good paired with Muzzin in 20-21. Bertuzzi is an upgrade on Bunting but not on Hyman, JT is much worse than he was a few years ago, and that means we're pinning all of our hopes on Knies or Domi for this top6 to hold up to yesteryear's. Possible, but hardly a slam dunk.

Season hinges entirely on goaltending. If Samsonov can be a 1A, then I think 47 wins. If he struggles I think we spiral for 38 and are sellers at the deadline.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I think he understood the question perfectly and his point is that hardly anybody cares about how many regular season wins we get.

Our history is chalk full of regular season wins and playoff losses, has that made you happy? Will another year of the season bring you more happiness? Do you think Boston fans are happy with the way last season went for them?

For most of us, playoff wins are what matters. I hope that helps.
Reducing down wether or not a hobby is worthwhile based solely post season success seems like a sure fire way to turn what should be a fun hobby to follow during a considerably long stretch of the calendar year and turns into a masochistic experience devoid of any benefit or positive experiences.
Of course we all want our team to see the ultimate success, but only 1 team out of 32 wins on a yearly basis and life is nothing but the journey and not just the end destination.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I'm expecting regression this year. Team doesn't work and the writing is on the wall for this core. This is a hockey club for talented players and not a team. I think we stumble out of the gate (we have the last two years) but fail to get it on track in November and Keefe fired early December. Can't see an interim coach putting the genie back in the bottle either.

Our net is shoestrings and hope, our D really isn't any good at all, certainly not compared to 2020-2021. Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Bogosian and Dermott. I know that OP thinks Holl is the worst player to have ever played, but he was quite good paired with Muzzin in 20-21. Bertuzzi is an upgrade on Bunting but not on Hyman, JT is much worse than he was a few years ago, and that means we're pinning all of our hopes on Knies or Domi for this top6 to hold up to yesteryear's. Possible, but hardly a slam dunk.

Season hinges entirely on goaltending. If Samsonov can be a 1A, then I think 47 wins. If he struggles I think we spiral for 38 and are sellers at the deadline.
They’re a top 7 defensive team since Keefe took over. With a revolving door of goalies, depth D and forwards in that time.
0 to think that will change

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Reducing down wether or not a hobby is worthwhile based solely post season success seems like a sure fire way to turn what should be a fun hobby to follow during a considerably long stretch of the calendar year and turns into a masochistic experience devoid of any benefit or positive experiences.
Of course we all want our team to see the ultimate success, but only 1 team out of 32 wins on a yearly basis and life is nothing but the journey and not just the end destination.
It's not a question of "worthwhile" or not.

After so many years of embarrassing playoff failures, the regular season becomes a bit more meaningless with each passing year. Losing is acceptable, losing the way we've done all too often is just embarrassing. That's the way I feel anyway, if it doesn't bother you then by all means enjoy.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
They could go 82-0 next year and most fans wouldn't care.

The only thing anyone is interested in is if they can win 16 games in one postseason.

Hard to believe just a few short years ago I had such high hopes for this team. How did it ever get like this? Once again I feel like I've been put in a position where I have to cheer for them to lose.

It's the only way I see them moving forward towards winning.

Not one to disappoint their fans, the Leafs continue to do exactly that: lose. A team united in single purpose. That of flopping in the playoffs every year.

Apathy is already setting in among fans again.

Every year more and more people are jumping off the bandwagon. Soon enough only a few hardcore fans will remain who care. At this point there's nothing left to look forward to get excited about.

And if there is nothing to get excited about, there is nothing to care about.
With the combination of Letting Holl and Kerfoot walk, plus, Adding Bertuzzi AND Domi sucked me back in. I think they’ve gotten better, at least on paper come playoff time. I also think that adding Reaves will make the opposition think twice about running the big 4 upfront. But, I still think that they need to add another top 4 guy. Having 1 of Brodie, Gino and Lilly being in the top 4 doesn’t sit well with me. But, they should be MUCH tougher to play against come April next year. Which is encouraging.

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
With the combination of Letting Holl and Kerfoot walk, plus, Adding Bertuzzi AND Domi sucked me back in. I think they’ve gotten better, at least on paper come playoff time. I also think that adding Reaves will make the opposition think twice about running the big 4 upfront. But, I still think that they need to add another top 4 guy. Having 1 of Brodie, Gino and Lilly being in the top 4 doesn’t sit well with me. But, they should be MUCH tougher to play against come April next year. Which is encouraging.
D core is not good enough for the playoffs. If the goal is to get in then yeah it's fine, you're not going deep with that group as it is.

Reactions: mikeyz

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd expect they'll end up with a similar record to last season. Teams like the Sabres may be a bit better, but the Bruins will be worse as likely Tampa.

A question will be what happens with Nylander. If he's traded for a futures package that includes say a 3rd liner, the team has the potential for a lesser record

Reactions: Nylanderthal

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
D core is not good enough for the playoffs. If the goal is to get in then yeah it's fine, you're not going deep with that group as it is.
Exactly. And this is why I didn't like the Klingberg signing. I would have much rather them signing Gudas. They both got the same money but Gudas got two more years. Besides, with the firepower that the Leafs have up-front, Klingberg was such an unnecessary signing. Unless Keefe does a complete 180 when it comes to his PP setup last year.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I think if healthy should be over 50 if major injuries could see 40s. As red wings got better and Sabres putting up better numbers than last season.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
The Leafs have not won a cup in 56 years so yes of course we are masochists . Lol

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
They’re a top 7 defensive team since Keefe took over. With a revolving door of goalies, depth D and forwards in that time.
0 to think that will change
Brodie and Giordano were both completely fried come playoff time. Gio isn't really in the plans in a big way this year and was huge for us last year. I expect Brodie to bounce back quite a bit, but in no way do I think a Rielly-Brodie, McCabe-Klingberg top4 is setting us up for success. Regardless of the D pairings, our defensive strength was from the two way play of our forwards, and the bulk of my prediction is that the core boys are going to have a down year this year.

Ovi's Caps had a 42 win season in 11-12 and missed the playoffs outright with 38 wins in 13-14. We aren't going to have 105p+ seasons every year, there will be down years and I think this is one as rolling it back yet again is a stale message.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Jake Muzzin and Jake Muzzin ALONE made that pair, Muzzin carry Holl

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Jake Muzzin and Jake Muzzin ALONE made that pair, Muzzin carry Holl
Yes.

Which is why our d-core with no Muzzin and no replacement is a pretender to the time when we did have a guy who was so freaking good that he made Holl look passable. Muzzin was an elite #2 who could carry a pairing and we don't have that any more. Our D this year is completely mediocre, barring a miracle season from someone.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Exactly. And this is why I didn't like the Klingberg signing. I would have much rather them signing Gudas. They both got the same money but Gudas got two more years. Besides, with the firepower that the Leafs have up-front, Klingberg was such an unnecessary signing. Unless Keefe does a complete 180 when it comes to his PP setup last year.
Oh I believe Klingberg is gonna have a few threads devoted to him here on HFboards lol

1689259934961235.gif

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Thanks for the response.

I'm the most optimistic about Bertuzzi than I have been for a free agent signing in years.

There is no reason the Leafs won't replicate their regular season success of the last few years. Fifty wins, fifty five wins, forty five wins, something like that. It doesn't really matter whether they get a hundred points or a hundred and twenty points. This team has way too much talent to miss the playoffs.

It's what they do when they get there.

Uncle Slick

Mar 1, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Under. And with enough points to earn one of those coveted playoff spots.

Keefe still running the bench and the roster still reflects holes with passengers that create those "late starts" and MIA performances vs bottom feeders.
G & D depth remain massive, ifs!
The way the roster has been constructed has demonstrated little ability or desire to compete without the puck which is a big part of playoff success. Until that changes, a Lord Stanley engraving date remains a challenge.

Bertuzzi, Domi and Knies have potential to influence that change, "if", . . .

Today's roster is still more suited to regular season success vs playoff; which i believe Treliving will continue to adjust in leading up to game #1 and as season progresses.

But only "if" . . .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad