Value of: Oliver Wahlstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Former 11th overall pick who at this point has been passed on our depth chart by Julien Gauthier, Simon Holmstrom and Hudson Fasching. His big asset is his shot but he doesn't seem to have the footspeed or hockey sense to get into a position to use it. For what it's worth, he had better results with Trotz than with Lambert. 23 years old and under team control. Does he still have any change of scenery value?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
There's really no value there. I could see him moving if NYI & ANA get together in a trade as an extra inducement to retain some money, but not a whole lot more. I think if there's anywhere he could figure things out, it'll be with his buddy Zegras.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... passed on our depth chart by Julien Gauthier ... and Hudson Fasching
not a great selling point ...
... under team control. Does he still have any change of scenery value?
'under team control' true, will be RFA, but waiver-exemption has been depleted, so acquiring team commits to a NHL roster spot, or pays low given possible need to waive ...

i think your change of scenery question is apt,
every team has 1st/2nd/3rd round guys they had higher hopes for

but if Isles see injuries, and he gets back in for a while,
and pops a handful of goals, his return (or his value to NYI) can be much higher

Reactions: impaaaaaact

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Seems like a change of scenary type trade for a similar aged player. P.O Jospeh would be the example from the Pens.

Or you hold him till the deadline and throw him in to a trade with a team out of the playoffs who would be able/willing to give him more minutes.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’d be interested in an Alex Alexeyev or Lucas Johansen swap for Wahlstrom. Alexeyev and Wahlstrom were drafted in the first round in the same draft, LuJo in the first the year prior.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
not a great selling point ...
Yeah, just trying to give an accurate description of the team's situation to get accurate responses. TBF Holmstrom PKs (leading league in shorties), and feels like Gauthier has maybe never been given a chance to play his game before. He's been very good tbh, he's throwing the body now and creating chaos with his speed. Fasching just makes more sense on a bottom line role and will probably split games with Martin/Clutterbuck for the rest of the year to keep everyone fresh

Reactions: Eegs

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Always liked Wahlstrom.

What about a Wahlstrom for Ruzicka swap? Two young forwards currently buried in the depth chart for their respective clubs.

Always see Walhstrom/Dobson as the two guys that were swapped for the Hamonic pick. We have no idea who the Islanders would have landed on if they only had the 11th OA and not the 11 and 12.

Rosie, Duehr, and Dube have all been disappointing this year and all to me would be valid as a change-of-scenery type deals. Walker to a lesser extent because his ceiling was always more of an energy guy than a top 6.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I’d be interested in an Alex Alexeyev or Lucas Johansen swap for Wahlstrom. Alexeyev and Wahlstrom were drafted in the first round in the same draft, LuJo in the first the year prior.
Alexeyev is interesting, but with Pelech coming back LHD we will have 5 LHD on the roster already. Yeah, gonna be hard to find something that makes sense

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Always see Walhstrom/Dobson as the two guys that were swapped for the Hamonic pick. We have no idea who the Islanders would have landed on if they only had the 11th OA and not the 11 and 12.

Rosie, Duehr, and Dube have all been disappointing this year and all to me would be valid as a change-of-scenery type deals. Walker to a lesser extent because his ceiling was always more of an energy guy than a top 6.
Ruzicka and Dube would make sense on position alone. When a center gets injured we have had to either slide Engvall or Clutterbuck into that spot on their respective lines to avoid splitting up Horvat and Barzal. We don't really have any C depth at all so Isles definitely entertain both

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Isles aren’t gonna get much for him right now. Best to hold onto him and hope that he’s a late bloomer. He has shown flashes of good skill, so maybe he’ll turn it around.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
He would do really well to get himself on a rebuilding team where he could get more offensive assignments. His skating is good enough, his shot is borderline elite when he is consistent but his hockey sense is absolutely not NHL grade, he really needs to be in a simple system where he just gets fed pucks and can rip em. He would be an elite AHLer and would probably thrive in Europe.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place

I just assume that the isles went with their draft order for the pair. Had they not had the #12, they’d have just drafted Wahlstrom. Dobson was a gift. Just my thoughts on that.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I want to try an island of misfit toys line. Huberdeau/Ruzicka/Dube. I hate how talented I know Dube and Ruzicka are and yet so ineffective.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Yeah, just trying to give an accurate description of the team's situation to get accurate responses. TBF Holmstrom PKs (leading league in shorties), and feels like Gauthier has maybe never been given a chance to play his game before. He's been very good tbh, he's throwing the body now and creating chaos with his speed. Fasching just makes more sense on a bottom line role and will probably split games with Martin/Clutterbuck for the rest of the year to keep everyone fresh

Goat was given plenty of chances with the Rangers, he showed flashes but he could never seem to put it all together despite getting plenty of opportunities for 3 years straight.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Wahlstrom has not been afforded true opportunity. I'd like to see someone give him some good ice time. Also, bigger guys sometimes take a little more developmental time. Maybe Chicago...

My Best-Carey

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It would help the Islanders if they could swap him for a player in the minors or exempt from waivers.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Wahlstrom has not been afforded true opportunity. I'd like to see someone give him some good ice time. Also, bigger guys sometimes take a little more developmental time. Maybe Chicago...

My Best-Carey

Chicago could be a good pump and dump location

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

My Best-Carey
He doesn’t prove he can do anything consistent when he does get his opportunities. His skating (and speed especially) are not up to NHL level. Most of his game from the defensive side isn’t good either. Just watch him try to utilize his shot, most of it is stagnant and just spent waiting around.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
He doesn’t prove he can do anything consistent when he does get his opportunities. His skating (and speed especially) are not up to NHL level. Most of his game from the defensive side isn’t good either. Just watch him try to utilize his shot, most of it is stagnant and just spent waiting around.

He will throw a good check . Watching him a few years now he may very well turn into a Cal Clutterbuck type in order to have any hope of remaining in the league. Will he put in the effort or just eat some cheeseburgers and get fat only time will tell

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
He will throw a good check . Watching him a few years now he may very well turn into a Cal Clutterbuck type in order to have any hope of remaining in the league. Will he put in the effort or just eat some cheeseburgers and get fat only time will tell
He tries to throw the check but winds up out of position and doesn’t have the skating ability to catch up. I’d personally move on from him and just use the spot to keep Gauthier next season. Much better bottom 6 player that brings an element of speed this team has been lacking in that role.

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
Not sure it actually makes sense for Dallas but Ty Dellandrea is in a similar boat- taken two picks after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad