Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXXIV: March Madness

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Grimm

I can't stand the rain ☔
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Tim Duncan's senior year at Wake Forest (yes he played 4 years) the Celtics went 15-67. That was just a coincidence. :sarcasm: ;)

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Anybody else watch tennis here? Federer is teetering close to elimination in the Australian Open right now.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Tennis is the sport that I'd actually love to see a high-tier match live, but have absolutely zero interest in watching it on TV.

It's like soccer for me. If someone offered to take me to a Fire game, yeah I'd be up for it. And I'd definitely want to go to a Premier League or La Liga game if I ever visit Europe. But a game's on the tube? Not interested. Guess that that's the case for me and the NBA, too.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Tennis is the sport that I'd actually love to see a high-tier match live, but have absolutely zero interest in watching it on TV.

It's like soccer for me. If someone offered to take me to a Fire game, yeah I'd be up for it. And I'd definitely want to go to a Premier League or La Liga game if I ever visit Europe. But a game's on the tube? Not interested. Guess that that's the case for me and the NBA, too.

Tennis is so much better than soccer. I'd love to see the US Open live

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Tennis is so much better than soccer. I'd love to see the US Open live

I strongly disagree :laugh:

Tennis is a great sport, I respect the hell out of the athletes. I just can't that get into individual sports, never will be my cup of tea. I'll watch it over golf, that's for sure.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Hopefully last night is the start of domination for the Bulls going forward. Hope to see them right be ship, so much potential for this year. Would hate to see it go to waste.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
1511081_10153626483513298_6127821891744793418_n.jpg

Crede really took care of himself...

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I strongly disagree :laugh:

Tennis is a great sport, I respect the hell out of the athletes. I just can't that get into individual sports, never will be my cup of tea. I'll watch it over golf, that's for sure.

So watch doubles. ;)

I don't watch as much as I did when I was a kid but try to check out the majors and Olympics tennis when I can.

I actually prefer the French Open and Wimbledon to the hard court majors, but the Australian Open suits my insomniac sleep schedule at the moment quite well.

As for tennis vs. other sports, I just enjoy seeing the momentum swings and the mental toughness it demands in its athletes as much as anything. And the interaction with the crowd and the opponent and the judge makes it more fascinating to me than other fancy quiet sports like golf.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
So watch doubles. ;)

I don't watch as much as I did when I was a kid but try to check out the majors and Olympics tennis when I can.

I actually prefer the French Open and Wimbledon to the hard court majors, but the Australian Open suits my insomniac sleep schedule at the moment quite well.

As for tennis vs. other sports, I just enjoy seeing the momentum swings and the mental toughness it demands in its athletes as much as anything. And the interaction with the crowd and the opponent and the judge makes it more fascinating to me than other fancy quiet sports like golf.

I can't get into the Olympic tennis. With the exception of hockey, I don't like any Olympic sports where winning the gold medal isn't the ultimate goal within the sport. I.e., every tennis player would prefer to win Wimbledon rather than an Olympic gold. NBA players would all prefer an NBA championship. Golf...

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Speaking of tennis, I have long held the opinion that Chris Fowler has by far the best job at ESPN. Host Gameday (and now their lead PbP man) for 4 months, and then travel the world.

Nothingman*

I used to play tennis in HS and, without bragging, went to state three years. It is hard for people to understand th amount of athleticism involved in covering the court. Stand on that court and try getting
To the net following a 120mph serve.And I like watching majors on TV. I one day hope to attend a major but that is a bit expensive. Maybe one day I can.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Once when I was a kid, Banks just happened to sit next to my family and me at a Cubs game. Looking back, he probably just wanted to be left alone, but he patiently talked baseball with me the whole game. He couldn't have been nicer. I think he appreciated my love of the game, and the Cubs. At one point he got up to go to the TV booth where he was going to sit in on the broadcast for the inning. He invited me up to meet the guys, which was awesome. Truly a class act and a great guy. RIP, Mr. Cub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad