OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVII: Baez Time!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Soler is toying with AA pitching. If he can stay healthy, he'll be in Chicago at some point next year

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Somehow I had missed that the first game of the NBA pre-season is apparently Heat-Cavaliers in Rio de Janeiro.

Are LeBron's peeps really dragging this out and tying his decision to his flight to the World Cup in Brazil to promote some dumb pre-season game?

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
How do the Cubs prospects stack up all time? If you havent already read these articles, dog days of summer Cubs prospects potpourri for your reading enjoyment.

Rankings in the articles based on Baseball Americas Top 50/100 prospects which have been since revised.

July 5 Prospect Watch: The Cubs and other collections of elite prospects

The Cubs and Athletics swung a whopper of a trade on Friday night, as the best team in baseball got better and the team with one of the best farm systems in baseball got deeper. Chicago landed prized shortstop prospect Addison Russell in the swap, adding to their superb collection of position player prospects.

Depending on your opinion or Russell and others, you could argue the Cubs have three of the 10 best prospects in the game right now. According to Baseball America's preseason top 100 list, they have three of the top 14. How many other clubs have had that kind of elite prospect base? More than I realized. With the help of Baseball America's all-time top 100 prospects list database, here are the teams that had three of the game's top 20 prospects since the turn of the century.

CBSSports

How Good is the Cubs Farm System Right Now?

Poor wording aside, I have been thinking a lot the past few days about where this farm system ranks in Cubs history and in baseball in general. The Cubs landed three prospects in the top 10 of Baseball America's midseason Top 50 list. A feat that they have never accomplished in the 24 years Baseball America has been creating their Top 100 list.

Cubs Insider

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
More Cubs potpourri.

The History Of The Cubs Draft: 1965-2011

is is not a pretty tale. It is full of ugliness and disappointment. You may want to stop reading now. I'm going to tell you a tale that will make your stomach churn. You may wake up screaming in the night after having read this. If you wish to stop reading now, I understand. In fact, I encourage it. Here's a link to pictures of puppies. I hope it makes you feel better.

The Cubs have not drafted well in their history. By at least one measure, they're the worst-drafting team in the history of the draft. Even when they do draft well, those players are often dealt to other teams for less than they ended up being worth. That record of woe is only slightly mitigated by a few steals like dealing Bobby Hill off to Pittsburgh for Aramis Ramirez.

SB Nation

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Peter Gammons was on the Score saying the Cubs organization is set up now to contend in... 2017.

Am I missing something or is that 1-2 years later than the timeline we've been sold to this point?

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Peter Gammons was on the Score saying the Cubs organization is set up now to contend in... 2017.

Am I missing something or is that 1-2 years later than the timeline we've been sold to this point?

What does he mean by "contend?" For a playoff spot? Because if that is the case I see this team being able to do that in 2016. I think at the very least they should be an extremely entertaining team to watch in 2015.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They should be contending for a playoff spot next year. It doesn't take much to compete for that 2nd wild card spot. 85 wins and you're within range.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I see making the playoffs as contending, which was my concern. Unfortunately I didn't hear the Gammons interview itself but Mully talking about it after the fact and him saying Peter Gammons has the Cubs contending time starting in 2017.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I see making the playoffs as contending, which was my concern. Unfortunately I didn't hear the Gammons interview itself but Mully talking about it after the fact and him saying Peter Gammons has the Cubs contending time starting in 2017.

If they don't spend big money in free agency, it will be 2017.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
It's been 10 games

John Arguello‏@CubsDen·8 mins
Some players hit a "soft" .300. Jorge Soler is hitting a hard .400 so far at Tennessee with 11 of his 15 hits going for extra bases.

John Arguello‏@CubsDen·6 mins
It seems impossible. Even if we only counted extra base hits as hits, Soler would still be hitting .297.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006

Who really knows.

As far as position players go Alcantaras 2 game showing looks like hes ready now but thats only 2 games. Id keep him up and see how he does.

Bryant if pushed to the major league level now would be solid imo but Id wait for at least the late season call up. The other issue with Bryant would be burning contract years to FA. Dont know exactly how that would work but Im sure Theo would rather get max years until Bryant becomes FA eligible which means keeping him at 3A for now.

Baez is 21 and in 3A but is a wild swinger. I wouldnt push him until I feel comfortable he will outgrow that level plus his fielding along with Bryants needs more seasoning.

Addison Russell is 20 and in 2A and has started out 0-9. Nowhere near the bat of Bryant or even Schwaber but hes one of the youngest players in 2A.

Schwaber is 21 and in A- and killing it. Looks like he can be fast tracked but he has yet to see A+ level or higher pitching.

Almora is 20 and in A+. Started out horribly but has since been on a hot streak.

Soler is 22 and in 2A.

Pitching is a much different story. Top prospect CJ Edwards has only pitched 4 games and has been shut down since April. Hes 22 and in 2A. The rest are projected as 5-6 starters if at all.

Id say position players will make their debut at 23, 24 and pitchers at 24-26, peaking or fully up to speed 2-3 years after their initial debut but the Cubs also need to find at least 1-2 top arms via trade or FA.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Forman/Paxson failing in FA again

The Bulls are going nowhere until these clowns are fired. Paxson should have been out years ago

Bulls are also going nowhere with Rose on roster.. Always injured and refuses to help make Bulls an attractive FA destination with his no recruiting BS

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
MLB ‏@MLB 34s
.@WhiteSox sign 3rd overall pick in @MLBDraft LHP Carlos Rodon to Minor League contract with a $6.582 million signing bonus.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Forman/Paxson failing in FA again

The Bulls are going nowhere until these clowns are fired. Paxson should have been out years ago

Bulls are also going nowhere with Rose on roster.. Always injured and refuses to help make Bulls an attractive FA destination with his no recruiting BS

I don't care for GarPax and wouldn't be sad if they were replaced but DRose being an antisocial weirdo has nothing to do with the Bulls mi$$ing out on Melo if that's what happen$. By all accounts Melo liked his meeting and free agent wooing pitch from the Bulls the best.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
BWC, let's wait until Melo decides until we go into freakout mode. Been a lot of positive buzz about Melo and the Bulls lately, so it's not over yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad