OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVII: Baez Time!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
That particular promotion is such a win-win for players. Not only are you moving up the ranks of the organization but you get to leave Geneva, IL for Daytona Beach. They have to love that phone call.

Nothing against Geneva, nice area. But you get my point.

Unfortunately he has to deal with all of the rain cancellations down in Daytona.

Kaner Coffee

Anna for Hart Trophy
Jul 2, 2011
Chicago
That particular promotion is such a win-win for players. Not only are you moving up the ranks of the organization but you get to leave Geneva, IL for Daytona Beach. They have to love that phone call.

Nothing against Geneva, nice area. But you get my point.

Daytona Beach in July is not Daytona Beach during Spring Break.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Daytona Beach in July is not Daytona Beach during Spring Break.

I know but I'd still take it in a heartbeat. Then again I just happen to like Florida and beaches, in general. I'd actually prefer now over Spring Break time but that's just cuz I'm old. Though, never too old for the sights.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
As per ESPN SportsCenter ticker and PTI, Bulls indeed amnestied Carlos Boozer.

Bbt_celebration-gif_medium.gif

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
White Sox are beating the Cubs in TV ratings but...

Ratings: Sox up, Cubs down; few watching

The White Sox's ratings are up and the Cubs' ratings are down, but both teams share something in common: Very few people are watching either last-place team, at least not on Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

If CSN televised Marc Trestman watching mini-camp film, it would probably beat both teams in ratings.

Both the Cubs' and White Sox's local cable ratings at the All-Star break are in the bottom five of the 29 U.S.-based teams, according to a Sports Business Journal study of Nielsen ratings for regional sports networks.

The last-place Cubs rank No. 25 with a 1.48 average rating, that's down 7 percent from this point last season and 8 percent overall, according to information provided to ESPN Chicago by Sports Business Journal writer John Ourand.

Right now, the Sox, essentially tied with last-place Minnesota in the AL Central, have the fourth-highest gain in baseball, up 16 percent from this point last season and 24 percent from last year's final numbers.

Unfortunately, that's only good enough for a 1.39 rating, and only two teams are lower.

The two teams' household averages are stunningly close, 52,000 for the Cubs and 49,000 for the White Sox, Nos. 21 and 22, respectively, in baseball.

ESPNChicago

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Can't blame fans for not watching daily when they knew full well that they're not in compete mode. That's that problem with sport rankings in this town, as the Cubs fanbase is obviously depressed and the excitement for the immediate is nil.

Plus, still think that the psyche of the fanbase took a massive hit after 2008, so only time will tell if the good times return if/when the team's good again.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
White Sox are beating the Cubs in TV ratings but...

ESPNChicago

Apparently you are bad at reading because thats not what the article says

The last-place Cubs rank No. 25 with a 1.48 average rating, that's down 7 percent from this point last season and 8 percent overall, according to information provided to ESPN Chicago by Sports Business Journal writer John Ourand.

Right now, the Sox, essentially tied with last-place Minnesota in the AL Central, have the fourth-highest gain in baseball, up 16 percent from this point last season and 24 percent from last year's final numbers.

Unfortunately, that's only good enough for a 1.39 rating, and only two teams are lower.

The two teams' household averages are stunningly close, 52,000 for the Cubs and 49,000 for the White Sox, Nos. 21 and 22, respectively, in baseball.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Apparently you are bad at reading because thats not what the article says

Woops. ADD. What can I say.

Yeah just skimmed it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hard to compare, as they were really distinct eras. In the late 90s/early 2000s, Sosa wasn't just the biggest face in Chicago, he was arguably one of the biggest faces in the North American sports world, period, due to the multiple mega home run years.

Sosa was already in freefall in popularity with the Cubs by the time Ozzie came in and was gone before the Sox won the World Series, so their popular eras didn't really coincide.

But, if I had to compare the two, I'd think that Sosa was bigger at his height versus Ozzie. Sure, the Sox won a World Series, but the home run chase was just so monumental for the recovery of baseball following the strike that I don't think it can be underrated in any way. A large reason why I'd like to see Sosa and the Cubs mend their relationship.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The face of the White Sox has been Paul Konerko for nearly 15 years.

Was reminiscing on Monday about his Derby appearance, lost to Jason Giambi in the final. I was 12...god did that make me feel old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad