Value of: OTT & ARI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
What would it cost for Arizona to take Bobby Ryan?

Where does Arizona value Demers?

Does Pittsburgh's 1st round and Ryan for Demers be work?

Or if Ottawa had 2nd overall and Arizona had 3rd overall, would a swap plus Pittsburghs 1st for Ryan and Demers work?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Or if Ottawa had 2nd overall and Arizona had 3rd overall, would a swap plus Pittsburghs 1st for Ryan and Demers work?
Why would AZ give up any asset? How much salary retention? A late first to help out Ottawa while hurting budget flexibility and potentially ability to re-sign OEL isn't appealing to be honest. Trading OEL's D partner in Demers doesn't help matters either. Not saying it's not possible but expect the price tag to be high.

Edit - at $7.5 M of actual salary for 4 more years on an already declining asset in Ryan I can honestly say there would be zero interest. Unless the Sens first rounder is on the table I wouldn't even return the phone call if I was Chayka. And I'm fully aware that's unreasonable. I also don't believe AZ particularly cares if Ottawa is able to get this contract off their books. AZ is not a charity.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
After a slow start, Demers turned out to be exactly what he hoped for and more - a steady veteran partner for OEL. He will also be the only natural RHD we'll have under contract when this season is over, so I don't believe moving him is in the cards at all.

No interest in taking on Ryan unless a significant sweetener is attached.

Reactions: iSophagus

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Why would AZ give up any asset? How much salary retention? A late first to help out Ottawa while hurting budget flexibility and potentially ability to re-sign OEL isn't appealing to be honest. Trading OEL's D partner in Demers doesn't help matters either. Not saying it's not possible but expect the price tag to be high.

At $7.5 M of actual salary for 4 more years on an already declining asset in Ryan I can honestly say there would be zero interest. Unless the Sens first rounder is on the table I wouldn't even return the phone call if I was Chayka. And I'm fully aware that's unreasonable. I also don't believe AZ particularly cares if Ottawa is able to get this contract off their books. AZ is not a charity.
Usually I just hit like, but in this case I'm quoting hbk's post because it really can't be said better. Without massive (50%) retention, at $7.5m x 4 yrs, I have zero interest. AZ is not a charity.

Reactions: iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Bobby Ryan's salary is actually about to go up a little bit starting next year. He got paid less than the 7.25 cap-hit in the first few years, and will now make up for it by getting 7.5 million a year in actual dollars paid for the next 4 years.

Unless it's got most of the salary retained, it almost doesn't matter what else is going one way or the other in a trade. Arizona can't afford to pay him the dollars. It would cripple the salary structure on a budget team. Even if we're talking unprotected 1st rounders, and asking nothing in return, the answer will have to be "no".

If you want to trade Bobby Ryan, Arizona is absolutely not on the list of possible trade partners. This isn't the kind of bad contract they can take.

txw

Feb 2, 2018
Demers has killed it for us this season, and is irreplaceable in the locker room. A big part of our winning attitude comes from guys like Demers. No chance we move him .

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Want to get rid of Ryan but not if we have to give up a pick along with it. No thanks to this 1.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'd imagine the sweetener would have to be really significant. I don't think Arizona moves Demers for Pittsburgh's 1st straight up, let alone having to take on Ryan.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Want to get rid of Ryan but not if we have to give up a pick along with it. No thanks to this 1.

How do you think you can get rid of Ryan without sending something very very nice with him. He will drag along on the Sens for the rest of that contract unless their cheap owner buys him out.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ryan
Batherson
Englund

For

Dauphin
Crouse
Wood

?
AZ would rather just keep Dauphin and Crouse. I just don't see AZ as wanting to give Ottawa a get out of jail free card here without significant cost. And by significant I mean insultingly lopsided.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Ok people. I meant no disrespect, and just wanted feedback...and I got it.
Start with the Bickell trade as a basis, then add on from there given how much worse Ryan's contract is.

Ok...

Ryan
Batherson

For

Panik
Crouse
Merkley

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Ok...

Ryan
Batherson

For

Panik
Crouse
Merkley
So Merkley and Crouse? Two of their best A players and top prospects for a guy they don't want or need and can't afford.

Easy. And I mean hysterically easy pass.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Demers has been really good for us. He's been playing on our top pair with OEL and showing great chemistry.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
What if Ottawa just retained? If they ate 1/3 of his salary, that would put him at 5m/yr in actual dollars the next four seasons (the last four of his deal). That's not totally unreasonable. Arizona would likely still want something for the trouble but it wouldn't have to be a 1st round pick.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Here's my counter and it's meant to either stop the conversation entirely or if you are truly serious it needs to end up close to this.

Ottawa's 1st
Bobby Ryan (50% retention)

Or

Logan Brown
Pitts 1st rounder

For Futures

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Ok...

Ryan
Batherson

For

Panik
Crouse
Merkley

Why keep adding on well regarded AZ prospects? And a roster player in Panik who doesn’t hold negative value?

The proper stucture of a hypothetical Bobby Ryan trade should be:

Ryan
Sweetener in pick, prospects, and or players, their value dependent on whether any salary is retained on Ryan

For

Something negligible. Maybe a career AHL player or late round pick.

Alternately the structure could be Ryan for something of negative value. With sweeteners to be added based on the relative negative values—most likely this would mean Ottawa adding. Arizona has almost no contracts of notable negative value though. Even Bolland is only owed $1.1m by AZ since insurance is picking up the rest of his contract.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
2nd Overall - Svechnikov
Bobby Ryan

for

6th Overall (from DET)

I still think Detroit jumps on this. I'd hate it if the Sens pass up on Svechnikov, but I also have a gut feeling they would take Tkachuk at #2, so I don't mind going from Tkachuk to #6 all that much. Obviously the lotto can change all these hypotheticals.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Here's my counter and it's meant to either stop the conversation entirely or if you are truly serious it needs to end up close to this.

Ottawa's 1st

Or

Logan Brown
Pitts 1st rounder
For Futures

This is actually more laughable than the original post. Ryan for 3.6 million isn't close to a bad contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad