Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Drake Batherson re-signs with the Senators (6 years, $4.975 AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fantastic deal. Will age really, really well.

I like Farabee more, too, but by a small margin... plus that Farabee deal is a steal for Philly.

Anyone comparing the two is just missing the plot. Batherson is so much more skilled, a far clearer development curve, better physical tools, more well rounded, a clear threat on the PP... I have zero concerns with this deal. I see very little risk of Bath being less than a 50-60 pt, 20-30 goal guy. Holds his own defensively, mixes things up, very good in the neutral zone, smart... very nice top 6 player, even if his "ideal" spot is "only" 2RW.
Yet Colin White was a 21st overall pick, and Batherson 121st. Generally, "far more skilled" are picked early in the draft, not later.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
If a gm thinks a player is in the team’s long term plans to be in their top 6 then locking them up long term is the way to go. Bridge deals are for players that a team isn’t sure on for the long term or for teams that are already up against the cap. This is a good piece of business for Ottawa.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I like gambles. They thought he'd be part of the core an decided to secure him long term. They probably don't care much about the cap for the next 2 seasons anyway. Good move

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Yet Colin White was a 21st overall pick, and Batherson 121st. Generally, "far more skilled" are picked early in the draft, not later.
Ohhh. I knew Kucherov and Kaprizov couldn’t hold a candle to Sasha Pokoluk. Do you also think Kokomo is a better song than anything off of Pet Sounds because it charted higher?

You’re making yourself seem really stupid. Probably more painless to admit you don’t know the player.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
With Covid messing things up and flat cap I think GM's are just trying to lower short term cap numbers by adding the length.

For largely unproven players like Farabee and Batherson though, adding the term is only adding short term cap

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its still super weird to see these contracts and agree on how its a good contract lol.
- because it is a good contract, in todays standards....

Some perspective :

In 2020 he was still playing in the AHL, as a regular AHL:er, with u 40 games under his belt (to be) in the NHL
now....in 2021, he signs a contract worth about 30 million.....just makes me laugh inside to the craziness of it

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
In 2016-17 QMJHL season Abramov scored 104 points in 64 games, and Batherson scored 58 points in 61 games. Now Abramov plays in the KHL and Batherson gets a fancy NHL contract.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Drake is going to be a beast. He's smart, and has high compete level. I expect him to be consistent 60-70 pt player.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
In 2016-17 QMJHL season Abramov scored 104 points in 64 games, and Batherson scored 58 points in 61 games. Now Abramov plays in the KHL and Batherson gets a fancy NHL contract.

Crazy junior performance isn’t directly proportional to the pro level. Abramov’s transition to the AHL was a lot more difficult and he hasn’t really shown to be a NHL player. Batherson dominated the AHL.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Hopefully so for OTT, but it's pretty east to go back in time and see that White was highly valued by OTT (and other ) fans just a couple of years ago. No one was talking about his flaws at the time. Will Batherson be a different case?
I understand the point you’re trying to make; but other than both players getting 6 year deals after their ELC’s in Ottawa; the players aren’t comparable at all. Anyone who has watched Batherson play knows this. He drives offence, and isn’t a passenger like White is/was.

As for this comment, it shows you know little about Batherson and the circumstances that lead to him being drafted that late as an overager and the meteoric rise he has had since his being drafted.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Also when they moved up to the AHL, Batherson was better and named to AHL rookie all-stars,

Reactions: SensFactor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad