HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Great trade Isles. Why Hawks? lol. Why now?

Habs have excess picks and redundant assets, they could have easily upgraded their 26th for that Isles 18th.

Maybe Habs can make a pitch for one of those 11-17 picks at the draft.

Seems that Hawks paid too much just to move up two slots — maybe they anticipate a drop off at Pick 20 as per their rankings but that scenario doesn’t account for droppers. Advantage Isles.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
How can the Stars leave McDavid so wide open in front of their G?

Stars have weak defensive coverage which Edm needs to keep taking advantage of
It's a fast game and prior to the puck moving up the ice,there was an entanglement and coverage was not possible at the most crucial time.

You can see how it unfolded.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Habs have excess picks and redundant assets, they could have easily upgraded their 26th for that Isles 18th.

Maybe Habs can make a pitch for one of those 11-17 picks at the draft.

Seems that Hawks paid too much just to move up two slots — maybe they anticipate a drop off at Pick 20 as per their rankings but that scenario doesn’t account for droppers. Advantage Isles.
The Isles were probably not interested in going from 18 to 26. I'm almost certain KH will try to improve the Jets pick.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

As long as Montreal has cap space, they won't buy out Gallagher. We'll see what Guhle & Slafkovsky get next year, but we have $13m coming off the books in Dvorak, Armia, Savard & Evans in 2025, and if we can move Price that's another $10.5m.

The cap will probably be $90m next season, too. There's no reason for it.

Carolina, Edmonton, Vancouver & Colorado all have cap issues even with the rising cap.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Chicago did that to move up 2 spots in 1st round, and 4 spots in 2nd. f***, I wanted Montreal to do something like that with Winnipeg's & Colorado's picks.

Weird that it's happening now, though.
Maybe because the Habs and others have been aggressively inquiring about moving up?

This anomaly of a wide open first round might cause a bunch of uncharacteristic pre draft & draft day trades as teams...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Couldn't help but notice in my limited and sporadic viewing of the post season is that players like Armia, Anderson and yes, even Gallagher would have looked good and helped a bunch of teams more than some players have. Guess Montreal is lucky to still have them.:dunno:

There's the rub...

Having Gally, Armia, Anderson & Dvorak as 4 of your bottom 6 probably gives the Habs one of the more talented depth group of fwds in the league...

Problem is that paying them 20M$ also makes them the most expensive and limits how much there is left to pay for established top 6 talent

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
As long as Montreal has cap space, they won't buy out Gallagher. We'll see what Guhle & Slafkovsky get next year, but we have $13m coming off the books in Dvorak, Armia, Savard & Evans in 2025, and if we can move Price that's another $10.5m.

The cap will probably be $90m next season, too. There's no reason for it.

Carolina, Edmonton, Vancouver & Colorado all have cap issues even with the rising cap.
And another $4.3M of dead cap (Petry & Allen retention) - close to $17.5M not including Price

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Isles were probably not interested in going from 18 to 26. I'm almost certain KH will try to improve the Jets pick.
We don’t know what the Isles might do (are they open to trading their 20th?) but we do know that the Habs have more picks than they’ll ever be able to turn into signed players even if some signings will be staggered. There are opportunities to bundle, someone has to bite.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hawks will keep trading up so they can draft Demidov at #2 and one of the top dman with the other first rounder.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Hawks will keep trading up so they can draft Demidov at #2 and one of the top dman with the other first rounder.

I agree with this unfortunately, I think the hawks were torn between Demidov and Levshunov as they recognize their need for D in their pipeline. This allieviates some pressure allowing them to draft Demidov and will try and move up even higher than 18 to draft a D. 18 and 50 is more enticing than 20 and 54. They can also add other assets as well to move up.

Sucks for us though, I was still holding out hope for Demidov.. :(

I'm now left hoping they prefer Levshunov and say a Senneke/Eiserman instead of Demidov and a D.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
And another $4.3M of dead cap (Petry & Allen retention) - close to $17.5M not including Price

Yeah, and hopefully the bonus overages are over after this year. That's another $1m.

Potentially, $29m coming of the books. We might actually need Gallagher's contract to hit the floor. Lol

We'll see what Slaf and Guhle get, though.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah, and hopefully the bonus overages are over after this year. That's another $1m.

Potentially, $29m coming of the books. We might actually need Gallagher's contract to hit the floor. Lol

We'll see what Slaf and Guhle get, though.
Every year we keep getting closer. High picks better farm system and bad contracts expiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad