Proposal: Out Of Zait, Out Of Bind: BUF + OTT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To Buffalo: Zaitsev. T.B.'s 2022 2nd

To Ottawa: Okposo

Sabres have just one RD under contract for next season, so they get a warm body who can fill that position over the next few years while the team develops better long term options. They also pick up a late 2nd rd pick in 2022

Senators get a warm body to play RW in their bottom 6 while also making room for Brannstrom in the lineup. Despite having the higher cap hit, Okposo earns half a million less in real dollars than Zaitsev each of the next 2 seasons

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
1. Zaitsev wears an "A" for Ottawa and the coach loves him regardless of how well or poorly he plays.

2. Ottawa is trying to improve center (injuries), not wing.

3. Brannstrom is a LHD. He has played RHD before, but hasn't in the last two years. The coach and management will not be playing him at RHD and they ahve been emphatic on this point. Further, we have weaker RHD depth behind Ziatsev/Zub than we do at wing.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Sabres have just one RD under contract for next season, so they get a warm body who can fill that position over the next few years while the team develops better long term options. They also pick up a late 2nd rd pick in 2022

Senators get a warm body to play RW in their bottom 6 while also making room for Brannstrom in the lineup. Despite having the higher cap hit, Okposo earns half a million less in real dollars than Zaitsev each of the next 2 seasons

No okposo is in a leadership role with the sabres and has an important role. Not worth a late 2nd and taking on zaitsev

Reactions: Chainshot

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
1. Zaitsev wears an "A" for Ottawa and the coach loves him regardless of how well or poorly he plays.

3. Brannstrom is a LHD. He has played RHD before, but hasn't in the last two years. The coach and management will not be playing him at RHD and they ahve been emphatic on this point. Further, we have weaker RHD depth behind Ziatsev/Zub than we do at wing.

That's fine, but which center can Ottawa get for Zaitsev?

If I'm Ottawa and I have a chance to clear the 3rd year of Zaitsev's cap hit off the books, I'm doing so without hesitation since that's when the new contracts of Stutzle, Pinto, and possibly Zub and Brown will be kicking in

Murray and Zaitsev are currently set to take up nearly 11 million in cap space fr Ottawa in 2024... that doesn't seem ideal for a young team that is hoping to have emerged as contenders by then

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
That's fine, but which center can Ottawa get for Zaitsev?

If I'm Ottawa and I have a chance to clear the 3rd year of Zaitsev's cap hit off the books, I'm doing so without hesitation since that's when the new contracts of Stutzle, Pinto, and possibly Zub and Brown will be kicking in

Murray and Zaitsev are currently set to take up nearly 11 million in cap space fr Ottawa in 2024... that doesn't seem ideal for a young team that is hoping to have emerged as contenders by then

You obviously don't know much about Ottawa's situation if you keep pushing these silly trades.

We have no depth to trade a good, experienced defenseman for a center. Why are we trading Zaitsev? We have no one better to take those minutes. He's part of the leadership core. He plays 20+ minutes a night against the hardest competition. Ottawa is spending like....55M in salaries this season. We have no reason to move Zaitsev, especially for an expensive Okposo.

We haven't made the playoffs in three years. Why would we worry if he's a bit overpaid in 3 years? We have like....5000 more important things to worry about. Maybe in two more years we can worry about Zaitsev's contract, it is a complete non-issue right now.

Murray has played like 25 games. When the team was good, so was Murray, how about we give him a season before we write him off?

Ottawa has 41-47M+ in cap space in 2022 depending on what we do with White. Chabot, Murray, Zaitsev, Tkachuk, and Batherson will be signed. Pinto has 8 NHL points . Why are we worried what he'll get?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
You obviously don't know much about Ottawa's situation if you keep pushing these silly trades.

We have no depth to trade a good, experienced defenseman for a center. Why are we trading Zaitsev? We have no one better to take those minutes. He's part of the leadership core. He plays 20+ minutes a night against the hardest competition. Ottawa is spending like....55M in salaries this season. We have no reason to move Zaitsev, especially for an expensive Okposo.

We haven't made the playoffs in three years. Why would we worry if he's a bit overpaid in 3 years? We have like....5000 more important things to worry about. Maybe in two more years we can worry about Zaitsev's contract, it is a complete non-issue right now.

Murray has played like 25 games. When the team was good, so was Murray, how about we give him a season before we write him off?

Ottawa has 41-47M+ in cap space in 2022 depending on what we do with White. Chabot, Murray, Zaitsev, Tkachuk, and Batherson will be signed. Pinto has 8 NHL points . Why are we worried what he'll get?

I think you'd get some push back on Zaitsev being "good" if you opened that topic up for discussion...

I answered why they're trading Zaitsev in the OP, if I was mistaken about Brannstrom playing RD, then that obviously changes the rationale behind the proposal

Because a prudent GM is always looking towards the future

You're gonna have to give him 3 seasons

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The logic behind the trade proposal doesn't even work. Zaitsev plays the right side and Brannstrom plays the left side. Zaitsev is not blocking Brannstrom from playing.

It seems my source was mistaken...

Brannstrom is listed as a RD on CapFriendly... not even a RD/LD like Mete... just a regular ol' RD

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

buffalo doesn’t need thatPOS

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The Sabres are 3-0... you don't ruin that type of chemistry.

The sens are 2-1 and in a semi-playoff/semi-develop year. They like Zaitsev and I don't see why they trade him for Okopose. Zaitsev isn't elite but hes a fine 4/5D who plays a tough role on a Sens team with little NHL D who can play defensive minutes (they have prospects but those guys are a year or two from the NHL).

After this season Zaitsev only has 2 years at 4.5M. I think the Sens keep him for atleast this year and most likely next to let Sanderson + whoever of Thomson/Branstromm(if still in the Org)/Docker a vet to work with/learn from.

Moving his contract with 1 or 2 years won't require taking back a dump and could be moved for considerably less

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast

Chris Tierney’s incoming 82 goal season should help with that.

Something else to consider in Zaitsev trade proposals: he waived his NTC to come from Toronto to Ottawa for DJ Smith. I just can’t see them doing him dirty and shipping him out of town unless 3 other RD play him out of the lineup or the team acquires someone better. He also still has the 10 team NTC.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Buffalo is almost out of Okposo's contract. they only owe him 6M over the final two years, all salary no signing bonus. The a late 2nd round pick isn't going to justify the extra 7.5M cash they'd have to pay out Zaitsev. They (hopefully) will be spending closer to the cap two years from now, no need to tack on a dead 4.5M

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Sabres have finally woken (forced by injuries) to reality that Dahlin may be better on his offside where he played his whole junior career mostly.

Zaitsev is a train wreck of a contract. Okposo kind of is too but he's woken up this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad