Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Sabres

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
If Smith shits the bed and is still an Oiler the next day, Holland should get a 10 year extension. That makes as much sense as Smith playing in the NHL right now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A nice 45 save shutout by Smith would be nice. Then leave him in Buffalo and bring back Anderson.

Convince them this guy is "their" starter for next year.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Can we not root for Smith to fail? He's historically been a #1G in the playoffs, which is just what we need (along with an improved defensive corps). It would go a long way if he can somehow get back to form (yeah I know it's doubtful).

Reactions: McDraekke and AM

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Can we not root for Smith to fail? He's historically been a #1G in the playoffs, which is just what we need (along with an improved defensive corps). It would go a long way if he can somehow get back to form (yeah I know it's doubtful).
Like a decade ago. He has played 3 playoff series in the past decade. One he was good for Calgary and two for us. One where he was the worst player on the ice, the other where he was one of the worst goalies in the playoffs. What a guy did 10+ years ago means nothing

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Like a decade ago. He has played 3 playoff series in the past decade. One he was good for Calgary and two for us. One where he was the worst player on the ice, the other where he was one of the worst goalies in the playoffs. What a guy did 10+ years ago means nothing
I mean, he had a .917 playing for Calgary against Colorado (was easily their best player), and a .912 against the Jets. Those may look like average numbers but Calgary was dominated by Colorado and Smith was fairly solid for us last year (2.4 GAA so he held the fort enough for us to win).The play-in game was an outlier and after a huge break. Not going to put too much stock into it, especially since Smith had a .944 and .958 when he made the playoffs with Arizona and Tampa Bay.

Koskinen is playing much better right now but not sure I trust him in the playoffs when the pressure is turned up 100x.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Why are people talking about previous Smith seasons? He looks HORRIBLE this year. Lunging at pucks, out of position in net, etc. I could care less what he did in the past in the playoffs. He is no longer that same player and the faster the Oilers recall Skinner, the better chance we dont keep giving away points.

Reactions: Duke74

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean, he had a .917 playing for Calgary against Colorado (was easily their best player), and a .912 against the Jets. Those may look like average numbers but Calgary was dominated by Colorado and Smith was fairly solid for us last year (2.4 GAA so he held the fort enough for us to win).The play-in game was an outlier and after a huge break. Not going to put too much stock into it, especially since Smith had a .944 and .958 when he made the playoffs with Arizona and Tampa Bay.

Koskinen is playing much better right now but not sure I trust him in the playoffs when the pressure is turned up 100x.
That 944 and 958 are meaningless as they were over a decade ago dude.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
That 944 and 958 are meaningless as they were over a decade ago dude.
Then the one game against Chicago is even more meaningless dude. I'm just saying based on history I probably prefer Smith over Koskinen in the playoffs. I hope he can get back up to speed because right now the obvious choice to start Game 1 is Mikko and that makes me very afraid.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Whose rooting for Smith to fail? He just sucks.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No one specifically, but it seems like some people just love to torch the guy. Just reminding people it's in our best interest for him to do well down the stretch.
Maybe because he’s one of the worst goalies in the league. We’re fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot and he hurts our chances anytime he’s in the net. I hope he does well but I just don’t see it happening.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
If Smith blunders again tomorrow night, you have to think THAT'S the end? We need points.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
If Smith blunders again tomorrow night, you have to think THAT'S the end? We need points.
Smith would have been done long ago if the GM thought we had other options. Even Holland can see Smith is costing us our shot at the playoffs every start he gets, he's just incapable of making a move that improves that position in any way.

If Smith blunders again tomorrow, they'll ride koskinen until he shits the bed again and then go back to Smith, because if there was a deal out there he was willing to do, I really don't see why he would have waited until seeing the results of tomorrows game to act on it.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Agreed. What a stupid decision. And he is slotted on the fourth line? Maybe he gets 8 minutes there. At least put Shore on the fourth line and let McLeod get third line centre.
It’s called a rotation. It’s good management.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Why would you root for a player on the team you cheer to fail? I get that we all have faves and non-faves, but thats a silly proposition. Do you cheer for Connor to fail? For Leon to fail?

edit - your first sentence is wonky. I think i know what your asking, but then again you confuse me.

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad