Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] G Mads Sogaard re-signs with the Senators (2 years, $775k AAV, two-way in first year)

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
He'll have plenty of opportunity to take that next step but frankly I just don't see it with this guy.

Hope he can prove me wrong.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I'm not particularly hopeful about Sogaard, but it's good to keep him around. He's been good in the AHL, but has not looked good at all in the NHL.

Goalies are weird, and you can't predict their development, so who knows?

I think the 1-way in year 2 makes him less likely to get picked up on waivers, which is good for Belleville. I don't care if Andlauer is willing to pay a goalie $750K to play in the AHL, as the whole cap hit is off the books if he's in the minors.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think it is still possible that they trade him this offseason.

He is now cost controlled at league minimum for 2-years, with the first year being a two-way contract.

If a team is interested in him, his RFA status was going to be a slight hinderance. Except for the 1-way money in year 2, this is a near perfect contract for a team that would want to invest on Sogaard as their backup goalie this season, with the hopes that he steals the starting job.

The Kings come to mind because they have Kaliyev, who Ottawa has been tied to, and they don't seem to have a goalie of the future who can step in soon. If Kuemper bounces back in their system, as lots of goalies do, that would allow for a reasonably good transition to Sogaard as their starter.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
One way in year 2, Makes sense, protects the asset, as good chance wouldn’t clear waivers, next year.
Becomes Ullmark’s backup next year, with his one way next year.
Assuming Ullmark extends, if he doesn’t extend, then Soogard definitely on Sens next year.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad