GDT: Oilers vs Jets - 7:00 PM; Roger's Place

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I agree... Gryba is a decent option for slotting into that #6/#7 dman slot... he's basically reached his ceiling and he won't get any better whether he sits or plays. He's physical and is "good enough" imo to play when injuries hit.

Players like Benning/Reinhart/Nurse have to either be in the lineup (bottom pairing preferably) or playing full time in the AHL to develop their games further.

Problem is the Oilers really do need 1 more decent vet dman... especially when injuries hit (and they will)... but I don't see that happening so they will likely go with the platoon method of calling up someone who's looking the best from the inexperienced cast... Oesterle/Reinhart/Benning/Musil.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Maroon > Lucic this pre-season.

Maroon is an even worse skater and made it work. I wouldn't mind if they tried Lucic with someone else. Reunite the Maroon Mcdavid Eberle line. I'd like to see Lucic tried with Nuge.
Maroon has played better . And Maroon being a worse skater is a myth Lucic looks slower out there then Maroon and I can't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Larsson was amazing tonight imo. He looks annoying to play against and is grittier than I expected.

Whole team looks like they understand how they are expected to play and are starting to execute. We flat out won more battles tonight against a big team. Hope Drake's not out long because he's earned a spot over Puju, Yak, etc

This change in leadership is a big part of it imo, Ebs and McJ did a lot on the rush tonight but you can tell they are trying to learn how to cycle the puck better and sustain the attack. People have bought in.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
One more top four dman to play with Sekera and I'd be pretty happy with the defense. Not that easy unfortunately.

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - xxx
Nurse - Davidson

That is how my pairings would look like too.

I'm actually quite happy with how our defensive core is shaping up. We really only have one glaring hole as opposed to the disaster we iced in seasons past.

On my shopping list is a top four right-handed D and a veteran for the third pairing.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Larsson was amazing tonight imo. He looks annoying to play against and is grittier than I expected.

Whole team looks like they understand how they are expected to play and are starting to execute. We flat out won more battles tonight against a big team. Hope Drake's not out long because he's earned a spot over Puju, Yak, etc

This change in leadership is a big part of it imo, Ebs and McJ did a lot on the rush tonight but you can tell they are trying to learn how to cycle the puck better and sustain the attack. People have bought in.

Nice. When was the last time anyone could say this around here?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm not sure how anyone can say Benning struggled tonight. He had a couple challenges early on but got better as the game wore on. Body position in the D zone and net battles was very good, overall made smart plays with the puck, some heads up passes and good puck movement overall. He was far better than Reinhart who was nondescript and Gryba who is just slow. Tough yes. Slow yes yes. Reinhart to the AHL, sign Gryba to a minimum salary deal as an insurance RHD or if needing toughness in a game vs a slower team. Keep Benning and play him ahead of Fayne. Fayne is your #7D, Gryba your #8.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm not sure how anyone can say Benning struggled tonight. He had a couple challenges early on but got better as the game wore on. Body position in the D zone and net battles was very good, overall made smart plays with the puck, some heads up passes and good puck movement overall. He was far better than Reinhart who was nondescript and Gryba who is just slow. Tough yes. Slow yes yes. Reinhart to the AHL, sign Gryba to a minimum salary deal as an insurance RHD or if needing toughness in a game vs a slower team. Keep Benning and play him ahead of Fayne. Fayne is your #7D, Gryba your #8.

He was very obviously the worst Oiler period tonight. Popped up in a bad way consistently all night. I seen pretty much exactly the opposite you did. Broken plays and broken passes all night long. Every time I thought "who is that guy" in a bad way it ended up being him.

Reinhart had the best scoring chance of any defenseman on the night with a nice pinch down to the slot and was never in trouble in his own zone. Obviously didn't score and was quiet but in a good way.

Playing anyone over Fayne, who has been quiet in a good way this preseason and is an experienced top 4 defender, just because they can skate faster is pure folly on opening night... especially with how everyone else has played. No more Brad Hunt type experiments to start a year. No reason to risk a rookie collapsing under the pressure and costing the season opener against the Flames.

No point in even signing Gyrba if you see him AND Fayne as #7/8's.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He was very obviously the worst Oiler period tonight. Popped up in a bad way consistently all night. I seen pretty much exactly the opposite you did. Broken plays and broken passes all night long. Every time I thought "who is that guy" in a bad way it ended up being him.

Reinhart had the best scoring chance of any defenseman on the night with a nice pinch down to the slot and was never in trouble in his own zone. Obviously didn't score and was quiet but in a good way.

Playing anyone over Fayne, who has been quiet in a good way this preseason and is an experienced top 4 defender, just because they can skate faster is pure folly on opening night... especially with how everyone else has played. No more Brad Hunt type experiments to start a year. No reason to risk a rookie collapsing under the pressure and costing the season opener against the Flames.

you seem to be the only one who thinks this way

Benning was fantastic...assertive, aggressive and smart

Reinhart was Reinhart...slow, fumbled the puck and a muffin of a shot...him and Gryba struggled big time

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
No one on the defense depth Corp has slam dunk taken spots 4 through 7. A case could be made for any but the case against any of them would be even easier to make.

Davidson's performance last year undoubtedly earned him a spot at least on the 3rd pairing.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I was at the game and have to respectfully disagree.

Gryba and Fayne play 2 different games and bring different things to the table, so I'd keep them both and Benning to start the season at least and go from there. Guaranteed there will be injuries on D (Oilers)!

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

The Oil played the Jets tonite. What game were you at?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Why the hell is this game blacked out on Game Center Live? Trying to watch this with the NHL app and it says its blacked out locally. Tried the Game Center Website because I can usually use a VPN to bypass the blackout and the videos don't work for ANY of the games. You sign in and you press REPLAY on the game, and it sends you to an NHL site with the scores. ****in Rogers can't do anything right. My most hated company.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Why the hell is this game blacked out on Game Center Live? Trying to watch this with the NHL app and it says its blacked out locally. Tried the Game Center Website because I can usually use a VPN to bypass the blackout and the videos don't work for ANY of the games. You sign in and you press REPLAY on the game, and it sends you to an NHL site with the scores. ****in Rogers can't do anything right. My most hated company.

I had my cell contract with Rogers for many years. Towards the end before I switched to another carrier I was getting anywhere from 1-5 telemarketing calls a day. Within the first week I noticed the calls almost stopped completely. Now I might get one a month.

Scummy company:eviltongu

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Did someone say Adam Bomb?

CXLCCxB.jpg

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Pretty much all the entire forwards to start the season here, minus RNH.
I think Joker is not ready yet, and will need some AHL time, as Yak has outplayed him for the 3rd line spot.

As to the defense, well, Reinhart will be sent down, to save bonus money, and I really can't tell much difference between him, Benning and Gryba. I really would have liked to see Simpson for one more game, was impressed enough with his development to have had him in the mix for 6/7.

It's nice to have a clear top pairing, not so worried about Fayne, it's the bottom pair that is concerning. Wasn't as impressed with Nurse this year so far. Hope Davidson gets healthy fast.

Barring a waiver wire pickup, I guess Gryba will be signed. Versteeg will be as well, but may have a private side deal to delay his signing so the team can see what shakes out, a trade, or a waiver pickup of a forward. Some teams are really behind the eight ball here with contracts/cap space/too many players at certain positions, so there may be some big surprises.

The team played really well though, have to give the coaching staff props here, and the players look like they have bought in. This was a pretty decent Jets team, and the Oilers controlled the game from start to finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad