Our 2021 top16 draft list

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
So we're the 16th team to draft this year. The last time we drafted this high was in 2010 (where we drafted Tarasenko). As this is the highest we will draft in while (and there will definetly be some gems left available), imagine if you were at the helm of this years Blues draft table. Wat will your top 16 for this years draft be?

PS. Why only a top 16 and not a top 20, top 31, or whatever? As we're the 16th team to pick a prospect a top 16 guarantees that at least one prospect of your list will be available.

Owen Power (LD)
Matthew Beniers (C)
Dylan Guenther (LW/RW)
Brandt Clarke (RD)
William Eklund (C/LW)
Luke Hughes (LD)
Mason McTavish (C)
Fabian Lysell (RW)
Kent Johnson (C)
Cole Sillinger (C)
Fyodor Svechkov (C)
Simon Edvinsson (LD)
Jesper Wallstedt (G)
Carson Lambos (LD)
Chaz Lucius (C)
Corson Ceulemans (RD)

6 Defensemen, 1 goalie and 9 forwards.

HM. Matthew Coronato, Sebastian Cossa, Oskar Olausson

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
1. Luke Hughes
2. Owen Power
3. Matt Beniers
4. Dylan Guenther
5. William Eklund
6. Brandt Clarke
7. Kent Johnson
8. Jesper Wallstedt
9. Chaz Lucius
10. Mason McTavish
11. Simon Edvinsson
12. Cole Sillinger
13. Fedor Svechkov
14. Matthew Coronato
15. Sasha Pastujov
16. Xavier Bourgault

Last edited:

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Beauterham I love your list! I would have the same 16 maybe in a little different order.

Owen Power (LD)
William Eklund (C/LW)
Luke Hughes (LD)
Brandt Clarke (RD)
Dylan Guenther (LW/RW)
Kent Johnson (C)
Simon Edvinsson (LD)
Carson Lambos (LD)
Corson Ceulemans (RD)
Matthew Beniers (C)
Mason McTavish (C)
Cole Sillinger (C
Chaz Lucius (C)
Fabian Lysell (RW)
Fyodor Svechkov (C)
Jesper Wallstedt (G)

my extras would be Rosen, Chibrikov, Pinelli, Coronato.

I am hoping the Blues get an opportunity to pick Lambos or Ceulemans.

Also hoping for some wild card picks by the top 15 that will give us more options. Also hoping we don't trade the pick as mentioned 2010 was the last time we picked this low. In contrast to the Avs who have had like 7 top 10 picks & I think 5 of those in the top 5. Thanks for starting this new page on the draft!

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Simon Edvinsson (LD)
Carson Lambos (LD)
Corson Ceulemans (RD)

Let's hope one of these guys falls to the Blues. We need d-men in the pipeline.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
  1. Owen Power
  2. Brandt Clarke
  3. Dylan Guenther
  4. Matthew Beniers
  5. Simon Edvinsson
  6. Carson Lambos
  7. Luke Hughes
  8. Corson Cuelemans
  9. William Eklund
  10. Kent Johnson
  11. Mason McTavish
  12. Cole Sillinger
  13. Daniil Chayka
  14. Fedor Svechvkov
  15. Matthew Coronato
  16. Nikita Chibrikov

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Here is another list. Players taken at #16 over the last 10 draft. Just a list as some drafts are better than other etc.

2020 Kaiden Guhle D
2019 Alex Newhook C
2018 Martin Kaut RW
2017 Timothy Liljegren D
2016 Jakob Chychrun D
2015 Matt Barzal C
2014 Sonny Milano LW
2013 Nakita Zadorov D
2012 Tom Wilson RW
2011 Joel Armia RW

Reactions: FrenchBlue

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Bourgault is interesting. I wasn't intrigued enough to put him into my top 16 but he is a guy I wouldn't be surprised if a team reached for him.

Chayka is a guy I have a hard time to grasp on how to project him I haven't got a clue where to rank him. What's your view on him?
Here are a couple of reports that I could get at short notice;
https://thehockeywriters.com/daniil-chayka-2021-nhl-draft-profile/
2021 NHL Draft #20: Daniil Chayka Scouting Report
I haven't had an opportunity to watch a lot of Chayka, but the write-ups make him sound a lot like Mikkola. Tall, rangy, good skater with limited offensive skills, especially with his read of the game. I think he is more of what we already have, but he is a good "safe" pick.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Here are a couple of reports that I could get at short notice;
https://thehockeywriters.com/daniil-chayka-2021-nhl-draft-profile/
2021 NHL Draft #20: Daniil Chayka Scouting Report
I haven't had an opportunity to watch a lot of Chayka, but the write-ups make him sound a lot like Mikkola. Tall, rangy, good skater with limited offensive skills, especially with his read of the game. I think he is more of what we already have, but he is a good "safe" pick.
If he is another Mikkola, not sure how that is actually safe pick. That would be terrible outcome for #16 pick in draft.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
For those with subscriptions to the Athletic, here's the full list of Pronman:

NHL Draft prospects ranking 2021: Corey Pronman's final top 151

For those that don't, here is his top-16:
  1. Owen Power, LHD, Michigan-Big Ten
  2. Dylan Guenther, RW, Edmonton-WHL
  3. William Eklund, LW, Djurgarden-SHL
  4. Luke Hughes, LHD, U.S. NTDP-USHL
  5. Matthew Beniers, C, Michigan-Big Ten
  6. Kent Johnson, C, Michigan-Big Ten
  7. Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL
  8. Brandt Clarke, RHD, Barrie-OHL
  9. Mason McTavish, C, Peterborough-OHL
  10. Sebastian Cossa, G, Edmonton-WHL
  11. Jesper Wallstedt, G, Lulea-SHL
  12. Simon Edvinsson, LHD, Frolunda-SHL
  13. Corson Ceulemans, RHD, Brooks-AJHL
  14. Nikita Chibrikov, RW, SKA-VHL
  15. Matthew Coronato, RW, Chicago-USHL
  16. Kirill Kirsanov, LHD, SKA-KHL

Last edited:
Reactions: The Note

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Based on what I've seen:

1) William Eklund
2) Mathew Beniers
3) Dylan Guenther
4) Luke Hughes
5) Brandt Clarke
6) Fedor Svechkov
7) Owen Power
8) Kent Johnson
9) Mason McTavish
10) Carson Lambos
11) Mathew Coronato
12) Chaz Lucius
13) Corson Ceulmans
14) Nikita Chibrikov
15) Brennan Othman
16) Stanislav Svozil

I didn't rank either goalie because A) I'm never comfortable around goalie prospects, and B) of all the of the positions in the Blues prospect pool, that is the position I'm worried about the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatDude44

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Based on what I've seen:

1) William Eklund
2) Mathew Beniers
3) Dylan Guenther
4) Luke Hughes
5) Brandt Clarke
6) Fedor Svechkov
7) Owen Power
8) Kent Johnson
9) Mason McTavish
10) Carson Lambos
11) Mathew Coronato
12) Chaz Lucius
13) Corson Ceulmans
14) Nikita Chibrikov
15) Brennan Othman
16) Stanislav Svozil

I didn't rank either goalie because A) I'm never comfortable around goalie prospects, and B) of all the of the positions in the Blues prospect pool, that is the position I'm worried about the least.
What prompted you to put Power so low? He is consensus top pick so wondering what you saw that made you put him 7. And to be clear, not saying you are wrong, just think is interesting.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
What prompted you to put Power so low? He is consensus top pick so wondering what you saw that made you put him 7. And to be clear, not saying you are wrong, just think is interesting.
I've just never really liked how he's played. He has these wonderful tools but I don't find he uses them correctly. He definitely has talent, but I never feel impressed when watching him play. I think he processes the game well, but his playstyle seems far to reserved and conservative for me. He has the body of Pronger but plays like Ryan Murray from all that I've seen. Needless to say, I just wasn't that impressed. That isn't to say I don't think he would go 1st overall or even that he won't prove me wrong. He could easily play the way he does because he's a freshman in college and is still adjusting to his size. There are plenty of reasons why I could be wrong. But as of right now, I don't want a potential 1st overall pick to impress me less than players drafted after him.

Now, if this were a mock draft, there would be no question I'd have Power 1st overall. But when it comes to who I would want the Blues to draft, then I'm taking the six I have over him because I was, frankly, more impressed with them.

Reactions: DatDude44

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I've just never really liked how he's played. He has these wonderful tools but I don't find he uses them correctly. He definitely has talent, but I never feel impressed when watching him play. I think he processes the game well, but his playstyle seems far to reserved and conservative for me. He has the body of Pronger but plays like Ryan Murray from all that I've seen. Needless to say, I just wasn't that impressed. That isn't to say I don't think he would go 1st overall or even that he won't prove me wrong. He could easily play the way he does because he's a freshman in college and is still adjusting to his size. There are plenty of reasons why I could be wrong. But as of right now, I don't want a potential 1st overall pick to impress me less than players drafted after him.

Now, if this were a mock draft, there would be no question I'd have Power 1st overall. But when it comes to who I would want the Blues to draft, then I'm taking the six I have over him because I was, frankly, more impressed with them.
Appreciate your thoughts.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Yikes - Blues have no picks in 2nd and 4th rounds. Not a way to start to rebuild.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
who's starting a rebuild?

Think of it as rebuilding our prospect pool rather than rebuilding the Blues roster. Given he was talking about wanting more draft picks to restock that makes more sense seeing as any prospects taken will be several years out from being a factor anyway. Also if we veer too far off topic it takes away from the OP's intent.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Think of it as rebuilding our prospect pool rather than rebuilding the Blues roster. Given he was talking about wanting more draft picks to restock that makes more sense seeing as any prospects taken will be several years out from being a factor anyway. Also if we veer too far off topic it takes away from the OP's intent.

ah...that makes more sense. I don't get to watch the AHL games, so I just got stats to go by, but yeah, that team could def use more prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad