HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Edm has 3-weeks to start righting the ship, still early but clock definitely is ticking.

If they’re double digits out by US Thanksgiving, it’ll be hard to overcome, even in a weaker Western Conf

Reactions: stanley25

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
And cup favorites rarely start the year 2-8-1
All that means is the coach will be the first casualty, while GM looks to buy time hoping for a rebound reaction from the team - the cost of buying this early in the season is astronomical & GMs won’t pay asking price

Having said all that, is there some type of deal (w picks) to be had w Primeau going to Edm and Holloway heading to Habs?

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Edm has 3-weeks to start righting the ship, still early but clock definitely is ticking.

If they’re double digits out by US Thanksgiving, it’ll be hard to overcome, even in a weaker Western Conf
The Oilers don't have 3 weeks to right the ship, they need to go 40-20-11 just to get into a wildcard spot at this point. That's how deep the hole is already.

A coach change might spark some asses on the team, but it won't fix their goaltending.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
All that means is the coach will be the first casualty, while GM looks to buy time hoping for a rebound reaction from the team - the cost of buying this early in the season is astronomical & GMs won’t pay asking price

Having said all that, is there some type of deal (w picks) to be had w Primeau going to Edm and Holloway heading to Habs?

Can't see them wanting Primeau, and certainly not paying a premium for him... I think if they do make a move at G it will be for a player they feel can step in and help them win now.

Allen & Monty are about as good as it gets for available 1b goalies, and the other names floating around mostly have bigger cap hits to try and work around and/or would cost a lot more to land.

Habs don't have to budge on their asking price, so it will come down to how desperate Holland gets... Not sure that he can afford to wait much longer

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Can't see them wanting Primeau, and certainly not paying a premium for him... I think if they do make a move at G it will be for a player they feel can step in and help them win now.

Allen & Monty are about as good as it gets for available 1b goalies, and the other names floating around mostly have bigger cap hits to try and work around and/or would cost a lot more to land.

Habs don't have to budge on their asking price, so it will come down to how desperate Holland gets... Not sure that he can afford to wait much longer
We could help Edmonton across the board. Allen, Monahan, help on D for cheap. And they could dump a bad contract on us too. But I’d want multiple firsts if we’re helping them with their cap problems.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Oilers don't have 3 weeks to right the ship, they need to go 40-20-11 just to get into a wildcard spot at this point. That's how deep the hole is already.

A coach change might spark some asses on the team, but it won't fix their goaltending.
Avs, Stars , Wild, VGK, Edm, Sea all had 100pts +, Jets were only playoff team below @ 95pts

Western Conf has much more parity this season, that point distribution will manifest itself. SJS are the only team that’s in a bottom feeding world of their own

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
We could help Edmonton across the board. Allen, Monahan, help on D for cheap. And they could dump a bad contract on us too. But I’d want multiple firsts if we’re helping them with their cap problems.

Allen, Money and Kovacevic would be immediate upgrades to all three areas of the team. It’ll leave them with cap also if they send a bad contract back. However, like you said, I’d want a haul for that.

Reactions: Miller Time

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I can see Holland bringing Quenneville in as head coach, if Edm doesn’t turn it around in the next 2-weeks

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Allen, Money and Kovacevic would be immediate upgrades to all three areas of the team. It’ll leave them with cap also if they send a bad contract back. However, like you said, I’d want a haul for that.
Those three players would be 1.5 more in cap space than Campbell is. They could probably make it work if we took Campbell back. They’d likely make the playoffs and would have a much better shot at a cup. I’d want at least two firsts.

Reactions: Andy

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If Bruins can draft/develop Poitras, Lysell, and Lohrei from 2020-2022 with their draft capital and they all end up core players...Habs better get some serious players from those years. No excuses...

Reactions: Gravity and Tyson

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
EdmontonOilers.jpg

Reactions: Deebs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Allen is better than Campbell, but he’s not going to help them much. Kovacevic would be another Kulak type player for them. If they give up a haul, it will be for way better players.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Allen is better than Campbell, but he’s not going to help them much. Kovacevic would be another Kulak type player for them. If they give up a haul, it will be for way better players.
Edm can’t afford “way better players” within their cap, that’s their dichotomy & Campbell’s $5M isn’t enough to offset the space needed to do so

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I wouldn’t trade Monahan to the Oilers, at least not yet.

With Dach out, having Monahan for most of the year is important to development of Newhook, Slaf, and to an extent, Suzuki and Caufield.

Getting rid of Monahan right now makes the habs so damn weak down the middle and I fear it will just put pressure on Suzuki, put Newhook back at centre where he does not belong and throw the development path completely off track.

Monahan should be a deadline move.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I can see Holland bringing Quenneville in as head coach, if Edm doesn’t turn it around in the next 2-weeks
Yeah, that’s what a floundering team needs, the relentless local and national media to chastise them even more.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Quenneville hasn't been reinstated by Bettman yet and with the new lawsuit against the Blackhawks I think Bettman will want to stay away from the pr issue that would cause.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Quenneville hasn't been reinstated by Bettman yet and with the new lawsuit against the Blackhawks I think Bettman will want to stay away from the pr issue that would cause.
Stanley & Quenneville did speak to the GMs just last month after l’affaire Babcock

Both will be reinstated…. question of appropriate timing not IF

Reactions: Habs10Habs

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Stanley & Quenneville did speak to the GMs just last month after l’affaire Babcock

Both will be reinstated…. question of appropriate timing not IF
They met with the GMs in September but Bettman still hasn't given the clearance they can be hired. With the new lawsuit I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Edm can’t afford “way better players” within their cap, that’s their dichotomy & Campbell’s $5M isn’t enough to offset the space needed to do so
Exactly. They’re pretty screwed. Nobody is going to take Nurse for example.

Taking Campbell off their hands is huge for them. They need good cheap players coming back.

It’s one thing to give up players, it’s a whole other thing to take Campbell’s bad contract. If we do both? That definitely warrants two firsts.

I’m not sure how many teams in the league would be able to make a deal like this with them.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wouldn’t trade Monahan to the Oilers, at least not yet.

With Dach out, having Monahan for most of the year is important to development of Newhook, Slaf, and to an extent, Suzuki and Caufield.

Getting rid of Monahan right now makes the habs so damn weak down the middle and I fear it will just put pressure on Suzuki, put Newhook back at centre where he does not belong and throw the development path completely off track.

Monahan should be a deadline move.
I get where you’re coming from but consider the following.

1. Edmonton would want to make a trade now.

2. Monahan is hot and for the first time in forever… healthy. That might not be the case at the deadline.

3. Two firsts would likely be low firsts but they’d have a positive impact on this Club for years.

I think if this comes up you have to take it.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
While I'd definitely rather have KK over Dvorak, the other three (especially Hughes) are just on a different level. Shit for brains Timmins drafts by need because we didn't have any centers but ignores the fact that our LHD depth at the time was Mete-Alzner-Benn when we could have a legit superstar on the team right now. Hopefully Hutson can become a Hughes like player.

Only GMs draft for need, it's their prerogative, not the head scout's. Head scouts try to pick the best out of the need constraint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad