Only 2 Canadians in top 18 of scoring - what happened?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
...and no one in top 10! 😯

I think this snapshot is horrible.
Btw: McDavid has only 10 points at 107th ranking. Mo Seider has more points! What's happening with Canadian Hockey?!

top18.png

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Season ends at 13 games
Games end after 1 period
1 period ends during the puck drop
Cups awarded during the pregame

• Haha
Reactions: Chelis Chili

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
USA hockey has been developing solid talent the last decade. It’s not surprising they are creeping up on Canada. I think more concerning is they haven’t been developing goaltending as well. If they had a best on best tournament this year, there really no clear cut goalie. It would just be whoever is hot at the time they would use.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
There was definitely a lull in new talent after the McDavid draft. Outside of Makar, the best Canadian drafted until Bedard is who? Thomas? Dubois? Suzuki? Not exactly top tier talent. Meanwhile high end talent like Crosby, Marchand and Stamkos are getting older. Add in slower starts for McDavid and MacKinnon, and here we are. To some degree things will balance out over more games, and the 5 above plus Point, Marner and Makar all have a good chance of ending up in the top 20, but it’s definitely a lower point for Canadian talent. These things tend to be cyclical though. Things weren’t looking great in the years leading up to the Crosby draft. Last draft seems promising so we’ll see where things are at in a few years

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
More shocking to find a finish player on the list, although far down.
You mean goal scorers? Yep, only 3 in the top 20: Stats (Reinhart, Konecny, Toffoli)

I came into this thread surprised that Montreal had two players in the top 18, then I assumed OP meant players from Quebec.

But nope, OP managed to spell the most common nationality in the league incorrectly.

'Canadians' would be the word you are looking for.
I am sorry! It was correct in the text, but not topic, fixed it now :)

Reactions: The Pale King

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Everyone here should be happy about this outcome. Judging by the theme of threads here.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Serious answer. Canada has fallen behind in hockey development as other countries dumped in a lot of money and greatly improved the development process. The US has 10x the spending we do in Canada and dumped money into proper player development. About a decade ago my son was playing hockey and they introduced smaller areas of play because full ice made no sense. They got this idea from the US as they were already doing it for some time. There was a ton of pushback from people in Canada because for some reason they thought kids need to be playing full ice, and there is still some pushback from parents. And overall their practices were just scheduled properly, tons of movement, small groups, and a lot of time with the puck on your stick. No sitting around waiting. When my son was young there was a lot of one or two lines waiting to do a stupid drill. A lot of boredom. My buddy coaches for Team USA hockey in the US and was telling me all of this ten years ago trying to help me spread this development to my area. And here we are today, Canada is not the powerhouse it once was. They are now playing catch up and using other countries' development theories. Another thing they are big on is playing multisports. You develop other skills by playing other sports and reduce burnout. I've seen numerous amazing hockey player kids quit in their teens because they are sick of playing 12 months a year of hockey.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
...and no one in top 10! 😯

I think this snapshot is horrible.
Btw: McDavid has only 10 points at 107th ranking. Mo Seider has more points! What's happening with Canadian Hockey?!

View attachment 766339
Means absolutely nothing. However, it is hillarious to me that the Hughes family has more players in top 10 than all of Canada.lol If I were their parents, my ego would be huge right now.

"Hey Honey, remember that time our sons outscored all of Canada?'lmao

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad