HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The Oilers don't have 3 weeks to right the ship, they need to go 40-20-11 just to get into a wildcard spot at this point. That's how deep the hole is already.

A coach change might spark some asses on the team, but it won't fix their goaltending.

Thry were 50-23 last year, which is a higher win% than 40-20. If they right the ship, they could easily go higher than 40-20.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Giving up a 1st+ to potentially upgrade a backup makes no sense
It does when you have no cap space, you get rid of a boat anchor contract, other pieces are included at a price you can actually afford and those picks are likely to be bottom third picks.

Moreover, they’re on the verge of falling out of the playoffs. People will lose their jobs if they don’t turnaround fast.

They don’t have the luxury of time or cap space. I’m not sure what else they could possibly do that would help them more than a deal like this would. Nobody is taking Darnell Nurse.

They need a goalie who’s ‘good enough’… this would provide it for them. They’re not going to get a top netminder.

Reactions: Miller Time

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I get where you’re coming from but consider the following.

1. Edmonton would want to make a trade now.

2. Monahan is hot and for the first time in forever… healthy. That might not be the case at the deadline.

3. Two firsts would likely be low firsts but they’d have a positive impact on this Club for years.

I think if this comes up you have to take it.

2 low firsts is not enough.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It does when you have no cap space, you get rid of a boat anchor contract, other pieces are included at a price you can actually afford and those picks are likely to be bottom third picks.

Moreover, they’re on the verge of falling out of the playoffs. People will lose their jobs if they don’t turnaround fast.

They don’t have the luxury of time or cap space. I’m not sure what else they could possibly do that would help them more than a deal like this would. Nobody is taking Darnell Nurse.
Allen's contract isn't good either, he's got another year at 3.5. Monetembeault would make more sense.

If they don't have the luxury of time, they will spend more to get a better goalie which wouldn't be that hard.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Allen's contract isn't good either, he's got another year at 3.5. Monetembeault would make more sense.

If they don't have the luxury of time, they will spend more to get a better goalie which wouldn't be that hard.
If it wasn't that hard, they'd have gone it by now.

Reactions: morhilane

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That’s fine too. Their choice.

And to be honest, I’d take Montie if I were them too. But he’s not as proven as Allen is. If they take Montie though… cost goes up.
They need the cap space to do that. How do they afford it? The team has to be willing to take Campbell’s bad contract in return. And I can’t think of any teams out there in a hurry to get rid of their stud goalie. I just don’t think it’s possible given their circumstances.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Giving up a 1st+ to potentially upgrade a backup makes no sense
It may if you the GMs job is on the line AND laws of supply & demand leave few, if any other options.

HuGO have ALL the leverage, how desperate is Holland / Oilers owner?

We will find out soon enough…unless team snaps out of it, but not sure how team defensive awareness can be instilled overnight …

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It may if you the GMs job is on the line AND laws of supply & demand leave few, if any other options.

HuGO have ALL the leverage, how desperate is Holland / Oilers owner?

We will find out soon enough…unless team snaps out of it, but not sure how team defensive awareness can be instilled overnight …
That's just wishful thinking. If they are going to get help, they will add way more to get a way better goalie than Allen.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
You'd need Holloway with the 2 1sts but I'd also want Beau Akey.

2 x 1st + Campbell + Holloway + Akey

For Allen or Montembeault, Monahan and Kovacevic.
How about Gallagher and Monty for Campbell + small cap dump + something nice ?

Gallagher is a scoring machine and a great leader! Do it Oilers!

• Haha
Reactions: Paddyjack

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
While I'd definitely rather have KK over Dvorak, the other three (especially Hughes) are just on a different level. Shit for brains Timmins drafts by need because we didn't have any centers but ignores the fact that our LHD depth at the time was Mete-Alzner-Benn when we could have a legit superstar on the team right now. Hopefully Hutson can become a Hughes like player.
I think we can drop the draftiny by need thing, KKs a great player and Timmins is vindicated.
AM34 could go 82 in 82 and still nobody would be scared of him in the post season:laugh::laugh:
If hes not facing Price hes been dangerous. Not sure hes to blame, its mostly that people expect him to be Mcdavid.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That's just wishful thinking. If they are going to get help, they will add way more to get a way better goalie than Allen.
There are NO better goalies available. There are very few good goalies in the NHL. Boston and Nashville maybe the only 2 that have 2 decent goaltenders. Probably need 3 first round picks or equivalent to interest them.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think we can drop the draftiny by need thing, KKs a great player and Timmins is vindicated.
Until he actually puts up PPG for a whole season he isn’t. When if he’s a 60pt center that’s pretty shitty for a 3rd OA pick when you got a PPG power forward and a Norris candidate there.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Deadmonton lmao let them implode and try to pry away their pieces when they are forced to rebuild/retool.

Go Sharks Go!!!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wasn't there a report a few days ago saying Oilers and Kings were two teams who had expressed interest in Allen in the off-season? Wouldn't surprise me if there are still those conversations happening.

Reactions: Redux91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad