HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The Sharks have amazing fans they still show up. Place was rocking back in the days but they have been brutal for a while now.

Oilers situation was funny but now it's kinda disturbing. Yikes

@OldCraig71

SharksFans-632x356.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The problem with the Oilers is that they have several gaps, little cap space, and not many quality assets.

I guess you could swap Draisaitl for an elite defensemen, but I don't think that is enough. There offensive depth is quite thin on paper.

They're just in such an awkward spot. They are a good example of how not being proactive actually hurts your team. You have two generational talents, there is no reason to be sitting on all your first round picks and top prospects.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
If the Oilers could have picked almost anyone else other than Poolparty in 2016, or get more out of a Warren Foegele their story might not be so tragic. Such is life, and all that but I genuinely believe Poolparty is the worst player in hockey history.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I just can't believe how unable the Toronto Maple Leafs are to find the leadership necessary to take them over the top. Toronto's team is much better top to bottom than Edmonton, but Edmonton's the team that has gone further in the playoffs. A lot of that is Toronto just rolling over and dying.
Character

If the Oilers could have picked almost anyone else other than Poolparty in 2016, or get more out of a Warren Foegele their story might not be so tragic. Such is life, and all that but I genuinely believe Poolparty is the worst player in hockey history.
Some had him rated higher than Laine

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The problem with the Oilers is that they have several gaps, little cap space, and not many quality assets.

I guess you could swap Draisaitl for an elite defensemen, but I don't think that is enough. There offensive depth is quite thin on paper.

They're just in such an awkward spot. They are a good example of how not being proactive actually hurts your team. You have two generational talents, there is no reason to be sitting on all your first round picks and top prospects.

This is also a good point, instead of using their assets to trade for pieces.. they just picked busts.

Reactions: Tyson

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

They should unload bad contracts and fill in the lineup. Use picks as currency and go for it. I’ve said this repeatedly. They have to try to win now. Trade your picks.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The Oilers are really a tragic story. 2 absolutely unbelievable players, and f*** all else.
They had their best chance the year they acquired almost-retired Duncan Keith, who was acquired more for his leadership.

Leafs and Oilers have a similar problem where their leadership core are super talented, but poor leaders.
On top of management who don't see goaltending, balanced squad and defense as important.

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Character

Some had him rated higher than Laine
I did. He was so dominant when his tools allowed him to do what he could. In the NHL, physical tools dont do much for you.

I really thought he was a slam dunk first liner, like Laine and Matthews.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
This is also a good point, instead of using their assets to trade for pieces.. they just picked busts.
The picks used to select Puljarjvi (4th OA), Bouchard (10th OA), and Broberg (8th OA) should have been used to to acquire quality D men.

Crosby and Malkin carried an offense for almost two decades. McDavid and Draisaitl would have as well. Completely foolish to not push hard for talent on the back end.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The picks used to select Puljarjvi (4th OA), Bouchard (10th OA), and Broberg (8th OA) should have been used to to acquire quality D men.

Crosby and Malkin carried an offense for almost two decades. McDavid and Draisaitl would have as well. Completely foolish to not push hard for talent on the back end.

They all suck except Bouchard but Bouchard sucks in his own end.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Eh, the Pens didnt have much talent at D and G either. Dumoulin, Orpiks, Gonchar and Marino are probably the 4 best ones after Letang... thats over almost 20 years.

I think Sid and Malkin were just flat out better than Mcdavid and Drai and missed the elusive 1D. Id say forwards were similar, maybe a bit better on Pe s with Kessel and Guentzel later on.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Eh, the Pens didnt have much talent at D and G either. Dumoulin, Orpiks, Gonchar and Marino are probably the 4 best ones.

I think Sid and Malkin were just flat out better than Mcdavid and Drai.
Better 2-ways players and probably better leaders too.

Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad