HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
FB_IMG_1699231151347.jpg

Might have been posted already

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't think they win anything with the current core, they don't have the extra gear required for playoff hockey, subtracting JT will help but they need to win show improvement now but I don't see it happening.
Treliving was rumored to have made a significant offer for Anderson while Cgy GM & in theory Leafs could use an Anderson type veteran player with proven playoff history of success… I do wonder if HuGo could manage a Knies for Anderson swap near deadline?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Even if you’re truly not winning anything?

Because the Habs didn’t win a damn thing using PD and KK the way the did. All they did was inflate the value of PDs eventual contract that they ultimately didn’t want to pay.

Once you commit to graduating an 18 year old, you have to play him and play him a lot.
Well not defending the old management, but in the 2 years you mentioned, we made the playoffs once, and went to the Cup Finals another. Which for us, it's a feature in itself. So we keep hearing about hindsight....that's an analysis based on hindsight. I mean...imagine we win the Cup.....personnally, I still believe KK would have been used wrong....but Danault's play helped us win.

KK should not have been in the NHL. Once he was, he should have been a permanent fixture on a 3rd and 4th line. With some time on the PP. So you gradually bring him in. Danault leaves....you tell KK that you have confidence he does the job. And he does. Though that remains to be seen 'cause we don't know who his wingers would have been.

Unless you are an exceptional, you either don't start at 18. Or you don't play regularly. I see no problem being slowly brought up. Problem with KK is that the mixed messages between...you are good enough to start in the NHL at 18....but...you are bad enough to not be dressed. Clearly the communication wasn't good. And we paid the price. And frankly, while KK will now start to progress....chances are he misread his own talent as he underrated his game and will be the most underpaid player in the NHL...lol

Reactions: dgeezus and Toene

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well not defending the old management, but in the 2 years you mentioned, we made the playoffs once, and went to the Cup Finals another. Which for us, it's a feature in itself. So we keep hearing about hindsight....that's an analysis based on hindsight. I mean...imagine we win the Cup.....personnally, I still believe KK would have been used wrong....but Danault's play helped us win.
It's more like 4 years and some of those years we missed the playoffs, had a magical run to the Stanley Cup, how much of that is directly attributable to how they used Danault?

Hell the Cup run, KK got shuffled around yet found a way to score big goals. They even broke up Danault’s line by healthy scratching Tatar.

KK should not have been in the NHL. Once he was, he should have been a permanent fixture on a 3rd and 4th line. With some time on the PP. So you gradually bring him in. Danault leaves....you tell KK that you have confidence he does the job. And he does. Though that remains to be seen 'cause we don't know who his wingers would have been.

Unless you are an exceptional, you either don't start at 18. Or you don't play regularly. I see no problem being slowly brought up. Problem with KK is that the mixed messages between...you are good enough to start in the NHL at 18....but...you are bad enough to not be dressed. Clearly the communication wasn't good. And we paid the price. And frankly, while KK will now start to progress....chances are he misread his own talent as he underrated his game and will be the most underpaid player in the NHL...lol
This.

It was terrible asset management and it ultimately cost them both players.

Reactions: Tyson

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I think the Leafs might get better in two years when Tavares comes off the books.
Yeah you don't get it
They need to re-sign Nylander at 10+ Mill now tho
They're already in trouble to keep one of Nylander or Marner before they have to worry about Tavares
And you dont get better by losing PPG players. Much as I dislike Tavares anyway

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
The cap is not moving quickly enough to match player salary requests. This might be by design which forces team to not be able to sign all their talented players, who then can go to other teams.

The Leafs/Oilers formula of having 4 elite players and jank down the roster is obviously not working. Imo it's best to have one elite player and the rest spread out with solid, but not elite. The only other way this might work is if you happen to more elite players on RFA deals. But that only happens when tanking for several years and only for a very short window (Tampa comes to mind).

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The cap is not moving quickly enough to match player salary requests. This might be by design which forces team to not be able to sign all their talented players, who then can go to other teams.

The Leafs/Oilers formula of having 4 elite players and jank down the roster is obviously not working. Imo it's best to have one elite player and the rest spread out with solid, but not elite. The only other way this might work is if you happen to more elite players on RFA deals. But that only happens when tanking for several years and only for a very short window (Tampa comes to mind).

It w

Honestly in the case of the Leafs I think it's that their core four are simply not very good.

Matthews is paid like a top-1 player in the league, he's nowhere close v

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
The Leafs/Oilers formula of having 4 elite players and jank down the roster is obviously not working.
Oilers aren’t paying Draisaitl an elite player salary and don’t have 2 other players in that category. They do have a lot of jank and a massively overpaid Darnell Nurse, courtesy of former superstar agent Kent Hughes.

• Haha
Reactions: Toene

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The Oilers and Leafs suffered unduly by the flat cap.

I wish them nothing but misery but we cannot afford to laugh at them when we haven’t been excited by an 80pt player on the Habs in a very long time.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The Oilers are really a tragic story. 2 absolutely unbelievable players, and f*** all else.

Yep, getting elite forwards is only part of the puzzle.. you sure as hell want them, but you can't only have them.

The Oilers learned that overpaying mediocre players for production buoyed by those talents, and overpaying bad goalies and defenseman, and bit players, really hurts you.

The Leafs are a similar story, they have more depth up front by having 4 star talents vs. the 2 generational scorers, but their downfall is that those 4 players have no balls.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yep, getting elite forwards is only part of the puzzle.. you sure as hell want them, but you can't only have them.

The Oilers learned that overpaying mediocre players for production buoyed by those talents, and overpaying bad goalies and defenseman, and bit players, really hurts you.

The Leafs are a similar story, they have more depth up front by having 4 star talents vs. the 2 generational scorers, but their downfall is that those 4 players have no balls.
When it comes to Toronto it has become obvious year after year that their "magnificent 4" simply can't get it done.
Keep bringing in scrubs to try and make it work year after year and it fails miserably.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I just can't believe how unable the Toronto Maple Leafs are to find the leadership necessary to take them over the top. Toronto's team is much better top to bottom than Edmonton, but Edmonton's the team that has gone further in the playoffs. A lot of that is Toronto just rolling over and dying.

Reactions: WeThreeKings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad