Untitled.png

HAPPY BIRTHDAY McDavid!!!
EOLFiA7U0AAUfob

Preview:
OILERS vs. SHARKS
STREAM:
8:30 p.m. MT; televised on Sportsnet West

Oilers Team Scope
The Oilers will wrap up the California part of their four-game road trip with a stop at the SAP Center to take on the 13-22-8 San Jose Sharks.
Edmonton is coming off a dominating performance down the road in Anaheim, where they put up a season high 53 shots on the Ducks in a 6-2 victory. The Oilers opened the scoring early courtesy of a snipe by Dylan Holloway, who was elevated to the Oilers top line with Kailer Yamamoto and Connor McDavid.
"Tyson (Barrie) made a really good pinch down, rimmed it below the net, and then I was just alone in front and McDavid made an incredible backhand pass to me," Holloway said about the goals. "I was able to tap it in and it was awesome that it was able to go in."
McDavid would also find the back of the Ducks net himself, with a sublime turn off the half wall before roofing the backhand shot on Ducks starter John Gibson for his 35th of the season. Klim Kostin scored twice, including an excellent solo effort on a Ducks turnover that he whipped five hole on Gibson, and narrowly missed the hat trick in the third period with a slapshot in the slot off the iron.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scored his 20th of the season, to join McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, and Zach Hyman as the fourth Oiler to reach that milestone this season.
Jack Campbell picked up his 10th win of the season while filling in for Stuart Skinner, who is back home awaiting the birth of his first child. Campbell turned aside 21 of 23 Anaheim shots on the evening as he has slowly rounded into form as of late for the Oilers.
Friday night's contest will be the first of three games against the second-worst team in the Pacific Division, with San Jose sitting only six-points ahead of the last place Ducks.

Sharks Team Scope
The Sharks have been struggling to say the least this season, with just 13 wins in their first 43 games of the season. The California club is coming off a 4-3 defeat to the State rival Los Angeles Kings on Wednesday.
San Jose's top forward in Timo Meier, who has 43 points (24G, 19A) in 43 games, scored just over midway through the third period to deadlock the score at 2-2 -- however, the Kings rallied back with back-to-back goals by Gabriel Vilardi and Drew Doughty to put the game out of reach.
"This is not easy, the season we've gone through," San Jose Head Coach David Quinn said after the loss. "There's a lot of frustration because we feel like we've played better, but our record is what it is. I'm just proud of the way we competed and didn't give up. Even at 4-2, we kept playing and had chances to tie."
Although the season hasn't gone well for the Sharks thus far, it has gone well for former Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson. The defenceman has re-emmerged as one of the best offensive defenders in the NHL with 56 points (13G, 43A) in 43 games, leading all NHL blueliners. The 32-year-old currently sits seventh in league scoring and is on pace for 107 points this season. If Karlsson were to reach that total, it would be the most by a defenceman since Paul Coffey recorded 113 points for the Pittsburgh Penguins back in 1988-89.

By The Numbers
The Oilers come into Friday's contest having won four-straight meetings against the San Jose Sharks... Edmonton has outscored the Californian team by a 15-7 margin over that timeframe... Connor McDavid has recorded at least a point against the Sharks in 14 consecutive games with eight goals and 13 assists in that stretch... The Oilers captain is also in the midst of an 11-game road point streak... Leon Draisaitl passed Jari Kurri for fourth all-time among Oilers players in power-play goals with his between-the-legs redirection against the Ducks on Wednesday... The German now has 108 career PPGs with the Oilers to Kurri's 107 in the Blue & Orange....
Edmonton recorded four goals in the first period against the Ducks on Wednesday, the NHL leading sixth time they have scored at least four in a frame... Timo Meier has been dangerous for the Sharks all season, leading the NHL in scoring chances with 223... San Jose has the league's worst winning percentage in one-goal games this season with a 5-6-8 record (.263 per cent)... The Sharks also have the third worst winning percentage inside their own division with a 2-7-6 record (.333 per cent)... One area the Sharks do excel at is responding to goals, with eight tallies scored within a minute of their opponent scoring...

Injury Report
OILERS - Oscar Klefbom (shoulder) is on IR; Mike Smith (undisclosed) is on IR; Evander Kane (wrist) is on IR; Ryan Murray (undisclosed) is on IR.
SHARKS - Luke Kunin (ACL) is on IR; Markus Nutivaara (undisclosed) is on IR; Nikolai Knyzhov (Achillies) is on IR; Radim Simek (upper body) is on IR; Scott Harrington (upper body) is day-to-day....

-- Michael Arcuri, EdmontonOilers.com

Last edited:

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Must win as always...seems like we have to win close to 2/3 of all games...that said win today and one against Vegas/Kraken is mandatory.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
So some interesting stats: with Nuge and Hyman at 20 goals the Oilers are the only team with four 20 goal scorers (top 25 in goals). Next closest is Toronto with 3 and then Winnipeg and Buffalo with 2.

That said, it's a precipitous drop off for the Oilers after Nuge and Hyman with Kostin being 5th in goals with 7 so far. But it's not so bad when you look at other teams' goal scoring: 14 teams don't have even one 20 goal scorer so far; 14 teams also only have four (or less) 10 goal scorers.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So some interesting stats: with Nuge and Hyman at 20 goals the Oilers are the only team with four 20 goal scorers (top 25 in goals). Next closest is Toronto with 3 and then Winnipeg and Buffalo with 2.

That said, it's a precipitous drop off for the Oilers after Nuge and Hyman with Kostin being 5th in goals with 7 so far. But it's not so bad when you look at other teams' goal scoring: 14 teams don't have even one 20 goal scorer so far; 14 teams also only have four (or less) 10 goal scorers.
By the end of the season we could have 6 if Kane and Kostin can hit the mark.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
S
Kane is the most articulate and media-savvy player the Oilers have ever had. He always gives thoughtful answers. If a reporter gets pissy he can respond in a considered, humorous way without sounding like a dick.

Speaking of Kane, having seen that he can already fire the puck pretty well in practice, what does everybody think his chances of hitting 20 goals for the year are? He started the year with 5 goals.

If his first game back is January 21st against Vancouver that would give him 35 games to get 15 more goals, so he'd have to score at a 0.43 goal/game clip to hit 20. For comparison Nuge is currently scoring at a 0.46 goal/game rate.

He's coming off an injury, but he seems undaunted and he's a confident dude. He'll also be on McDavid or Draisaitl's wing probably 90% of the time. If I gave you 7/1 odds for him to hit 20 goals would you take that bet?

Reactions: Anemia and Oilhawks

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
hey mcdavid I got you some biosteel for your birthday! Only caveat is you have to stroke my hand as you receive your gift, James woods style

• Wow
Reactions: gordonhught

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
By the end of the season we could have 6 if Kane and Kostin can hit the mark.
Kostin won't as he's riding an impressive shooting percentage so far that logic suggests should dip a bit as the season rolls along.

But there's still chance Kane could.

I wouldn't rule out Yamo either as he scored 12 in the second half last year, which wouldn't put him too far off 20, and he is a bit off his career shooting percentage so far this year (14.5 -> 10.0). We also know he'll keep getting chances in the top 6 unlike some of the other guys we'd like to see getting opportunities.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm just hoping they can replicate last years second half. They're going to need to.

I don't think it's a personal issue. These are good hockey players. The expectations are high because of this.

It's the mental state of the team that scares me. I don't think they've all "Bought" in so to say. I'm hoping urgency fixes that.. and I'm hoping they feel it now before it's too late.

This league has to much parity to have a team where only 75%-80% is willing to play for each other. Regardless of having McDavid.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Kane is the most articulate and media-savvy player the Oilers have ever had. He always gives thoughtful answers. If a reporter gets pissy he can respond in a considered, humorous way without sounding like a dick.
Guy is so well spoken, when I first heard him speak after all the rumors before he became an oiler, he literally blew me away.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I’m so pissy today. If they put me in Yamamoto’s jersey and gave me a shift I’d try to put the puck through people I’m so angry. AHHHHHHHHH

My woman wants me to make her a mom. If a dog can make me feel like this after one annoying night I can’t imagine what a screaming human would make me feel like.. is there a job out there that can harness my anger safely?

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I’m so pissy today. If they put me in Yamamoto’s jersey and gave me a shift I’d try to put the puck through people I’m so angry. AHHHHHHHHH

My woman wants me to make her a mom. If a dog can make me feel like this after one annoying night I can’t imagine what a screaming human would make me feel like..
Whoa whoa whoa big fella. There is a lot to unpack here.

Roughly how old are you?
Are you married?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kostin won't as he's riding an impressive shooting percentage so far that logic suggests should dip a bit as the season rolls along.

But there's still chance Kane could.

I wouldn't rule out Yamo either as he scored 12 in the second half last year, which wouldn't put him too far off 20, and he is a bit off his career shooting percentage so far this year (14.5 -> 10.0). We also know he'll keep getting chances in the top 6 unlike some of the other guys we'd like to see getting opportunities.
He has the skill, it's about the opportunity and minutes that he gets. I would not write him off, he's more than a third of the way there and that's with him only getting top 6 minutes for a short amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad